Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Winter Storm "Avery" (15-Nov-18 - 17-Nov-18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Just posted: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Good. luck to all over these next few days. Including myself.

David
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not feeling super lucky about my IAD-PHL CRJ-200 flight today. Good luck everyone.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
an extensive list of airports in this waiver
  • Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA (AVP)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • Bangor, ME (BGR)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)
  • Burlington, VT (BTV)
  • Buffalo, NY (BUF)
  • Baltimore, MD (BWI)
  • Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
  • Washington-National, DC (DCA)
  • Elmira, NY (ELM)
  • Erie, PA (ERI)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
  • Washington, DC - Dulles (IAD)
  • Ithaca, NY (ITH)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Lewisburg, WV (LWB)
  • Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
  • Manchester, NH (MHT)
  • Plattsburgh, NY (PBG)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • Portland, ME (PWM)
  • Roanoke, VA (ROA)
  • Rochester, NY (ROC)
  • State College, PA (SCE)
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA (SHD)
  • Syracuse, NY (SYR)
  • Quebec City, QB, CA (YQB)
  • Montréal, QC, CA (YUL)
  • Toronto, ON, CA (YYZ)
​​​​​​​
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
How I hate the concept of naming winter storms
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The fiance is flying OGG-SFO-EWR-AMS tomorrow/Friday in economy. Should I try to route her via IAH? Will United do this easily, or will the fare buckets need to be the same, in which case it might be better to wait until a flight gets cancelled?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by getagb
Not feeling super lucky about my IAD-PHL CRJ-200 flight today. Good luck everyone.
Be proactive, get a room or a car
Old Nov 15, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
UA961 FRA-EWR has a 5 hour delay with an extra stop in BGR - weird.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by thomas199023
The fiance is flying OGG-SFO-EWR-AMS tomorrow/Friday in economy. Should I try to route her via IAH? Will United do this easily, or will the fare buckets need to be the same, in which case it might be better to wait until a flight gets cancelled?
should be really easy to get the reroute as long as origin and destination are the same. SFO and EWR are both under waiver, so yes I would reroute.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by cyberjet
How I hate the concept of naming winter storms
So this is a bit OT, but since UA continues the practice -- and should NOT -- I'll mention why here.

The National Weather Service has an official to name tropical storms (i.e. hurricanes), in support of the UN's (World Meteorological Organization) global system of naming tropical cyclones. This is an international standard, supported by governments worldwide.

The National Weather Service has no mandate, nor authority, to name any other kind of storm, and does not do so nor condone the practice. There is a major weather outlet that has chosen to do so for many years, and others "copy" the practice, as UA has done so in the case of the waiver notice sent last night. The reason that this practice should not be done, is that public confusion would occur if different private sources used different names. For example, what if The Weather Channel called this storm "Avery," AccuWeather called it "Arthur," and Wxguy's WxService called it "Arturo" -- and each of us had different forecasts? Remember, only the NWS can issue official watches and warnings; in order to ensure there is no public confusion, other outlets can (and should) transmit official government advisories with attribution.

Bottom line: UA is fully with its right (and I support it) to issue statements and waivers that reference the event, i.e. "a major winter storm will affect the mid-Atlantic and Northeast today," but UA should not perpetuate the use of proper names for storms.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
I had ORD-EWR-BCN today. Looking at some of the inbound delays to EWR this morning/afternoon from Europe made be worried. United rerouted me on ORD-FRA-BCN.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:21 am

You don't need the same fare bucket, there just needs to be one seat in the appropriate cabin (economy). If you think a re-route is wise, do it now. Don't wait for it to cancel.

You could also wait to see how the storm develops. But you risk all the available seats IAH-AMS getting claimed by other people.

You could also do OGG-ORD-AMS.
thomas199023 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy
So this is a bit OT, but since UA continues the practice -- and should NOT -- I'll mention why here.

The National Weather Service has an official to name tropical storms (i.e. hurricanes), in support of the UN's (World Meteorological Organization) global system of naming tropical cyclones. This is an international standard, supported by governments worldwide.

The National Weather Service has no mandate, nor authority, to name any other kind of storm, and does not do so nor condone the practice. There is a major weather outlet that has chosen to do so for many years, and others "copy" the practice, as UA has done so in the case of the waiver notice sent last night. The reason that this practice should not be done, is that public confusion would occur if different private sources used different names. For example, what if The Weather Channel called this storm "Avery," AccuWeather called it "Arthur," and Wxguy's WxService called it "Arturo" -- and each of us had different forecasts? Remember, only the NWS can issue official watches and warnings; in order to ensure there is no public confusion, other outlets can (and should) transmit official government advisories with attribution.

Bottom line: UA is fully with its right (and I support it) to issue statements and waivers that reference the event, i.e. "a major winter storm will affect the mid-Atlantic and Northeast today," but UA should not perpetuate the use of proper names for storms.
Perhaps these major storms should be numbered instead of named? That would make the information about which storm people are talking about less open to misinterpretation. For example, when I looked at United's waiver page on a tiny screen, I initially read the current typhoon waiver for Saipan as Typhoon "Yufu".

That seemed a mean spirited name for all those who would be disrupted. No risk of such misunderstanding if it would have been identified as Typhoon 18-23, or whatever number of typhoons have blown up across the Pacific this year.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by transportprof
...That seemed a mean spirited name for all those who would be disrupted. ...
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
You don't need the same fare bucket, there just needs to be one seat in the appropriate cabin (economy). If you think a re-route is wise, do it now. Don't wait for it to cancel.

You could also wait to see how the storm develops. But you risk all the available seats IAH-AMS getting claimed by other people.

You could also do OGG-ORD-AMS.
Don't think there is a OGG-ORD flight today, at least I cannot find it with Google Flights. As it looks now, she would only arrive at EWR on Friday around 3PM, weather.com doesn't predict any snow tomorrow, so I think I'm gonna wait and see how the storm develops.

This is one long travel day for her though! 10:20 PM overnight to SFO then SFO-EWR then another overnight to AMS. Done it once myself, never again! haha
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Don't think there is a OGG-ORD flight today, at least I cannot find it with Google Flights. As it looks now, she would only arrive at EWR on Friday around 3PM, weather.com doesn't predict any snow tomorrow, so I think I'm gonna wait and see how the storm develops.

This is one long travel day for her though! 10:20 PM overnight to SFO then SFO-EWR then another overnight to AMS. Done it once myself, never again! haha
All in Economy? No way I would do that. I’d happily sell some body parts in Mexico to pay for the upgrade.
Marschel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.