December 13 - FA Day of Action

Plan accordingly.

https://unitedafa.org/news/2018/11/2...F_GvZ_HdgYm7UY

December 13, 2018 - System-Wide Day of Action

Date: November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

pdf version

Dear Flying Partners:

We need you – the power of our Union. Our contract is the product of collective bargaining. It is based on two principles:

1) Our Contract provides job protections, pay, benefits, work rules, retirement, and quality of life in exchange for our commitment to meet the requirements of the job.

2) Collective bargaining is based on the principle that a contract can be bargained when the company must deal with all of us together. It is a balance of power and the means to have a voice at work when otherwise the employer holds all of the power in the workplace.

The truth is that we all want United Airlines to succeed and we all want to take pride in a job well done. The principles of CORE4 - safe, caring, dependable, efficient – are welcome, but this company mantra is #COREd when management fails to deliver their end of the bargain. #Enough!

The new cuts to staffing and service in a time of massive profits is the last straw, but the reality is that management is failing to deliver on several fronts. The continuing glitches, contract provisions that haven’t been implemented because of automation limitations are nothing less than unacceptable. The contract is clear and in every case it’s up to management to keep their end of the bargain.

We can file grievances. We are and we will. But nothing substitutes the immediate results we can achieve by exercising our power together. The United Master Executive Council voted to turn our AFA pins red and we are in the process of securing permits for a system-wide Day of Action on December 13, 2018. We are taking this fight public because our fight affects the traveling public too and management should not only be answering to Wall Street. The people on planes are the ones who matter!
  • We will stand together on December 13th to demand change:
  • Stop planned staffing and service cuts. Instead, increase staffing across the system. (Dependable, Safe, Caring, Efficient)
  • Fix payroll issues and resolve any discrepancies expeditiously. (Caring, Dependable, Efficient)
  • Ensure Flight Attendants have access to hotels in the event of severe weather and irregular operations. We’re an airline, we should start planning for irregularities so crews can be rested and ready when the airline recovers. (Safe, Caring, Dependable)
  • Ensure crew scheduling is contactable, and if not Flight Attendants self-release. (Caring, Dependable, Efficient)
  • Elimination of Continuous Overnight Duty Pairings, and multi-day all-night flying. (Safe, Caring, Efficient)
  • Stop elimination of and re-establish cross aisles on the 76A & upcoming 76L. (Safe, Caring, Efficient)
  • Relocate Flight Attendant crew rest seats on the 76A & upcoming 76L. (Safe, Caring, Efficient)
  • Eliminate Positive Check-In Now (Safe, Efficient)
  • Eliminate trade restrictions and fix excess Reserve coverage requirements that make trading nearly impossible. (Caring, Dependable, Efficient)
  • Make training requirements for events to which we are “invited” clear. (Dependable, Efficient)
  • Enhancements to Worldwide travel benefits (Dependable, Caring, Efficient)
Being Union means we have the right to enforce our agreement, call out bad business decisions, and stand together for change. Let’s all show management that we stand united in these demands and call on them to live up to their end of the agreement. Your directly elected leadership is unanimous in calling for our collective action. Put on your red pin, call your Local Council to ask what else you can do to help, and let’s all make our voices heard December 13th.

In Solidarity,

United Master Executive Council Officers

Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by topman
Plan accordingly.

December 13, 2018 - System-Wide Day of Action

Dear Flying Partners:

• Ensure Flight Attendants have access to hotels in the event of severe weather and irregular operations. We’re an airline, we should start planning for irregularities so crews can be rested and ready when the airline recovers. (Safe, Caring, Dependable)
  • Stop elimination of and re-establish cross aisles on the 76A & upcoming 76L. (Safe, Caring, Efficient)
  • Eliminate Positive Check-In Now (Safe, Efficient)
Interesting insights into the world of those who work our flights day in and day out.
Any FTers care to elaborate on the points that I've quoted above? These were issues/concerns that I've not heard of before, as opposed to the other ones.
It surprises me to know that FAs are not given hotel rooms in the event of IRROPS. I thought that would be a contractual requirement. What do they do now? Sleep in the airport?

What do they mean by "cross aisles" on the 767s? And what is Positive Check-in?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
What do they mean by "cross aisles" on the 767s?
I think this is referencing that there are no aisle crossovers aft of the business cabin until you get to the back of the aircraft for the retrofitted 763s.

Last edited by 764toHI; Nov 21, 2018 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think this is referencing that there are no aisle crossovers aft of the business cabin until you get to the back of the aircraft for the retrofitted 763s.
After flying back on the 767 Polaris Config last week from LHR in Business, I can see this was a very contentious issue. The Galley is very tight to start with, and if one FA is working, its impossible to pass by. when you have passengers crossing the galley almost constantly to use an available LAV it makes the FA service that much harder. just being a passenger I noticed how bad that was and how upset some of the FA's were. There is no other cross over in Business, and Im not even sure if there is one in Y - I didn't go back, but if the only other way across was the Galley In the rear, thats tough on both cabins.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:26 am

So now they have integrated and want to bargain like this. Maybe UA management will go back to disintegration lol.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Wasn't claimed that the long over due union merger would improve operations?

It certainly looks like this has been in the works for a while.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I am on board with the FAs in this case. With respect to the 76A/L issues, the lack of crossovers (also on the 764) forces passengers to move through FA workspaces during busy periods (boarding, meal service) or to attempt to step through passenger seats in the cabin, which is obnoxious. I also am strongly against the staffing cuts.

The company had a LONG time to get the tech side of the FA integration right. There's no way to avoid many of the hiccups, but if the contract still hasn't been fully implemented (or the company is deliberately ignoring provisions thereof), then FAs are entitled to voice their displeasure. This isn't a illegal strike or wildcat action (also illegal), and shouldn't affect operations, but it is a valid, public display of concerns which need to be addressed, IMO. Any public displays or picketing will be conducted by off-duty FAs.

There is a great deal of cognitive dissonance between the company's financial reports, long-term outlook, performance, etc. and the spin put on many of these significantly-negative changes to the passenger experience. FAs are right to call out management here.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by transportprof
Interesting insights into the world of those who work our flights day in and day out.
Any FTers care to elaborate on the points that I've quoted above? These were issues/concerns that I've not heard of before, as opposed to the other ones.
It surprises me to know that FAs are not given hotel rooms in the event of IRROPS. I thought that would be a contractual requirement. What do they do now? Sleep in the airport?

What do they mean by "cross aisles" on the 767s? And what is Positive Check-in?
i suspect they do get hotels but likely not enough in certain cases so they are ask8ng for more proactive provisioning.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:21 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by EWR764
This isn't a illegal strike or wildcat action (also illegal), and shouldn't affect operations.
Reassuring as someone who is travelling that day, so any ideas or thoughts on what we are likely to see and experience?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
This isn't a illegal strike or wildcat action (also illegal), and shouldn't affect operations.
Lots of stomach bugs and flu like symptoms around the 13th of December though I hear
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I feel for them but assume “more worldwide travel benefits” = “J becomes ‘crew class’”?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TMC
Reassuring as someone who is travelling that day, so any ideas or thoughts on what we are likely to see and experience?
There have been "days of action" before; generally they involve picketing and other public displays to attract media attention. I wouldn't anticipate a mass sickout; in the past such actions (to the extent they are coordinated) have been deemed illegal "self-help".

We aren't at the point where the workgroup is gearing up for some sort of job action, but this is a confrontation the company will need to take seriously before things escalate. My greater fear is "work to rule", which would have a more widespread and negative customer impact. We saw that with the pilots around their contract negotiations and it was a constant headache.
TMC, In2ishn and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Lots of stomach bugs and flu like symptoms around the 13th of December though I hear
Is someone going to taint the catering? Why should I expect a stomach bug or flu if flying on Dec. 13?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I noticed that the letter from the union (posted upthread) was signed by three apparently male union officers, despite there being many female FAs, including many with lots of seniority, although I don't know the numbers.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
When are they going to improve the service delivery?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.