Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:45 am

Thumbs down PP Seats Never Again

I am a 1 K, 2 Million miles with United and a big guy. Recently, I flew from SFO to Tel Aviv direct. I purchased an aisle PP seat with the assumption that it would be like the domestic first-class type of seat.

Immediately when I sat in the seat, it was apparent that the seat was closer in size to the BH economy class plus domestic seat. Sure, I did not need to compete for an armrest, but the seat width was no better than the domestic seat. The 13.5 hours of travel was miserable and I will never purchase the PP seat again. I would rather be in an economy plus aisle seat where I can raise the outer armrest.
Silver Fox and bballdad175 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by bigwave55
I am a 1 K, 2 Million miles with United and a big guy. Recently, I flew from SFO to Tel Aviv direct. I purchased an aisle PP seat with the assumption that it would be like the domestic first-class type of seat.

Immediately when I sat in the seat, it was apparent that the seat was closer in size to the BH economy class plus domestic seat. Sure, I did not need to compete for an armrest, but the seat width was no better than the domestic seat. The 13.5 hours of travel was miserable and I will never purchase the PP seat again. I would rather be in an economy plus aisle seat where I can raise the outer armrest.
Joined in 2005 and 1st post! Welcome!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bigwave55
... I would rather be in an economy plus aisle seat where I can raise the outer armrest.
Beleive the aisle armrest can also be lowered on the PP seats
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beleive the aisle armrest can also be lowered on the PP seats
It can indeed... the button is on the forward-facing part of the armrest and not immediately visible, but it's there. Took me a little while to find and use, but the extra width was welcome. I haven't tried it on a window seat yet; assuming that armrest is fixed.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone with broad shoulders, I don't understand this. The PP seat is wider than any economy seat I've ever been it. It's the difference between bumping shoulders with the person beside me and having just enough room that that doesn't happen. It's only 1-2 inches, but since those 1-2 inches make the difference between contact with the neighbor and no contact with the neighbor, I consider it a very significant difference.

I agree that the outer armrest on the aisle is not comfortable.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Recently flew Premium Economy on AA (JFK to Milan) and was blown away. Seat was comfortable, nice amenity kit, food good and service excellent. I likened it to domestic First. My traveling companion was less impressed - didn't think it was worth the extra money and would have been fine with Main Cabin Extra (E+ on AA). Looking forward to my first PP trip on UA later this month (EWR to TLV) - looking at the pictures the UA seats (the most important part for me) seem to be identical to AA - same with Delta.

Last edited by eilat59; Jun 25, 2019 at 1:10 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eilat59
Recently flew Premium Economy on AA (JFK to Milan) and was blown away. Seat was comfortable, nice amenity kit, food good and service excellent. I likened it to domestic First. My traveling companion was less impressed - didn't think it was worth the extra money and would have been fine with Main Cabin Extra (E+ on AA). Looking forward to my first PP trip on UA later this month (EWR to TLV) - looking at the pictures the UA seats (the most important part for me) seem to be identical to AA - same with Delta.
I think that domestic F seats are a little wider, but probably not more comfortable. I agree that PE is a pretty good experience.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that domestic F seats are a little wider, but probably not more comfortable.
My impression as well. How do you think the recline does compare to domestic F?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
My impression as well. How do you think the recline does compare to domestic F?
737s of all variations have 5 inch recline in domestic F and the new F seat for A3xx is 6 inches

The PP seats are listed as 6 inch recline

Note on aircraft with PP, E+ is 4 inch recline.
E+ is 5 inch recline of the A3xx and just 3 inches on the 737
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I flew to Japan ORD - NRT last December (12/15) and my plane got switched from a standard 777-200 to a PP equipped 777-300 aircraft 5 days out.
I had reserved a E+ seat the month before almost at the bulkhead and got a notice that my seat assignment had been changed. Looked it up and there was no info about it now being a PP seat, but boy was I surprised when I got on board.
Looking back now it was like winning the lottery because UA is selling these PP seats at a premium on Polaris branded routes. I just got lucky and will probably never happen again.

My opinion might be a little biased since my upgrade was unexpected and fairly exciting but I thought that the furnishings and comfort was definitely a few steps up from E+ and comparable to domestic F.
If offered again ofcourse I would take it but purchasing it outright would depend on the route and season. For business travelers with tighter budgets it might be a nice compromise between business class and E+
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The width is really the key IMO.

In economy on a 737 (on any airline) you are looking at about a 17-inch wide seat. That is EXTREMELY tight unless the seat beside you is empty. You are just about guaranteed to be bumping shoulders. If both people have broad shoulders you will be pressed up against each other for the whole flight.

In economy on an A319, 320, or 321 (on any airline) you are looking at about an 18-inch wide seat. I have broad shoulders, but I find that if I'm seated beside people who aren't, I won't be bumping shoulders. If I'm sitting beside other broad-shouldered people, there will be some contact. This is why (for me) any airbus is better than any 737. I recently ended up in a middle E- seat on a pmVX airbus on AS (I got to the gate just as an earlier flight was leaving, and I decided to take the middle seat rather than wait at the gate for an hour for my flight -- it was only LAX-SFO). I was lucky enough to be in between two slim / petite women, but I was comfortable for the whole time. I was not "overflowing" into their space, as I would have been on a 737.

The PE seats on UA are 19 inches wide. It's not an embarrassment of space or anything, but it's enough that you're not going to be shoulder-to-shoulder with the person beside you, even if both are broad-shouldered. Also the armrests between the seats are "double", so you aren't fighting for armrest space. It's not that it's a ton of space, it's just that each passenger has their own space, which is big enough for most people. I also found the seat itself comfortable enough. I was on a 10-11 hour flight, I only got up once for a lav break / galley run, and I was never uncomfortable, nor did I feel cooped up or claustrophobic. Definitely not business class, but it was fine. I was also in the aisle bulkhead (20G) which, I guess, has a bit more legroom than the other seats (and of course no one can recline into you)

Domestic F seats are in the 20-21 inch range, usually. This gives more room than almost any one person really needs, which is nice if you want to sit at a bit of an angle or something.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:44 pm

Does JV between united and Lufthansa mean that the availability should be similar? Looking at flights later this summer and united only sees O class while Lufthansa sees N class (R class equivalent on United) for the same United metal flight. Same everything else the price booking with United is double but with PQD and Lufthansa without.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by myperks
Does JV between united and Lufthansa mean that the availability should be similar? Looking at flights later this summer and united only sees O class while Lufthansa sees N class (R class equivalent on United) for the same United metal flight. Same everything else the price booking with United is double but with PQD and Lufthansa without.
It should be similar but it's not unheard of for their to be inventory differences depending on codeshare. You can try booking the native Lufthansa code with United by calling or using Google flights.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by myperks
No, the JV means same fares not same inventory. But you could be able to book the native LH code, as VWang1111 notes.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111

It should be similar but it's not unheard of for their to be inventory differences depending on codeshare. You can try booking the native Lufthansa code with United by calling or using Google flights.
Originally Posted by findark
No, the JV means same fares not same inventory. But you could be able to book the native LH code, as VWang1111 notes.
thanks... I’ll try that. Google is not getting me native LH codeshare number ticketing on UA, so I’ll probably call. The return has no problem just the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.