Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Surplus beverage vouchers - what do you do with them?

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum

It's been a good year travelling up front, which means that we have not used a single one of our drink vouchers.
For those of you who have surplus at the end of the year, what do you do with them?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
I hang on to them and give them to friends, family and colleagues.

Despite the expiration dates, the FAs will (almost always) still take them.
drewguy, Collierkr and narvik like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I give them out to uniformed military folks in the boarding area!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Keep them for next year. I think I'm up to the ones that expire in 2016 at the moment...
chavala, drewguy and AugustW like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by docbert
Keep them for next year. I think I'm up to the ones that expire in 2016 at the moment...
Yeah, I think I cleared those out just recently myself. Family is another use - family trips in domestic coach (vs. my usual international, albeit coach) are a good use.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Since I am always flying around Christmas time, I usually hand them out to the folks in Y on those flights.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Since I am always flying around Christmas time, I usually hand them out to the folks in Y on those flights.
I should hand them to my neighbors in Y since UA gives me a free drink when I'm in my Exit row seat. I have given some to my colleagues but most of them tend to fly Delta where they are useless.

Changing the subject slightly but still in the spirit of using the beverage vouchers, I wish that they would allow us to use them in the UC to get a slightly better wine than the one provided free.
BeanTownBoy, Collierkr and willryu like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I have a few sheets of Continental Currency gathering dust somewhere...
chavala and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Do a cheap Basic Economy run somewhere, get drunk.
Repooc17, Fizzer and Brucemcdou like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Theyre a nice treat for some of my coworkers who fly less often. Whenever I hear an admin or someone is traveling on vacation, I give them a handful of drink chits.

I dont really drink, so the 1k freebie drink and drink chits arent valuable to me, but others seem to appreciate the thought.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
That's what I do.

One year on a flight to Montreal on Christmas Eve, I distributed 8-10 vouchers. I took one back from a young man who said he was 19. Later I felt like the Grinch because the legal drinking age is 18 in Quebec.
Gnopps likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bamboola
That's what I do.

One year on a flight to Montreal on Christmas Eve, I distributed 8-10 vouchers. I took one back from a young man who said he was 19. Later I felt like the Grinch because the legal drinking age is 18 in Quebec.
UA follows US laws, so they do not serve anyone under 21, even outside of the US.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I have never had an FA check the expiration dates. I even have some issues before that dates on them.

like others have said I give them to friends. Occasionally we a seat mate reaches for their wallet to pay for their drink, I hand them a voucher.

Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
AA people hide them in the Admirals Club and then there's a thread on the AA forum where they are. Not everyone in the Admirals Club get free drinks. You could hide them in whatever clubs you attend then post clues here.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Thanks for all the insight! Normally we give them to friends and family, but being based in the UK, and with a family member working for AS, there haven't been any takers this year.
So, since they're often accepted past their sell by date, we'll hang on to them for now before considering hiding them in the clubs and posting clues - that's quite made my day!
drewguy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.