Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYC <--> FRA: UA E+ / LH / SQ in the back of the bus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

It has been several years since I've had to make this choice, but fam of four with two kids making the trip on the way down to JNB. UA E+ seems sensible but not sure if better service from LH or SQ makes it worth the switch. Yes we are stuck in coach. Thank you;
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I would pick UA E+ any day for the added legroom. If you are happy with the shorter pitch both LH and SQ have slightly better soft product in Y.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Does UA run the retrofitted 772 on this route with PE? That would be the best of all scenarios, since it's still complementary for elites.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Does UA run the retrofitted 772 on this route with PE? That would be the best of all scenarios, since it's still complementary for elites.
EWR-FRA will be 764 until 30MAR19 wheree it will be switched to 78J. In any case, I would pick UA E+ over LH/SQ and chance to select PE seats on 78J while it lasts.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pduck01
.... UA E+ seems sensible but not sure if better service from LH or SQ makes it worth the switch. ...
Service is in the eye of the beholder --really depends on what you value.
E+ is more of a physical issue. Do you need leg space? Do you need seat width?

Personally, soft service items mean far less to me than physical comfort. But that's me.
Dublin_rfk and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Service is in the eye of the beholder --really depends on what you value.
For me the service items I value more are things on the ground. Y travel is the same to me once I am settled in my seat provided there is reasonable IFE. E plus is good but not be all and end all. The bigger factors for me when comparing carriers in Y would be things like ability to choose my seating, priority boarding, lounge access, PQMs, RDMs, baggage allowance, possibility for upgrades, hand luggage allowance and strictness of enforcement, ticket cost, timing and transfers, benefits to co-travelers etc. Without question SQ is (in my opinion) a marginally better Y experience than LH or UA, but when I put the package together, I would almost never choose SQ over either UA or LH. For me it would be UA>LH>SQ. In J it is different because then there are more distinct differences in the hard and soft products of the three carries than will sway one in one direction of another (for me SQ>UA>LH or LH (with possibility of using GPU)>SQ>UA)

Last edited by ani90; Nov 19, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've flown LH in the back and felt from takeoff to landing, I felt I was crammed in my seat. It was miserable, and I'd have really loved the extra legroom of E+ on UA. I can't think of a single good thing about the flight. The service was not better than UA which isn't saying much.

I've not flown SQ in the back - I personally find SQ overrated in Biz on FT, so I can't imagine what service I'd get in E on SQ to make up for the extra legroom of E+.

I'd take E+ on UA. If not for E+ and if one didn't care about FF status, I don't think it would really matter who you fly at that point.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
In my opinion the ranking is: UA E+ > SQ > LH = UA E-

But I'm 6'6", so legroom is most important for me. Service in UA is almost on par with LH in my opinion.

Also no Lifetime Miles on LH of course, but that might not be a huge issue
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

It really depends on the plane. As long as it is a 767 or 787 E+ is a no brainer. If it is a 777 with the 10 abreast seating I would suggest SQ as the seating is more comfortable then the LH seating on the A380.

So long
-Ralf
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
OP here. These are award tickets so PQM et al not a consideration. I’m 6’2”. UA award seats now not open (will have to beg agent to marry segments later) - so for now it is LH or SQ.

Am I correct that UA never shows SQ business award seats even if inventory is open and I need to call for that? Does expert flyer work for SQ or LH? Sorry out of date on topics.

Thank you.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hirohito888
EWR-FRA will be 764 until 30MAR19 wheree it will be switched to 78J. In any case, I would pick UA E+ over LH/SQ and chance to select PE seats on 78J while it lasts.
This is incorrect. UA 960 EWR-FRA is served by a 772 in the winter schedule - and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. It frequently sees the Polaris version.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Also consider that starting on UA metal gives your whole family the 1K baggage benefits.
You'll only get *G benefits elsewhere.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
will have to beg agent to marry segments later
That's not possible, at least not in any meaningful way.
Am I correct that UA never shows SQ business award seats even if inventory is open and I need to call for that?
SQ does not as a matter of policy release long-haul business class seats for UA awards. Calling won't help. And even if you're using SQ KF miles, JFK-FRA in J or F is a notoriously difficult award.

For LH awards, there is no better search tool than the UA website.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by aero219
This is incorrect. UA 960 EWR-FRA is served by a 772 in the winter schedule - and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. It frequently sees the Polaris version.
Ok fine, 772 runs until 18DEC18 then it's 764 until 29MAR19 and then 78J onwards.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ does not as a matter of policy release long-haul business class seats for UA awards.
Agreed as a general rule, although they were available on the nonstop California routes for a couple of weeks, intentionally or not.

That said, SQ awards can absolutely be booked on United.com, which wasn’t true for a couple of years as they squabbled over redemption rates. OP is probably thinking back to that era when you had to call to book any SQ award, including regional J (for which their availability is excellent).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.