Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Longer than Average Wait Time For Premier Desk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond

It seems like lately whenever I have to call United it takes forever even though the premier line. Up until recently I never waited more than a few seconds to get a hold of someone. I'm currently on hold and have been waiting over 15 minutes which is quite unfortunate since the 1(800) number isn't toll-free internationally.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
There are massive cancellations tonight so a much higher call volume.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:34 pm

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...-midwest-south
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
I’m experiencing the same on 1k line (tried twice because I thought there was a tech issue)....trying the twitter team now
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA
I assume it's because of the winter storm for EWR and the northeast. I'm a lowly silver, about to hit 1 hour wait time as I type this. Vonage app on smart phone saves me intl calling.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catbox9
I'm currently on hold and have been waiting over 15 minutes which is quite unfortunate since the 1(800) number isn't toll-free internationally.
Both Skype and Google Voice offer calls to US-based 800#s at no charge. You just need a (free) account; you don't need to load any credit into it.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Finally gave up. I'm trying to change my flight but for some reason it won't let me do it online which makes no sense at all.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:40 pm

Where are you calling from?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Both Skype and Google Voice offer calls to US-based 800#s at no charge. You just need a (free) account; you don't need to load any credit into it.
Really? Going to try to figure this out right now.

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Where are you calling from?
Trinidad and Tobago.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm in the ORD B6 United Club at the moment, and the line for the service desk is 20 people deep, and that's probably the shortest it's been since I got here an hour ago. The customer service desk in the terminal is snaked completely out of the holding area and into the terminal itself.

Countless flights to/from Newark and many other airports have either been delayed or extensively delayed. It's no surprise the phone lines are just as backed up, especially given that at least half of the people in the lines appear to be on hold to the various phone desks as well...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catbox9
Originally Posted by jsloan
Really? Going to try to figure this out right now.

Trinidad and Tobago.
It has been a while since I've needed to do it, but I think, if you have a gmail account, you just need to 'sign in' to hangouts in the gmail sidebar, and then use phone tab in the bar to make a call.

Here is one of google's reference pages:
https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3187125
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:13 pm

If you don't mind spending a few dollars, calling via Google Voice to Hong Kong is only 2 cents per minute. The staff in Hong Kong are not contracted out and can be helpful when the US lines are busy. The number is +852-2810-4888
masonp123 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Finally got through to the 1K line after a 38 minute hold. When I called in I was warned I'd be waiting 20-25 minutes. So much for good estimates.

The 1K agent told me there are more than 2,000 calls in queue right now. I'm not sure if he meant for 1K line only.

-RM
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Finally got through to the 1K line after a 38 minute hold. When I called in I was warned I'd be waiting 20-25 minutes. So much for good estimates.

The 1K agent told me there are more than 2,000 calls in queue right now. I'm not sure if he meant for 1K line only.

-RM
the estimates are off for many companies, IME.

I like it when I get offered the chance to type in my number to get a call back. UA doesn’t offer it, but many companies do.

On the the other hand, at least one can get through to hold. Maybe they’ve improved, but I had one experience with Delta during a big ATL storm and Forget about holding, you couldn’t even get on a line to hold. And I had to call because my return flight disappeared because I wasn’t properly boarded on the outbound flight. Even hours later, the next morning, I couldn’t get through to reservations, and ended up using the Slymiles number because that was the only way to get a hold of an agent.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first try at about 8:30 EST it said it will call me back in 15 minutes. It did and an agent answered in about a minute. She put me on hold and did not come back after 8 minutes so I hung up.

Tried again and waited about 15 minutes and gave up.

On my 3rd try now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.