Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New FA crew bases - satellite bases MCO, PHX and SAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

FAs were apparently informed this evening that MCO, PHX and SAN will be added as "satellite" crew bases. I don't have much more in the way of details.

Goal seems to be helping distribute seniority and reducing overnight hotel costs while also reducing the number of FAs commuting to work.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
https://unitedafa.org/news/2018/11/16/premature-satellite-base-announcement

Following an information exchange meeting with a group of Flight Attendants, social media was buzzing with information about the opening of satellite bases in certain cities. Your AFA leadership, while certainly supportive of the negotiated provision for the establishment of Satellite bases, would have preferred the announcement follow the appropriate notice required under Section 17.D.1. and after having a full mutual understanding of how all of the provisions of the JCBA will apply at satellite bases. The rush to be the first one out with the news is understandable, but there are a number of unanswered questions that must be addressed.

While the United MEC Officers have had preliminary, exploratory discussions on the establishment of satellite bases in cities having large numbers of layovers with equally high commuter concentrations, there are still details of any plan to be discussed. As soon as we have complete information on the establishment of any satellite base, we will be sure to share that with you.

​​​​​​​
fezzington likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
FAs were apparently informed this evening that MCO, PHX and SAN will be added as "satellite" crew bases. I don't have much more in the way of details.

Goal seems to be helping distribute seniority and reducing overnight hotel costs while also reducing the number of FAs commuting to work.
This is great news. I hope that it solidifies United's commitment to PHX. Hopefully when the UA moves over to the new expanded T3, they'll be able to add flights and capacity.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of strange why UA would want to put more into PHX - with competition from WN and AA (which is cutting in PHX), near-by DEN/LAX/SFO and not exactly a high-yield business market. To me, BNA would be a place to expand but WN beat them to it also.

Anyway, lots of senior FAs commute to SFO from PHX. I guess this means they can move the base to PHX and cut down on the commute? Would that restrict them to the shorter flights (since they start in PHX) rather than commute to SFO and do TPAC flights and be done with their hours?
featheroleather and EWR764 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by username
Kind of strange why UA would want to put more into PHX - with competition from WN and AA (which is cutting in PHX), near-by DEN/LAX/SFO and not exactly a high-yield business market. To me, BNA would be a place to expand but WN beat them to it also.

Anyway, lots of senior FAs commute to SFO from PHX. I guess this means they can move the base to PHX and cut down on the commute? Would that restrict them to the shorter flights (since they start in PHX) rather than commute to SFO and do TPAC flights and be done with their hours?
BNA had no mainline flights a few years ago. They have geared up a bit lately but how long will it last? PHX can definitely use some extra mainline flights, they are always booked.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
As @jhayes_1780 posted, nothing has been negotiated with the union. The last time they "offered" satellite bases at sUA, the terms were so bad, it was voted down.
The timing and method of this announcement reeks:
  • FA morale is at an all time low, as many still have post-merge pay issues, the announcement of reduced intl staffing, recurring IT glitches from the merge, and a new push to avoid delays caused by gate checked bags coming from onboard when there's no more room (and such delays are now blamed on FAs).
  • AFA United MEC votes to act (more details later, but this post is neither time nor place for them)
  • The next day, management allowed a few management favorite FAs to "leak" it on social media, and followed that up with a memo from John Slater a day later -- all without consulting AFA, whilst Slater's memo says that management is "working in tandem with AFA".
  • Such bases won't open until next quarter at the earliest, and it will be a "trial run"
This is nothing more than a ploy by management to distract and splinter the workgroup (which, admittedly, is usually pretty easy to do). I would be surprised if any new bases actually come to fruition, and stay around for more than a year.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Curious why SEA wouldn’t be (back) on this list.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Can someone please explain what a "base" is?
Although I've heard the terminology on here and from FA's (and pilots) plenty of times, I never actually know what it means.
I assume a FA that commutes can live anywhere and then commute to wherever the first leg of their assignment is and then back home from the end of the last leg.
How does the "base" come into play? Do FAs who happen to live near a "base" get better pay/benefits vs ones that commute?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by username
Nothing strange at all here, since it has nothing to do with expanding flights in those markets.

Originally Posted by eng3
Although I've heard the terminology on here and from FA's (and pilots) plenty of times, I never actually know what it means.
I assume a FA that commutes can live anywhere and then commute to wherever the first leg of their assignment is and then back home from the end of the last leg.
How does the "base" come into play? Do FAs who happen to live near a "base" get better pay/benefits vs ones that commute?
No, tips start and end there.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Virtually no pax impact, but in the scheme of things can marginally improve reliability.

The company has to factor in missed trips due to an inability to commute to work as part of its reserve manpower/staffing levels. Creating a domicile and starting trips in cities with big populations of commuting FAs can alleviate some of those issues. It can also lead to reduced reserve coverage.

if it’s similar to the satellite concept at DL, to be eligible to bid in, flight attendants must live within 75 miles of the airport(s) covered. This eliminates the prospect of having commuters *into* the satellite base, which defeats its purpose. At most, we are talking about a few hundred likely more senior positions.

Overall, it’s somewhat of a bone tossed to flight attendants, but as always, the devil will be in the details.
featheroleather likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
My understanding: assignments start and end in your base. It's where you report to work, and where UA returns you to at the end of your assigned trip. If they need you to work a flight that doesn't start at your base, you deadhead on the clock to where you're needed.

If you live somewhere else, you're responsible for commuting on your own time (using NRSA benefits usually) to your base; possibly the night before and overnighting on your own dime if the first fight of your trip is a morning departure.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under the impression that "trip" (not sure about the terminology) is a pre-defined number of destinations/flights for which the FAs bid and senior FAs favor those long trips in far places (SIN, TPE, HKG, Australia from SFO). Are those far-away places part of any trips that do not originate from the big hubs?

I guess another thing maybe cost of living for the FAs? BNA is certainly a lot more expensive than PHX and MCO, for example.

Last edited by username; Nov 17, 2018 at 4:23 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:27 pm

Anyone care to post the current UA bases (besides the hubs)?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by east_west
Anyone care to post the current UA bases (besides the hubs)?
That would be interesting to know - I’ve never heard a crew say they were based outside of a hub except for one time where I flew EWR-LHR with an LHR-based crew.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: United Gold
I am curious what the bases are also..

I was on a very late EWR-PIT flight last night and was surprised that the FAs said they were based in PIT. Is that just where they live and they commute or is there a “base” here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.