Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about NRT-GUM-YAP flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Questions about NRT-GUM-YAP flight

My friend is flying SFO-NRT-GUM-YAP tomorrow, the connection at GUM is 45mins. The UA apps showed that NRT-GUM, and GUM-YAP using the same plane
Q1: Does passenger go through border control at NRT or GUM? The agent on the phone told her that border control is at NRT. just want to make sure that is the case.
Q2: If passenger doesn't need to go through border control at GUM, can the passenger stay on the plane? or they have to get off the plane and get back to the plane again.
Q3: Is it possible that if NRT-GUM delayed, and GUM-YAP switched to a different plane? Therefore my friend will miss the connection and stuck on GUM.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Q1 No this is wrong there's no reason to go through border security at NRT for an I-I connection.
Q2 Everybody off the plane.
Q3 Yes, they can swap planes and have a missed connection.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
Q1 No this is wrong there's no reason to go through border security at NRT for an I-I connection.
Q2 Everybody off the plane.
Q3 Yes, they can swap planes and have a missed connection.
So the border control is at GUM airport? How about luggage?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
According to flight status
NRT-GUM IS A 777
GUM-YAP IS A 737
so you have to change plane in GUM.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

For Nov 20th, NRT-GUM and GUM-YAP is the same 738. Do you think if GUM-YAP will hold the flight? The only problem is that GUM-YAP is twice weekly. My friend is taking the next flight back on Nov 25th. And she is on US student visa, not sure how will that affect the time in Guan's immigration.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
My bad I didn't see the second NRT to GUM on the 737.
They only have one flight GUM to YAP. So if they offer that connection that means it is feasible for sure.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chebert999
My bad I didn't see the second NRT to GUM on the 737.
They only have one flight GUM to YAP. So if they offer that connection that means it is feasible for sure.
I did a quick check on arrival and departure at GUM, looks like the last arrival before UA 197 (NRT-GUM) is 2~3 hrs ago, and only departure after UA197 arrival is UA 185. Hopefully this means no line at immigration and security.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by quintic
So the border control is at GUM airport? How about luggage?
1. Go through US CBP immigration. Proceed downstairs.
2. Go through Guam customs with carry-on. (Fill out Guam customs form ahead of time.)
3. Exit landside, go back upstairs for TSA security check.
4. Proceed to gate.

Guam is small enough an operation, and that hour is quiet both for arrival and departure. And since GUM-YAP is international they have to pull your bag if you don't show. All these mean they know who's coming and going. So unless you disappear into the bathroom for a prolonged period of time, you should be fine.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I made it through customs at GUM in like 15 mins last week when there, and that was with multiple Korean flights rolling in at the same time. Everyone is chilled and relax.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Update: my friend made the connection, it is quite easy.
However, the border control give her some potential problem. Her itinerary is US-GUM-YAP, YAP-GUM-ROR, ROR-GUM-US, and she is on student visa.
The border control told her that they let her pass through GUM as transit because her original flight is from US, (or destination is to US). The border control guy is stating that F1 visa is only for studying or OPT training. (implying not good for transit at Guam, if origination or destination is not US)
The next leg of the flight is the problem, YAP-GUM-ROR, there is no direct flight from YAP-ROR. I have read IATA's database, it only points to valid US visa. (no mention of F1 or other visa).
Is this 1) Guam specific thing? 2) the border control making up things? I don't think this would be an issue in mainland US.
Any solutions? One thing I can think about is to book a full fare Y for flight GUM-HNL and cancel it after border control. But I think it is ridiculous.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The border control told her that they let her pass through GUM as transit because her original flight is from US, (or destination is to US). The border control guy is stating that F1 visa is only for studying or OPT training. (implying not good for transit at Guam, if origination or destination is not US)
This is entirely consistent with the terms of the visa.

The next leg of the flight is the problem, YAP-GUM-ROR, there is no direct flight from YAP-ROR. I have read IATA's database, it only points to valid US visa. (no mention of F1 or other visa).
Is this 1) Guam specific thing? 2) the border control making up things? I don't think this would be an issue in mainland US.
Your friend does not have a valid transit visa, so IATA’s database isn’t at fault. I don’t think border control is making things up, and I doubt it’s a Guam-specific thing; if anything, they’re more lenient there, as they have their own immigration rules with waivers for the CNMI and (I think) some other nearby Micronesian countries. It seems harsh, sure, since an F1 visa has to be more difficult to get than a transit visa, but I understand the officer’s point.

Any solutions? One thing I can think about is to book a full fare Y for flight GUM-HNL and cancel it after border control. But I think it is ridiculous.
Your friend needs to contact the appropriate US embassy or consulate ASAP and try to get it straightened out. What you’ve suggested is an awful idea, as your friend would be risking the F1 visa and any future admittance into the US. (In addition to risking having UA cancel their itinerary for having two conflicting reservations). It is never a good idea to try to defraud border control.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
There is no US consulate serving Yap, but there may be local charter flights serving YAP-ROR. Or even somehow by boat. Then just cancel YAP-GUM-ROR and continue on with the last ticket.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
There is no US consulate serving Yap
Well, there is, but it’s in Pohnpei, which is less than convenient. I’d reach out to them via phone or email and see what they suggest, but I’d also try OP’s friend’s home country, since often consular matters are expected to go through the embassy / country responsible for one’s residence.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Update: my friend made the connection, it is quite easy.
However, the border control give her some potential problem. Her itinerary is US-GUM-YAP, YAP-GUM-ROR, ROR-GUM-US, and she is on student visa.
Who gave her the hard time? Was it US CBP agents or Guam customs agents? I assume CBP agents but it's not clear from your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.