Wiki Posts
Search

Help using GPUs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Help using GPUs

Hi All!

I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff so apologies for my ignorance. Also, I tried searching for a thread to post this on and couldn't find one. Hope this is okay!

I have 6 GPUs that expire Jan 2019. This is the first (and likely, only) time I have gotten these. I don't think I'll ever fly anything but economy any other time in my life.

I need help finding flights where I can use the GPUs to upgrade my flight.
  • Origin: YVR
  • Destination: Flexible (but thinking Central America)
  • Number of Travelers: 1-2
  • Round-trip
  • Business Class desired
  • One week anytime from now to end of Jan
  • Points available:
    • United: 6 GPU's that expire Jan 31, 2019; 6 RPUs that expire Jan 31, 2019
    • United Points: 100,000
    • United Status: Premier 1K for 2018, Platinum for 2019
I won't be using my points to book the flight, I'd like to pay for it and use the points another time.

I've tried using the expert mode to look for PZ space but havent had any luck. I have also used the search feature that allows you to see flights that are eligible for upgrade but the only ones I see have 'Upgrade waitlist' - is it even possible to find flights with confirmed upgrades?

Last edited by yvr123; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:37 pm Reason: added details
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:50 pm

I'm not familiar with upgrade availability to Central America, but some general tips:

1) Start by using expert mode to search *only* for the legs you want to upgrade to business. Look for PZ in those buckets. For example, for YVR-SFO-NRT, search only for SFO-NRT, not YVR-SFO. This is because United's search results will only show you fare buckets that are available for all the segments (generally; in some cases, the segments aren't married, so you will see segment-by-segment availability). This is because PZ is generally unavailable on domestic/shorter segments on UA, so to see PZ availability on the long-haul leg, you have to search just for that leg.
2) Be prepared to be flexible on dates. You may have to travel on days that may be less convenient for you or have to shorten/extend your trip to get the GPUs.
3) As a reminder, to upgrade to business using a GPU, you have to buy an economy fare of "W" class or higher; in many cases, this will require that you pay more than the lowest available economy fare. (Correction: as jsloan reminded me below, this only applies to routes where a GPU is required for an upgrade. For routes where an RPU can be applied for an upgrade, any economy fare class will work.)

IIRC, none of UA's flights to Central America have lie-flat seats (and just aren't that long, especially once you get to the connecting point). If you want to use them for lie-flat seats, you'll likely have to consider Europe or Asia.
tstauck likes this.

Last edited by windhund; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:47 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Oh interesting, I didn't think to search by each leg! I will try that. Thanks!!

I'd love to do Europe or Asia, but only have about a week off.. Do you know what the possibility is of UA extended my GPUs to even mid-2019? I've read that they are able to extend 2 of the 6 GPUs but don't know for sure.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:56 pm

Generally, they've extended the GPUs only if you have re-qualified for 1K or GS for the following year. In this case, unless you find a way to reach 1K for 2019, I wouldn't count on it.

More details here:
[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring Jan, 31 2019 can be extended (re-qual GS/1Ks max 2 GPU'S)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windhund
3) As a reminder, to upgrade to business using a GPU, you have to buy an economy fare of "W" class or higher; in many cases, this will require that you pay more than the lowest available economy fare.
This is not true for routes where an RPU would also work, such as Central America; you can upgrade any regular economy fare from YVR to PTY, for example. However, I agree that the benefit of a GPU is much higher on a longer flight.

Originally Posted by windhund
Generally, they've extended the GPUs only if you have re-qualified for 1K or GS for the following year. In this case, unless you find a way to reach 1K for 2019, I wouldn't count on it.
Agreed. However, if OP will reach platinum organically, requalifying for 1K may be as simple as using two of those GPUs to visit Singapore. That's nearly 18,500 PQM RT. Of course, there's no guarantee you can find PZ space on SFO-SIN, but it's a thought. With a YVR address, OP shouldn't have to worry about PQDs.
windhund likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yvr123
Oh interesting, I didn't think to search by each leg! I will try that. Thanks!!

I'd love to do Europe or Asia, but only have about a week off.. Do you know what the possibility is of UA extended my GPUs to even mid-2019? I've read that they are able to extend 2 of the 6 GPUs but don't know for sure.
Even if they extend 2 of the 6 GPUs (when you requalify to 1K), the extension is only to April 30, 2019. Naturally if you requalify to 1K, you'll get 6 more GPUs that are valid until January 31, 2020.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
As someone who has used 6 - 8 GPUs per year flying out of YVR for the past five years running, I can tell you that the chances of finding PZ>0 on flights departing YVR is close to zero.

You'll need to aim for flights from the gateway airport (SFO/LAX/IAH) to Central America and then grab any positive space upgrade on them. Your YVR to xxx gateway connecting segment will be waitlisted for upgrade space. If the plane is anything other than an A319 you have a chance of clearing before the door closes on the aircraft. It it's a 319 into or out of YVR, forget about that part of the upgrade.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
TAgreed. However, if OP will reach platinum organically, requalifying for 1K may be as simple as using two of those GPUs to visit Singapore. That's nearly 18,500 PQM RT. Of course, there's no guarantee you can find PZ space on SFO-SIN, but it's a thought. With a YVR address, OP shouldn't have to worry about PQDs.
FWIW, SFO - SIN seems to have decent availability on the 10:55 *am* flight ~1 week out - eg UA 29 on 19th Nov is P9 PN6 PZ6 IN6 I3, 20th Nov has P9 PN5 PZ5 IN4 I1.

The evening flight is much less likely though. I'm on the evening flight tonight, and the MUA didn't clear, there's 15 people ahead of me in the upgrade queue for 1 seat.
Going forward i'm definitely booking the morning flight out of SFO.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by ajgarett; Nov 14, 2018 at 6:13 pm Reason: add context
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:57 pm

You can goto new Zealand, might be a bit similar to Canada, but it's summer and flights are upgradable.the below priced at 2100 USD, with W (GPU upgradable fare class) and PZ (upgrade buckets) for the Long haul legs. Hong Kong had a few days as well

This flys you into CHC, if you wanted to see NZ outdoors lakes mountains etc. If you wanted more city and indigenous culture I'd just fly into AKL and not go-to South isouth island

Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-HKG, SFO-TPE, or SFO-NRT. All 77W routes with the Polaris seat. TPE and NRT are pretty easy upgrades. HKG is a little harder but very doable. From TPE or HKG it's really easy to connect somewhere warm.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I booked YYZ-EWR-SFO-TPE round trip a few weeks ago (only C$1040). Lots of PZ space. Booked for Dec travel.

Also IAH/SFO/LAX-SYD was wide open for PZ space about 6 weeks ago. Booked for Easter (only C$1700 from YYZ). Not sure what availability is like now.

Transportprof is correct. Look for availability for over the water segment and don't worry about the other segments. You will be waitlisted for those. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.