Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Midwest Winter Weather (November 24-26, 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Midwest Winter Weather (November 24-26, 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by wrp96
I don't know about Chicago, but I know here the wind was the issue. Even an inch of snow is a problem with 30 mph sustained winds, and gusts up to 60mph.
Last night, I was listening to LiveATC and overheard UA640 (ORD-PHL) getting stuck in the snow on Y on the way to 4R. At one point, they were down to only 4R as snow removal equipment broke down on 4L.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fgirard

Last night, I was listening to LiveATC and overheard UA640 (ORD-PHL) getting stuck in the snow on Y on the way to 4R. At one point, they were down to only 4R as snow removal equipment broke down on 4L.
UA640 ended up getting cancelled last night
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:26 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
i am only seeing rain in the forecast for Chicago so why do they have a weather advisory for rain. It just seems UA management go onto a panic if is not sunny
there. It’s their job especially on a holiday weekend to get people where they need to go.
Absolutely brutal in Chicago today. 45 MPH winds and sideways sleet/snow. MDW/ORD basically shuttered.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by eng3
UA640 ended up getting cancelled last night
I figured that it was going to get cancelled as the tug that was dispatched to retrieve it got stuck in the snow.

ETA: All runways are NOTAM’ed closed, with 4L and 10L expected to reopen at 9am.

Last edited by fgirard; Nov 26, 2018 at 7:04 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The routing routes for ORD-PHL are

CHI-EWR/WAS-PHL

How would this work with a weather waive??? A more complex routing on the same days as the waiver??

SDC on the app sometimes offers routings outside the fare rules but word is that is getting tighter also.
Routing rules go out the door for weather waivers. Even fare buckets really don't matter (unsure about basic economy). If you're in economy, an agent can put you in any economy fare bucket up to and including Y. For business class, up to F. This is explicitly stated in the waivers.

I have numerous examples I can cite. Most recently, I had YYZ-DTW turn into YYZ-IAH-DTW.

Last year this time, I had DTW-IAH-QRO morph into DTW-SFO-LAX-IAH-QRO.

No need to make things overly complicated when there's a weather waiver. My argument for trying to turn ORD-PHL into ORD-IAH-PHL would have been "there's space available and I think it gives me the best chance to get out." If an agent doesn't agree, politely HUCA. Force feeding them flights you want will go a long way.

Originally Posted by usflyer16
Where can one find the permitted routings between city pairs?
Most of us on here use ExpertFlyer

Originally Posted by eng3
OK, so changes using a weather waiver on the same day require the routing to be equal or less complex?
And SDC is more flexible?

Good to know, thanks
No, see my comments above. How did everything play out for you? And what I've noticed, is that for weather waivers affecting your flight (and lengthy delays), you lose the ability to SDC, but instead are replaced with the weather waiver change (which is better/more flexible, as it also allows you to change nearby departing and arrival airports and up to two days later).

Last edited by BThumme; Nov 26, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think if there is a flight irregularity, the United App marks your PNR somehow and you are free to change, change and change...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Routing rules go out the door for weather waivers.
This is not true. However, as you've pointed out, an agent can waive the rules.

I have numerous examples I can cite. Most recently, I had YYZ-DTW turn into YYZ-IAH-DTW.

Last year this time, I had DTW-IAH-QRO morph into DTW-SFO-LAX-IAH-QRO.
Just based on the waiver? Or based on actual IRROPS? Were there other, more sensible options available?

No need to make things overly complicated when there's a weather waiver. My argument for trying to turn ORD-PHL into ORD-IAH-PHL would have been "there's space available and I think it gives me the best chance to get out." If an agent doesn't agree, politely HUCA. Force feeding them flights you want will go a long way.
Sure, if you're comfortable making that argument, if you can make it make sense, and if you can get an agent who's good enough to be able to make the change comfortably but bad enough not to look and see if there are better options to try to help you out. But note that we're actually in agreement here -- you're suggesting you'd need to make a convincing argument to get what you wanted. We just differ on how convincing the argument needs to be. It may well come down to your social engineering skills.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is not true. However, as you've pointed out, an agent can waive the rules.

Just based on the waiver? Or based on actual IRROPS? Were there other, more sensible options available?
Just based on the weather waiver. What is sensible is up to the flyer. I would rather fly overnight (for irrops or weather) rather then be delayed overnight at an airport or miss my flights all together due to potential disruptions.

My YYZ-IAH-DTW was two weeks ago. There was a small winter storm that affected a lot of the NE. My YYZ-DTW was cancelled (all for the day were). What's really a sensible alternative? ORD/EWR/IAD? All those were delayed about 3 hours if not cancelled. If they weren't originally delayed, they ended up being. IAH however was not delayed, and would allow me to still connect to DTW the same day. I don't think anyone (outside of here) would ever say that makes sense. But to me, it did. I also like flying, so don't mind being on a plane. Since the weather was fine in IAH, I thought it was a legitimate argument. Being on all UA metal helped.

Last year I was flying to QRO. There was another bad winter storm coming through ORD and DTW projected for the next morning. I asked to be rerouted through SFO to avoid having issues the next morning, and not being on the hook for a hotel (since I reminded the agent that I wouldn't be covered for a hotel if needed due to weather, (even though I book with a card that has travel protection)). I was able to fly overnight and make it to QRO without issue. Sensible? Probably not. But what I do know is that it allowed me to get to my destination on time, which I wouldn't have been able to if I tried to be sensible.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Sure, if you're comfortable making that argument, if you can make it make sense, and if you can get an agent who's good enough to be able to make the change comfortably but bad enough not to look and see if there are better options to try to help you out. But note that we're actually in agreement here -- you're suggesting you'd need to make a convincing argument to get what you wanted. We just differ on how convincing the argument needs to be. It may well come down to your social engineering skills.
Especially during winter storms (or any major disruptions), the agents are already flooded with calls. They are going to plug into their computer the same search we see and look for all nonstop alternatives (maybe other airlines if you have status and are lucky), followed by one stops that the computer defaults too. What's a "better" option might not really be a better option, just easier to make and to get on to the next call. I think you can make any argument for a reroute, no matter how crazy it is. To me, I don't think it comes down to social engineering skills, but rather how bad do you want to make the change?

It's also worth stating that I'm a 1K, so maybe that puts me in a better position then others who would try to make the same requests.

Last edited by BThumme; Nov 26, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just based on the weather waiver. What is sensible is up to the flyer. I would rather fly overnight (for irrops or weather) rather then be delayed overnight at an airport or miss my flights all together due to potential disruptions.

My YYZ-IAH-DTW was two weeks ago. There was a small winter storm that affected a lot of the NE. My YYZ-DTW was cancelled (all for the day were). What's really a sensible alternative? ORD/EWR/IAD? All those were delayed about 3 hours if not cancelled. If they weren't originally delayed, they ended up being. IAH however was not delayed, and would allow me to still connect to DTW the same day. I don't think anyone (outside of here) would ever say that makes sense. But to me, it did. I also like flying, so don't mind being on a plane. Since the weather was fine in IAH, I thought it was a legitimate argument. Being on all UA metal helped.
If all of those flights were already delayed or cancelled at that point, then I agree that YYZ-IAH-DTW is a perfectly reasonable re-route. I just wouldn't expect to get an agent to agree to that in advance, based on the possibility of bad weather. At least, not without an argument. I'm used to agents assuring me that flights will operate on time even when I know they won't.

Last year I was flying to QRO. There was another bad winter storm coming through ORD and DTW projected for the next morning. I asked to be rerouted through SFO to avoid having issues the next morning, and not being on the hook for a hotel (since I reminded the agent that I wouldn't be covered for a hotel if needed due to weather, (even though I book with a card that has travel protection)). I was able to fly overnight and make it to QRO without issue. Sensible? Probably not. But what I do know is that it allowed me to get to my destination on time, which I wouldn't have been able to if I tried to be sensible.
Again, that's perfectly understandable to me, assuming that there weren't any DTW-IAH flights that evening (or that they were full).

Especially during winter storms (or any major disruptions), the agents are already flooded with calls. They are going to plug into their computer the same search we see and look for all nonstop alternatives (maybe other airlines if you have status and are lucky), followed by one stops that the computer defaults too. What's a "better" option might not really be a better option, just easier to make and to get on to the next call. I think you can make any argument for a reroute, no matter how crazy it is. To me, I don't think it comes down to social engineering skills, but rather how bad do you want to make the change?

It's also worth stating that I'm a 1K, so maybe that puts me in a better position then others who would try to make the same requests.
I imagine a 1K gets somewhat more deference than a non-1K, but I've had plenty of pushback from the 1K desk on seemingly-sensible requests. (I was booked GUM-NRT/HND-SFO-AUS, and two agents refused to put me onto GUM-NRT-DEN-AUS despite there being a hurricane waiver in place).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
5:58 am:
Originally Posted by leonidas
in chicago, the snow prediction was totally overblown once again. It was like 3 inches, as opposed to the prediction of up to 13.
7:13 am:
Originally Posted by lih
absolutely brutal in chicago today. 45 mph winds and sideways sleet/snow. Mdw/ord basically shuttered.
7:26 am:
Originally Posted by fgirard
all runways are notam’ed closed, with 4l and 10l expected to reopen at 9am.

Last edited by ajGoes; Nov 26, 2018 at 12:54 pm Reason: Change times to Chicago time
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes

And, my flight was even further delayed because the jetway was broken and required building maintenance to repair as there was a considerable space between the jetway and the door. The GAs improvised for the arriving passengers by borrowing a ramp from UAX, but apparently they couldn’t use that for boarding.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mainline flight was the only one operating on-time into ORD today from my origin. 2 flights last night cancelled. Flight this morning before mine was cancelled. Flight after mine was delayed for hours.

We boarded and got ATC hold as we were ready to depart. Waited an hour and taxied out for slot. Waited 1/2 hour and back to gate. Pilot says ground stop into ORD. Next update is 14:30 CST.

Flight after mine still delayed and the one after already cancelled.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Originally Posted by leonidas
In Chicago, the snow prediction was totally overblown once again. It was like 3 inches, as opposed to the prediction of up to 13.
Official total @ ORD was 7.4. I'd say the 1000+ cancellations, blizzard conditions, multiple ground stops, etc. would argue it wasn't overblown.
rmadisonwi, wrp96 and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rolltribe
Official total @ ORD was 7.4. I'd say the 1000+ cancellations, blizzard conditions, multiple ground stops, etc. would argue it wasn't overblown.
Yes. And also with this storm there was a big spread between what was forecast in downtown Chicago, and in the NW suburbs / ORD area.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by Bear96
Yes. And also with this storm there was a big spread between what was forecast in downtown Chicago, and in the NW suburbs / ORD area.
Yes, indeed.

Snowfall tapered off rapidly in Chicago/Cook County from 9-inches in Arlington Heights, 7-inches at O’Hare to 4-inches at Midway and just an inch or two along the lakefront.
https://wgntv.com/2018/11/26/a-foot-...st-of-chicago/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.