Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by larryw
I have read reviews saying that the aisle armrest in premium plus can be lowered, but I have flown in these seats twice and couldn't find a way to do so. Has anyone been able to lower it? As someone with mobility issues, I found the high, rigid armrests made getting in and out of the seat really painful, especially when the seat in front is lowered. I also found the seat controls really hard to reach, and there don't seem to be any instructions for using them. As others have mentioned, the seat cushions are really uncomfortable, and for a large person such as myself you need to recline your seat almost completely to use the tray table. The extra width is great, but overall my experience was underwhelming.
Did you ask FA for help?
There is a button on the armrest that you need to push or pull. I do not recall exact location of this button. Someone else can chime in.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mcrw00
When 787-10s are used on domestic transcons, are the Premium Plus seats sold and serviced the same as Economy Plus?
Yes 100% -- I took advantage of this for upcoming RDU - EWR - LAX SYD flight.

My upgrade cleared on LAX - SYD but wasn't confident on EWR - LAX. They were selling PP as E+ and better yet the PP aisle was the same price as the regular C+ aisle (or within a couple bucks). My gmail isn't working to check receipt but believe I paid $125 or so for the PP seat which seemed worth it as a hedge if the upgrade doesn't clear (which I'm not counting on)
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by larryw
I have read reviews saying that the aisle armrest in premium plus can be lowered, but I have flown in these seats twice and couldn't find a way to do so. Has anyone been able to lower it? As someone with mobility issues, I found the high, rigid armrests made getting in and out of the seat really painful, especially when the seat in front is lowered. I also found the seat controls really hard to reach, and there don't seem to be any instructions for using them. As others have mentioned, the seat cushions are really uncomfortable, and for a large person such as myself you need to recline your seat almost completely to use the tray table. The extra width is great, but overall my experience was underwhelming.
It's been a long time since I last flew in premium plus. If there's not a button, then it might just be one of those where you might have to lift/pull the armrest upward a bit then push it down. I could very well be wrong as i was in the seat once and it's been months since.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764
Short answer: yes. Premium Plus is not offered as a distinct class of service in the domestic market (yet).

Even international, if Premium Plus isn't being sold as a separate class of service, the seats are considered E+. The only routes selling PP currently are the slate of markets announced in late 2018. As more 767s and 777s have re-entered the fleet with PP seats, they are appearing on lots more flights than just those in the release, but that won't be for long. I would expect UA to roll out a bunch of new PP markets for the IATA winter schedule, starting in late October.
Indeed as my upcoming EWR-LHR flight on September 21 (763 J heavy) is now marketing PP as a ticket option and I got bumped back to true E+ after being able to select the PP for free three weeks ago. Called up the fare desk out of curiosity to see what the buy up would be and was able to upgrade to PP for $62. Original fare basis was in S - agent said really "good deal" so I took it. The return is currently $350 so bailed on that option - bulkhead in row 31A should be fine. Check your itineraries for seat changes though!
EWR764 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Had my first Premium Plus experience last week on a 777-300 from Newark to Tel Aviv and return. It was a mixed bag. First the pros - the seat was excellent and I was able to sleep about half the flight, the food was a definite upgrade from economy nicely served and nice sized portions, the amenities were also a nice upgrade with a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket, pillow and a nice amenity kit. The cabin was quiet as there was no reason for anyone except the flight attendants to pass through it and they rarely did. Now the bad - the service was strictly economy with absolutely no effort made to make the passengers in that cabin feel the least bit special. I was not expecting Polaris service - but I was expecting more then economy. On the EWR > TLV segment menus were passed out, pre-takeoff drinks were not offered, the almonds and drinks were not served before the meal and desert was never served. Flight attendants picked up the used trays promptly and were not seen until the pre-landing meal was served. The TLV > EWR leg was pretty much the same. Menus were not handed out, pre-takeoff drinks were not offered and almonds and drinks were not served before the meal. Bottom line - the seat was great and on a 10+ hour flight that's the most important thing. The hard product is almost identical to Premium Economy on American, but the service and personal touch American offers was not duplicated by United. After my experience on American I had high hopes for United - but I was underwhelmed. The service is still pretty new so perhaps they are working out the kinks.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Is PP/Premium Economy worth 30K miles upgrade? I'm traveling with my two parents SFO-HKG-SFO and since I am Silver, it is unlikely any decent or any at all Economy Plus seats will be left a check in. I'd just use my miles to upgrade everyone and probably just do the PP, PP+$600 waitlist to Polaris. I'm sure the upgrade to Polaris will not happen. Might as well burn miles that I never use before our impending devaluation...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Is PP/Premium Economy worth 30K miles upgrade? I'm traveling with my two parents SFO-HKG-SFO and since I am Silver, it is unlikely any decent or any at all Economy Plus seats will be left a check in. I'd just use my miles to upgrade everyone and probably just do the PP, PP+$600 waitlist to Polaris. I'm sure the upgrade to Polaris will not happen. Might as well burn miles that I never use before our impending devaluation...
"Worth it" is a personal value judgment.
What is the cash price difference?
What are the miles worth to you?
Is there RN space today?

I have purchased PP at $200-$250 each way for West Coast - Europe. Europe is running cheaper for Asia presently for PP. Have done a number of transcons in the seat and the comfort difference is noticeable (even over economy seats of 3-5 years ago.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Worth it" is a personal value judgment.
What is the cash price difference?
What are the miles worth to you?
Is there RN space today?

I have purchased PP at $200-$250 each way for West Coast - Europe. Europe is running cheaper for Asia presently for PP. Have done a number of transcons in the seat and the comfort difference is noticeable (even over economy seats of 3-5 years ago.
The buy up in the seat map is like $650. Since I don't do anything with the miles I suppose not much really. As long as I get 2 cents a mile out of them I'm content for the low number of miles. There is RN space HKG-SFO return, but not on the outbound SFO-HKG.

Thanks for your thoughts on the seats. Now that they have made the 777 10 across in economy, it really is a sardine can in the back.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Any recent reports of people losing PP seat assignments on non-PP routes for cases other than swaps? Such as for higher-status pax? I'm trying to judge whether to stay in my current possibly PP seat, or move. There are plenty of E+ seats available, but I'd hate to end up in a middle. This is for MUC-IAD, which lately had PP-config 772s consistently.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gusd
Any recent reports of people losing PP seat assignments on non-PP routes for cases other than swaps? Such as for higher-status pax? I'm trying to judge whether to stay in my current possibly PP seat, or move. There are plenty of E+ seats available, but I'd hate to end up in a middle. This is for MUC-IAD, which lately had PP-config 772s consistently.
I think you should be fine since it is "marketed" as an E+ seat and I haven't heard of people getting bumped from their seats unless equip swap but I'd monitor your itin just in case.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gusd
Bumps for higher-status passengers in any cabin are essentially unicorn events -- exceptionally rare and very much against UA policy.

However, if the flight gets converted to PP offering flights, those that selected the PP seats as E+ are getting bumped back to what they paid for, E+.

Aircraft swaps and seating reshuffles are another matter,
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Bumps for higher-status passengers in any cabin are essentially unicorn events -- exceptionally rare and very much against UA policy.

However, if the flight gets converted to PP offering flights, those that selected the PP seats as E+ are getting bumped back to what they paid for, E+.

Aircraft swaps and seating reshuffles are another matter,
Thanks. This is for next week, so I doubt MUC-IAD gets converted by then. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I am booking an MCO-MUC flight for end of November to beginning of December.

I noted that thru ORD there were often PP seat aircraft available without upcharge. Looking at flight status, it seemed that 60-70% of the time that that is true. Seems similar for IAD, but I did not check as deeply.

So I went looking to see when and if United would start selling the MUC flights as PP. It appears that starting the first or so of January that 1) IAD will go to PP seats being purchase-able, 2) ORD will start using 767's, and ) IAH will stay with 767's.

So it smells like PP aircraft are still a E+ thing until the first of the year and then things get a little more fixed.

Continuing to dig on PP, for the first time I see a 767 with PP for sale on EWR-LHR. It is 2-2-2. I also see that E+ is now most of the two-seat seats of the 2-3-2 seating configuration down the back.

This PP thing is really rolling out everywhere.

edit: I now see Sterndogg's post above about the LHR route.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 2019 at 2:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've read a couple reviews on the full PP/PE service and those FAs should be instructed to remove the foil from the entrees of the meals before serving. Something so simple makes a huge difference. A better mid-flight snack would be nice too.
eilat59 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
So I went looking to see when and if United would start selling the MUC flights as PP. It appears that starting the first or so of January that 1) IAD will go to PP seats being purchase-able, 2) ORD will start using 767's, and ) IAH will stay with 767's.
The way I'm looking at it it's going to be years before they start selling PP for ORD flights.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.