1K swag for consecutive years

Old Nov 21, 18, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
1K swag for consecutive years

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Last year after moving to Denver, United became my sole carrier (gosh I miss Delta). I got thank you letters, coupons, and swag (brag tags, coasters, and yellow luggage wrap) as I crossed Gold, Platinum, and then 1K.

I hit 1K again early in Q3. I've gotten nothing this year as I continued my loyalty. Does United only splurge on newbies? Or did I slip through the cracks somehow?

Side question: Does the term 1K drive anyone else bonkers? It should be 100K. Amirite?
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by ajmeboy View Post

Last year after moving to Denver, United became my sole carrier (gosh I miss Delta). I got thank you letters, coupons, and swag (brag tags, coasters, and yellow luggage wrap) as I crossed Gold, Platinum, and then 1K.

I hit 1K again early in Q3. I've gotten nothing this year as I continued my loyalty. Does United only splurge on newbies? Or did I slip through the cracks somehow?

Side question: Does the term 1K drive anyone else bonkers? It should be 100K. Amirite?
Welcome aboard!
As long as my seat is between the nose and tail and inside I try not to complain t00 much.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Usually takes a couple months. 1K is vestige of a green screen 2 digit field
LIH likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
When you qualify for the first time to a level you get the swag mid-year, which is why you got things when you hit gold, plat, and then 1K.

when you requalify you don't get the swag midyear, just early in the following year for whatever status you ultimately reached. (i.e., they're not sending you a gold luggage tag in June when you're already 1K for the remainder of the year).
LIH likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:27 pm
Suspended

You want recognition??? LOL He's new!!!
Dublin_rfk, ajmeboy and UA_Flyer like this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 12:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by sanfran8080 View Post
Hey, I recognize you!
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:05 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
I hit 2MM 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting for a simple congratulatory email. Stop being so demanding, you think they are in the business of recognizing loyal customers. LOL
cruisr and twomonger like this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Welcome to 2MM mile land! You need to update you profile now!
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Thanks for the remind. Done.
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Welcome to FlyerTalk, ajmeboy!

If you've re-qualified, you'll get your 1K swag around the turn of the new year. Otherwise, you and 30,000 others will post to FlyerTalk that they're still waiting.

WRT 1K, as noted above, it is a heritage/pmUA term. Others were 1P, 2P.

Originally Posted by Asknorm View Post
Thanks for the remind. Done.
No, no, no - y'gotta wait until UA acknowledges you've made the jump - only then do you update your status on FT!

David
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

Once you achieve a given status level itís back to ďwhat have you done for me latelyĒ.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
.... Last year after moving to Denver, United became my sole carrier (gosh I miss Delta). I got thank you letters, coupons, and swag (brag tags, coasters, and yellow luggage wrap) as I crossed Gold, Platinum, and then 1K.

If you achieve a new status level, the new status welcome package goes out 4-6 weeks after achieving the new level. UA stops doing this around late November / early December.

However for requailiers, such as yourself. the renewal welcome package goes out in January for most. Some earlier, some later.
So your present situation is normal and you should get the 1K items in January.

.... Does the term 1K drive anyone else bonkers? It should be 100K. Amirite?
There are historical reasons for this.

Going way back, UA allocated two spaces in the customer database to record status. And used 2P for what is now Silver -- previously called Premier, 1P for what is now Gold - Previously called Premier Executive, GS for Global Services and for 100K folks UA used 1K. Even 3P was used at one time for nominated status

The two character code 1K has been used for decades (1K Line, 1K Room, ...) and there would likely be an uproar if UA changed it --- It's tradition!

You are not the first to be puzzled by this
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Definitely keep the "1K" moniker. Maybe it will make it harder for UA to increase the number of required PQM's, like they did PQD's. (What's next? "1.25K"?)
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by sanfran8080 View Post
Give the newbe a break (at least for a minute) itís his first poast.
ajmeboy likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The sad reality is that United (and I assume the others) used to try and make you feel special for milestones. Upgrades were plentiful etc, but the reality is that we have had everything sliced and diced away from us over the last number of years that expecting and accepting nothing with a smile is the way.

I remember when I first qualified for silver 15 years ago, I thought it was great. I was getting some upgrades, boarding early, and now being Silver doesnít even get you a choice of seat before the check in window.

15 years later having been COntinental Platinum or 1K every year since, I have absolutely seen benefits slashed to the point of questioning why anyone would give them loyalty.

So, for a new poster to ask the question of recognition, and being lightly teased about it shows how far we have fallen.

Iíll finish this year with close to 250,000 butt in seat miles for 2018, and a not a single RPU/GPU cleared. With some that rolled over from last year, I will finish the year with over 30 expiring unused.

As someone who flies different destinations daily as opposed to a specific routing, I laugh at the lack of clearances. I couldnít clear Houston to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio on multiple attempts despite using instruments. Couldnít clear a single flight out of IAD. EWR. ORD or DEN. No transcons cleared, no mid cons cleared, and none of the above type sub 90 minutes cleared. Not a single time. As I book travel for now 12 people who are all traveling most days, I see more or less the same on their travel patterns. Certainly less than 5% upgrades across the board for the 12 of them.

As we fly plenty of carriers, the reality is that the numbers are not significantly better on the other carriers and then the remaining carriers do not really do what we need.

So, with that, welcome to Silver, for someone who didnít necessarily fly a lot of before this job, having to fly 25 segments or 25,000 miles in a year seems like a lot at the beginning, so well done

Search this Thread
Search Engine: