Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by EWR764
Did I miss this? Where was a guidebook posted?

Great pics and report, by the way. Thanks for sharing!
I was referring to an earlier post with in-flight notes for the crew regarding PPE service.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by elitefreak

I was referring to an earlier post with in-flight notes for the crew regarding PPE service.
Interesting... I tried to search the thread but could not locate it. Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitefreak

Interesting... I tried to search the thread but could not locate it. Thanks!
Sorry, could either of you link or quote that post? I can't find it either.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:26 pm

I flew a 15 hour flight in Premier Plus on a 777-300ER yesterday, and some observations:
  • The answer to my question earlier is that the underseat spaces are indeed off:
    • The 2 seats on the side seemed okay, the tracks aren't at the edges but there seemed to be room for a backpack in half of the bigger space (such that it doesn't intrude on the neighbor's space or their bag)
    • The 4 seats in the center have the same problem all 4-in-the-center 777s have; the tracks were spaced well for 3 or 5 seats, but not 4. You end up with a space too narrow for anything on the outer edges, and 3 offset larger spaces for the 4 seats. I sat on an aisle, and the seat next to me was empty. My bag would have been a few inches into their space (which is limited because of the next track, and 2 bags wouldn't have fit. I initially put my backpack overhead (along with my carryon), but took it down when I realized the seat would be empty.
    • The height of the underseat space wasn't great; something I couldn't see limited how far back I could push the bag until I smushed things a bit.
  • The PP seats are pretty nice; recline is great for an economy seat and the legrest and footrest are nice...but somewhat fiddly to try to get positioned and comfortable. I'm only 5'4", it might be harder for a taller person to get them positioned nicely.
  • The seat bottoms seemt to be particularly high off the floor -- hard to plant my feet on the floor, making the footrest more important than it would be in a regular seat
  • Meals were pretty good
    • No nuts served at the beginning of the flight, perhaps because it was a 12:55am departure and they wanted to get the first meal served quickly?
    • I heard the FA offer the first row a choice for dinner (chicken or pasta I think?), but no choice in my row and beyond -- a small cabin further divided into 2 aisle carts probably limits how much real selection there will be.
    • I did get a choice for breakfast -- I don't like weird omeletty types of breakfast things, and the "cereal" breakfast was perfect for me (cereal, yogurt, fruit, and a muffin).

I enjoyed the flight and would seek out PP again. I wouldn't take a middle seat in PP over an aisle in E+, and an aisle in E+ with an empty seat next to it (in a row with raisable armrests) might be slightly better than a PP seat with or without an empty -- but since there's no guarantee it will remain empty I'd choose the PP seat.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by fumje
Sorry, could either of you link or quote that post? I can't find it either.
I second that... still can't find it.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by JShLin
I paid 599, compared to a pre-check-in offer of 1209. I decided it was worth it for a near 15 hr flight. And I guess I'll wait until the gate tomorrow to see how the operational upgrades shake out.
Im flying EWR-HKG tomorrow 4/6; preflight was like $1600 or something stupid like that, but $650 at check in.

Going to take it given its 15 hrs. Gotta be leaps better than 10-across Y and deep vein thrombosis. FWIW seat maps looks nearly full with only about a dozen middle seats empty.

Also as a sort of datapoint, My friend did EWR-HKG in January on CX and upgraded via their auction for $500.
dcsnowwake likes this.

Last edited by civicmon; Apr 5, 2019 at 6:12 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:22 am

Are slippers provided? How about hot towels before the main and pre-arrival meal services?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: United Gold
I know we take anything we hear from crew with a grain of salt, but I was on The inaugural March 30 EWR-HKG PP flight (which as if they day switched to a 77W). Had bought PP and then got lucky and GPU cleared to Polaris. Sorry for delay in posting this but just returned from a busy trip. By the way only 2 upgrades cleared in the last few days - mine at T-24 and someone else lucky at the last minute.

i was chatting with a male crew member who was providing excellent service and during the flight told him what I said above. I asked what meal service was like in PP and his response was something like they havent fully finalized the menus, meals, or service. I was surprised since of course the product had just launched and he he said a few more weeks.

again, who knows, but it would explain the lack of menus, inconsistent service, etc, has anyone else checked on this?

Two more thoughts

1) the crew in Polaris was outstanding but matches what I have generally seen on EWR Asia flights. And the captain had turned on channel 9 the whole flight. I asked for it and then plugged in my headset and found it already on for the first time in a year.

2)there was NO promotion that I could see for the launch of PP, which sort of surprised me given recent United activities. Since it was the inaugural 77W flight on this route, all the Polaris seats had a stuffed bear - which my kid had named and adopted remotely by the time we took off :-)
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:45 am

What's channel 9?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
What's channel 9?
It allows you to hear the ATC from the cockpit. On PMUA it was ch. 9 on the audio system.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

It allows you to hear the ATC from the cockpit. On PMUA it was ch. 9 on the audio system.
Interestingly I had it on a recent EWR-BCN flight and when it was on, the remote control displayed "009".

So it is still, endearingly, channel 9.
UAPremierGuy and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by trust77
Are slippers provided? How about hot towels before the main and pre-arrival meal services?
No and no. A wet nap comes with dinner. They should offer this with the nuts.

I second that... still can't find it.
Sorry everyone. Someone posted a list of FA guidelines for PP. Maybe it was a hyperlink to another site? I cannot find it anymore. The first line item was specific to the optional water service pre-departure. I think the link was the Live and Let Fly post; perhaps they were asked to remove the internal information about crew guidelines for PP? Pretty sure that's where I saw it. It was not on TPG's later post.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 7, 2019 at 11:25 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Probably. But what is Joe Public going to do?
Fly VS, of course. But my point is that these comparisons are usually made with the implication that "UA thinks Joe Public will pay $3,xxx for this ticket, wow they're so arrogant and dumb" where their actual statement (which as Kacee notes, could be dead wrong) is "we've already sold enough on this flight so we're fine if he picks VS - we're saving our seats for last-minute premium revenue".
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:03 pm

The PP fares are all over the place. Planning summer and fall trips the upsell can be as little as $200 over an S fare and as much as $1,000. Even if it appears the cabin is empty based on seat map (I know its not an indication), some flights just dont have R space. And its definitely route specific. Looking to go to Frankfurt but the nonstops dont have R fares, only As and Os. But connecting on the same flight to somewhere else in Europe on LH in Y, R pops ups.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by myperks
... Looking to go to Frankfurt but the nonstops dont have R fares, only As and Os. But connecting on the same flight to somewhere else in Europe on LH in Y, R pops ups.
IME, in some cases, OJs also open up R

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.