Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Winter Storm "Avery" (15-Nov-18 - 17-Nov-18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Waiver: Winter Storm "Avery" (15-Nov-18 - 17-Nov-18)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

All in Economy? No way I would do that. I’d happily sell some body parts in Mexico to pay for the upgrade.
Yup, her companies travel policy sucks! I have done it for personal travel, but would never do it again. haha
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambrau
UA961 FRA-EWR has a 5 hour delay with an extra stop in BGR - weird.
Refuel?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps these major storms should be numbered instead of named? That would make the information about which storm people are talking about less open to misinterpretation. For example, when I looked at United's waiver page on a tiny screen, I initially read the current typhoon waiver for Saipan as Typhoon "Yufu".

That seemed a mean spirited name for all those who would be disrupted. No risk of such misunderstanding if it would have been identified as Typhoon 18-23, or whatever number of typhoons have blown up across the Pacific this year.
Since "Yufu" is a tropical system (typhoon), its naming is mandated by the UN's World Meterological Organization by international agreement.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by thomas199023
Don't think there is a OGG-ORD flight today, at least I cannot find it with Google Flights.
Looks like it's only Saturdays at 5pm! If she can wait a day that would remove one leg from her journey (no change fee because of waiver).

Lands at 5am Sunday and then wait 13 hours for the 6pm to AMS, lands Monday at 9am. I guess not so bad if you plan to get a day room at a hotel and crash, or if you have friends in Chicago.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:52 am

Winter storms don't have names. That is just Weather Channel hype that deserves to be ignored.
Xyzzy and RobOnLI like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by adambrau
UA961 FRA-EWR has a 5 hour delay with an extra stop in BGR - weird.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Refuel?
The app now shows UA 961 FRA-EWR in flight, arriving 6:57pm, and a separate (canceled) EWR-BGR leg which was supposed to depart FRA at 4:30pm and arrive BGR 6:11pm. Does the canceled indicator mean they will not need to stop in BGR?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Yes. If you click on the UA961 FRA to BGR, it says canceled on the upper left corner.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
United texted me last night about this. Good.
They texted me again, word-for-word identical to the first text at 3AM. Not so good.
They texted me yet again,word-for-word identical to the first text, as I was boarding. Puzzling.
Finally, they texted me about an hour and a half after my flight landed. Very puzzling.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
got to love it 1/3 inch of snow and UA cancels all p.m. flights BOS-EWR-BOS. Pathetic.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
The app now shows UA 961 FRA-EWR in flight, arriving 6:57pm, and a separate (canceled) EWR-BGR leg which was supposed to depart FRA at 4:30pm and arrive BGR 6:11pm. Does the canceled indicator mean they will not need to stop in BGR?
Originally Posted by chebert999
Yes. If you click on the UA961 FRA to BGR, it says canceled on the upper left corner.
the original plan was to stop at BGR but that did not happen so the flight went FRA-EWR arriving 5 hours late
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
1K phone lines currently have a 20-25 minute wait before reaching a rep. At least that's what I was told when I called in. I'm just about to cross the 20 minute mark and I'm still on hold. I wonder how accurate their estimates are. I've never had to wait longer than 2 minutes for a 1K rep and that's very very rare.

Unfortunately I need to wait on hold to make the change I need to make even though it's not related to the weather waiver.

-RM
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cfischer
got to love it 1/3 inch of snow and UA cancels all p.m. flights BOS-EWR-BOS. Pathetic.
So where were the a/c coming from?

David
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm wondering what this bodes for when we get real winter storms! EWR seems to have gotten about an inch of snow starting early afternoon and, as pointed out, all flights between BOS and EWR got canceled for the day. Snow started in BOS around 7 PM and we've gotten maybe 1.5 inches so far. It's snowing, but not terribly hard.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I'm wondering what this bodes for when we get real winter storms! EWR seems to have gotten about an inch of snow starting early afternoon and, as pointed out, all flights between BOS and EWR got canceled for the day. Snow started in BOS around 7 PM and we've gotten maybe 1.5 inches so far. It's snowing, but not terribly hard.
But it is not only the weather at any given airport - it is also the weather at the origination airport for a given feeder flight as well as ATC limiting airport operations with ground delays, ground stops, flow control, etc. - particularly yesterday/today at EWR. And then UA Operations having to triage what happens next.

Anyway, made it out of BWI in the late afternoon/early evening, after having connected through IAH, back to LAX. There were a few folks at LAX waiting in line both in the UC as well as at Customer Service needing to figure out how to continue on in their travels given today's disruptions.

David
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
the original plan was to stop at BGR but that did not happen so the flight went FRA-EWR arriving 5 hours late
Flight status on united.com shows arrival at EWR at 1045pm - 8:40 late. Looks like they did go to BGR after all!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.