Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Old May 15, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Most likely a stupid question, but...

UA 927 FRA-SFO in PP... reservation says "Meal: Not Offered on this flight". That can't be right, can it? 11.5 hr flight leaving FRA 5:25pm, arriving SFO 8pm
Once my reservation said that for ORD-HKG but for the HKG-ORD it was listing 4 meals. I thought that they wanted me to get ready to taste all the good food in Hong Kong. But as Repooc17 stated, in both flights, I got the 2 meals and there was the mid-flight snack for the passengers who wanted it.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I'll be flying UA106 IAD-MUC next month. The current equipment for the flight is a 772. And, judging by the seatmap, I'm presuming that this will be a flight with P+. So I changed my seat to 22K.

But before I figured that out, I had applied a GPU. I'll be traveling on an H fare on a Friday evening. I'm hoping for an upgrade; J is currently booked 33 of 48.

So now I'm wondering about the impact of the potential introduction of P+ seating on that GPU. Since I currently hold a seat that would be in the P+ section, what's going to happen with this GPU?
  1. Will United considered that GPU used if my seat becomes a P+ seat and I don't move?
  2. How likely is it that I would get bumped back to E+ if I pull the GPU and the seat becomes a P+ seat?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would consider using the GPU if I have to in order to secure P+ seating, but I'd obviously rather not do so if it isn't necessary. In my ideal scenario, UA would put me on the J waitlist and not pull the GPU if I don't clear into J (i.e. the answer to question #1 above is 'no'). The unrealistically ideal scenario is that I actually get the upgrade to J.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Biggs
I just checked on flights from EWR to Dublin for this August. Regular Economy was something like $359 one-way; Premium Economy was literally 10 times that much. Any idea what's going on with that? Seems crazy.
I recently booked a round trip to Dublin for August travel.

Basic Economy was $579
Regular Economy was $699
Premium Plus was $170 more PER direction.

I decided to do PP+ for the over night portion.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by iapetus
I'll be flying UA106 IAD-MUC next month. The current equipment for the flight is a 772. And, judging by the seatmap, I'm presuming that this will be a flight with P+. So I changed my seat to 22K.

But before I figured that out, I had applied a GPU. I'll be traveling on an H fare on a Friday evening. I'm hoping for an upgrade; J is currently booked 33 of 48.

So now I'm wondering about the impact of the potential introduction of P+ seating on that GPU. Since I currently hold a seat that would be in the P+ section, what's going to happen with this GPU?
  1. Will United considered that GPU used if my seat becomes a P+ seat and I don't move?
  2. How likely is it that I would get bumped back to E+ if I pull the GPU and the seat becomes a P+ seat?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would consider using the GPU if I have to in order to secure P+ seating, but I'd obviously rather not do so if it isn't necessary. In my ideal scenario, UA would put me on the J waitlist and not pull the GPU if I don't clear into J (i.e. the answer to question #1 above is 'no'). The unrealistically ideal scenario is that I actually get the upgrade to J.
Unless the flight is marketed as one with PP then there will be no PP class of service (IAD-MUC is not one of those), so you may get a PP seat but it will be regular economy service, so the only upgrade you would get would be to Polaris.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
You should not presume from the seatmap that your flight will have P+. What you are seeing is the interim map which can go either way: remain the original configuration pmUA 772 or be the Polarized one. And then you can even get a pmCO 772.

So, yes, 22K is a good seat on the Polarized 772 but not so good on the pmUA 772 or the pmCO 772 (except if you really like window seats).

Let's hope that your upgrade clears!
Old May 18, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
You should not presume from the seatmap that your flight will have P+.
Well, it's not so much that I'm presuming it will be (OK, maybe I kinda was ), but rather preparing myself for that contingency.

So, yes, 22K is a good seat on the Polarized 772 but not so good on the pmUA 772 or the pmCO 772 (except if you really like window seats).
I really like window seats.

Originally Posted by N104UA
Unless the flight is marketed as one with PP then there will be no PP class of service (IAD-MUC is not one of those), so you may get a PP seat but it will be regular economy service, so the only upgrade you would get would be to Polaris.
I would not mind a P+ seat without the service. I value a footrest very highly. A footrest greatly enhances the possibility that I will get some sleep on a plane, I have found. If I've managed to put myself in a P+ seat without P+ service, I will find that to be decent consolation for my upgrade not clearing.

At any rate, it sounds like the application of a GPU will not be wasted. That's really what I wanted to know.

Let's hope that your upgrade clears!
It's a TATL ... in June ... on a Friday. So my hopes aren't all that high. But who knows?

Thanks for the responses!
Old May 20, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The seating configuration in Economy has absolutely no bearing on your GPU. It will not be used unless you end up in the J cabin.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:16 am

Does anyone here have experience yet with a special meal in PP? I will be flying EWR-HKG soon and I'm wondering if they just use the special meals for Y.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I assume on flights where there was a last minute aircraft change from one without PP to one with PP that there is actually no PP service and those sitting in PP will just get regular Economy service.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I assume on flights where there was a last minute aircraft change from one without PP to one with PP that there is actually no PP service and those sitting in PP will just get regular Economy service.
Yes, E+ service if there is a difference (such as premium transcon routes) between regular E and E+.
And in those cases anyone with E+ access can sit in the PP section.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, E+ service if there is a difference (such as premium transcon routes) between regular E and E+.
And in those cases anyone with E+ access can sit in the PP section.
Thats what I thought, UA 944 on Friday just switched from a 777-200 version 2 to version 5. Managed to snag two PP seats.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should not presume from the seatmap that your flight will have P+. What you are seeing is the interim map which can go either way: remain the original configuration pmUA 772 or be the Polarized one. And then you can even get a pmCO 772.
Judging on what's happening with UA 106 in the coming days, I'm guessing that this will be a 772 with the 1-2-1 Polaris configuration and a P+ configuration in rows 20-22. (Note: SeatGuru doesn't have this exact configuration listed.)

The current flight status shows that it's down to 39/48 booked in J. Still, I'll be pleased if I have a P+ seat with a footrest.

I'm currently in 22K, which is a window seat in the nominal configuration. What I'm wondering, if my conjecture about the eventual configuration above is correct, is whether I will be put in 22L (window) or keep 22K (aisle).
Old May 22, 2019, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I'm currently in 22K, which is a window seat in the nominal configuration. What I'm wondering, if my conjecture about the eventual configuration above is correct, is whether I will be put in 22L (window) or keep 22K (aisle).
Based on posted reports, may be, may be not -- there seems to have been little understandability to the rationale of the results.

See Non-Polaris swap to/from Polaris seat re-assignment process? for one type of aircraft swap.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Thats what I thought, UA 944 on Friday just switched from a 777-200 version 2 to version 5. Managed to snag two PP seats.
Watch your booking like a hawk....
Old May 22, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Watch your booking like a hawk....
Oh, i am.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.