Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Yet again standby passengers upgraded before regular waitlist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet again standby passengers upgraded before regular waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trappy
I can assure you that minutes before this screen showed that me and two above me were going to clear before it went SMI X 3 and as other poster says they were not shown on regular standby list
A non-rev waitlisted for business class would appear at the bottom of the upgrade list. If you're saying that these passengers were not present on the upgrade list at all, it's likely that there's another explanation.

(It's likely there's another explanation anyway, since an employee caught upgrading a non-rev ahead of a paying customer would be subject to termination, but that doesn't seem to stop the rampant conspiracy theories).
fightingsioux09 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
They were not on the regular wait list at all just the stand by
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
My guess is as someone else suggested that the Smisek familyi and Set were GS.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
looks fishy for sure. Unless someone was waitlisted for P or higher due to irops ... this is usually how NRSAs clear. Worth an inquiry for sure
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
looks fishy for sure. Unless someone was waitlisted for P or higher due to irops ... this is usually how NRSAs clear. Worth an inquiry for sure
Would UA concede that there was a mistake in the u/g process and make it up for OP, if it indeed happened?

(Not questioning your suggestion -cfischer- to write in)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Can someone explain the "shenanigan" for me, please?

Should someone on both upgrade and standby lists not be upgraded first, before someone just on the upgrade list? Is THAT the issue?

Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Can someone explain the "shenanigan" for me, please?

Should someone on both upgrade and standby lists not be upgraded first, before someone just on the upgrade list? Is THAT the issue?
They should first clear the UG list then the standby list. Pax listed on both standby and UG lists are NRSAs ... so those should definitely not clear first. Now, there is a priority sby list for displaced premium pax and that 'should' clear before the UG list. How that is being displayed in the new system since the change to the alphabet soup is something we don't know for sure yet.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Trappy
beeb wait listed for three months was number 3 with four seats and then four standby passengers all upgraded. Not the first tine how does this happen
@Trappy were you the K fare with the PPU?

Originally Posted by malgudi
Employee class trumps paying passengers ...
not sure that we agree with that here

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Not sure how the logic is when displaying NRPS these days, but something to consider.
NRPS would not generally clear an upgrade list before revenue pax

Originally Posted by nomad420
My guess is as someone else suggested that the Smisek familyi and Set were GS.
SMI really covers a lot of last names that are not Smisek
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by runner450
SMI really covers a lot of last names that are not Smisek
Yes, including the most common American surname.

But I believe everyone (including myself) referring to the SMI group is joking about it being Smisek because of the fun we like to have with him.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:52 am

Displaced confirmed F/J passengers can appear on both the standby and upgrade lists at the same time. Agents should clear these people ahead of passengers ticketed in Y regardless of upgrade method being used for that Y->J/F. Nothing to see here.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Displaced confirmed F/J passengers can appear on both the standby and upgrade lists at the same time. Agents should clear these people ahead of passengers ticketed in Y regardless of upgrade method being used for that Y->J/F. Nothing to see here.
It's not clear whether or not SMI, _ and RUB, A appeared on the upgrade list, though. My understanding is that they would have as displaced J, but it seemed they did not show there. That said, something odd is apparently going on with the display for the last week or so (more than the change made earlier this year to suppress T>24 clearances).
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
THIS
it happen to me as I was an IIROP F passenger and was on the sby list (not on upgrade list as I had paid F tickets). So I got cleared before the upgrade list.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by chebert999
THIS
it happen to me as I was an IIROP F passenger and was on the sby list (not on upgrade list as I had paid F tickets). So I got cleared before the upgrade list.
As I recall in the pre-merger days, UA called it the "FFCC" list or something like that. Displaced premium passengers who were on stand-by for premium class, and were cleared before coach upgraders. How that manifests itself in the post-merger world's lists...
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
They should first clear the UG list then the standby list. Pax listed on both standby and UG lists are NRSAs ... so those should definitely not clear first. Now, there is a priority sby list for displaced premium pax and that 'should' clear before the UG list. How that is being displayed in the new system since the change to the alphabet soup is something we don't know for sure yet.
I often travel (or attempt to) with a NRSA and that is indeed true, he is listed on both SB and UG lists. They are in fact the last to clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.