Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you see PN opening in bunches of 1 or 2? That's what they do when they're clearing GS off the waitlist.

And large numbers of last minute J sales are not uncommon. The corporate customers are not paying full price.
It was in batches of 2s and 4s. I figured some of the seats purchased were sold, but I cannot say for sure.

Anyway, my GPU was redeposited by 1K voice after an email so no harm done!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Why are you shouting?
Originally Posted by physioprof
I stopped reading tbh.
He was trying to fact check all details that PP product includes, which in his case, there were many inconsistencies:
1) No pre-flight water
2) No post-takeoff beverage service
3) No nuts served whatsoever--not even with the entree
4) The cookie swapped with the Polaris chocolates (a plus?).

The all-caps aren't nice to read, but I'd probably be frustrated too by a similar PP service. But then again, to me it's not all about the seat or legroom
elitefreak likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFHokie
I just noticed that the GPU I applied to my "R" fare (purchased Premium Plus seat) to move from PP to J was never returned to my account after the upgrade failed. Anyone else notice this?

I sent an email to United and am waiting to hear back from what they have to say.

Also of interest, I remember my itinerary saying "(PZ) class requested" (I think that was the message) up until I checked-in for the flight instead of "Upgrade requested". It looked like a lot of people were getting upgraded into business class the week leading up to the flight -- or they were buying last minute business fares in droves at $4000 a piece -- yet I never made it higher on the upgrade list than #4 (on an "R" fare, which is higher than all Y fares but less than "O" and "A" fares). Sad times.

Hopefully 1K Voice can fix this for me easily.
Did you do an upgrade via the UA.com site. If so there have been issues that the GPU was not taken out properly and applied to the booking. Had same issue and it MP+ to get it manually returned. When correctly done -- it should do the Upgrade Requested. Rather than PZ class requested.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by elitefreak

Please . . I was trying to differentiate the handbook from my comments.
I understood exactly what you were doing at the time. I also don't get this offense at the use of caps. In my mind, I don't perceive a different tone when reading caps, it is all the same to me. I thought your post was helpful and informative.

Next time you do something like that, try changing the color using the underlined A in the text control bar-everybody understands that.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I understood exactly what you were doing at the time. I also don't get this offense at the use of caps. In my mind, I don't perceive a different tone when reading caps, it is all the same to me. I thought your post was helpful and informative.

Next time you do something like that, try changing the color using the underlined A in the text control bar-everybody understands that.
It has long been an Internet convention that using all caps is equivalent to shouting. The use of all caps does offer a mental and visual irritant. If he wanted to differentiate, he could have used color as you suggest or italics or underlined his points.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
It has long been an Internet convention that using all caps is equivalent to shouting. The use of all caps does offer a mental and visual irritant. If he wanted to differentiate, he could have used color as you suggest or italics or underlined his points.
+1
I find all caps very difficult to read (and will stop reading at that point). Color is much better.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was your PP experience on an UA's787 PP or 777 PP. As the UA 787 PP is also wider than the UA 777 PP. But for that route and carrier choices of aircraft, the 787 will be wider.

On that day VA may have been the better deal but on another day I see UA for that route as $2,200. (in R) As always price will depend on inventory fare class availability
Above someone was talking about the differences in PP/PE prices across carriers.

I am looking at a June (9-13) trip to London. Have looked at LHR, CDG, BRU, etc and all are $3000+ in PP. The flights with PP are not overly booked, and most still have R space.

Yet the R prices are $3000+

And whats funny is that the AA/BA and other flights are also all $3000+, and also aren't very full. The economy prices are pretty normal.

The week before and after, the PP prices are normal ($1500-1800).

I am guessing there's a conference there and tickets just havent been bought yet..
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hscottm
I am looking at a June (9-13) trip to London. ....
I am guessing there's a conference there and tickets just havent been bought yet..
The airlines may have found it is a peak week for summer vacation to Europe
The airline have historical and real-time data on their side.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
+1
I find all caps very difficult to read (and will stop reading at that point). Color is much better.
It's nearly impossible to read blocks of all-caps text.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:56 pm

I bought a round trip SFO-LHR in R class both ways, traveling Jun 7 - 16. It cost USD$1538.83 when I bought it, a few months ago. It was cheaper than W at the time so I was surprised. Perhaps they only allocate a small number of R seats to be sold at the lowest price and once those go, the prices jump.

Originally Posted by hscottm
I am looking at a June (9-13) trip to London. Have looked at LHR, CDG, BRU, etc and all are $3000+ in PP. The flights with PP are not overly booked, and most still have R space.

Yet the R prices are $3000+
The week before and after, the PP prices are normal ($1500-1800).

Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by under2100
I bought a round trip SFO-LHR in R class both ways, traveling Jun 7 - 16. It cost USD$1538.83 when I bought it, a few months ago. It was cheaper than W at the time so I was surprised. Perhaps they only allocate a small number of R seats to be sold at the lowest price and once those go, the prices jump.
i just bought a ticket to FRA through LHR in R in June because the nonstop to FRA only had O space. It was $1700ish. Considering there are only 24 seats per flight divided by “hypothetically” 8 seats per R, A, and O fare class... R should go really fast.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by myperks
i just bought a ticket to FRA through LHR in R in June because the nonstop to FRA only had O space. It was $1700ish. Considering there are only 24 seats per flight divided by “hypothetically” 8 seats per R, A, and O fare class... R should go really fast.
Assuming that UA's priced R fare class competitively.

David
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Assuming that UA's priced R fare class competitively.

David
the other route that I am eyeing are the TPE route. Appears semi competitive considering Eva has 3 flights daily with PE and China Airlines has 1 flight with PE. As cheap as $1300 but hovering around $1500. Eva and China airlines can go as low as $1000 for PE but EVA promo premium Econ accrues at 50%
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm seeing UA really tighten up on the R inventory compared to a month ago. And the O/A fares are ridiculous. Might as well just buy business class. Which usually means I'm not buying UA.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Mixed experience on ERW-BRU the other night...
- Pre-dinner "beverage snack" consisted of the FAs only handing out a pack of almonds (no beverage).
- Confusion related to special meals for people upgraded from Y.
- Uncertainty on who got what -- for example, the FAs had a discussion about whether PP should get ice cream or not, given a cookie on the trays.
- The food options on the menu were Buffalo mac and cheese (which includes chicken) or ravioli, but were presented as "chicken or pasta", which I found to be a bit confusing given that macaroni is also pasta.
- No mid-flight snacks offered, despite being on the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.