Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by elitefreak
guidebook
Did I miss this? Where was a guidebook posted?

Great pics and report, by the way. Thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I read TPG's review of EWR-HKG in PP today and have a few take-aways from it and am looking forward to this experience on April 7 for myself to compare and contrast:
  1. If you're used to flying E- or E+, then this product is a big step up with extra space, fancier dishware and some glassware, amenities kit, and quite usable and serviceable blankets and pillows.
  2. If you're used to flying J, this product is going to suck as you'll feel like you missed an upgrade to the lie flat seat you oh so wish you actually had.
It seems a lot of TPG's review focused on the terrible service which does happen from time to time on all flights, not just United's. Personally I've had some really great service on my TPAC flights over the past 6-12 months and I'm mostly flying in E+, not J. Though I can understand the beef he has with the over cooked chicken. (I tried for a bad pun there and failed miserably ...) When the food is over cooked, regardless of the cabin you're in, then it's just a bad experience.

People need to remember this is an enhanced economy product and not some "light" version of business class. I think with expectations set accordingly, it'll be a great experience for most flyers.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:44 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Speaking of TPG's review, Zach says he was served by the Y-class F/As. I thought I read someplace (here on FT?) that the service was to be presented by the J-class F/As. Anybody have confirmation of which way it's supposed to be?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFHokie
People need to remember this is an enhanced economy product and not some "light" version of business class. I think with expectations set accordingly, it'll be a great experience for most flyers.
I've flown Premium economy on AF, BA, SK, and LH, and while it is indeed closer to Y than to C, it is a far better experience than Y, given the move to even less pitch and seat width in most Y configurations today.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It seems a lot of TPG's review focused on the terrible service which does happen from time to time on all flights, not just United's. Personally
It must have been really, incredibly bad service for TPG to give such a poor review.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by Kacee
It must have been really, incredibly bad service for TPG to give such a poor review.
That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I didn't focus too much on the part of the report about the service as it's really subjective based one someone's POV. Zach usually has good reports, so maybe he was a bit cranky himself 🤔 😎
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I didn't focus too much on the part of the report about the service as it's really subjective based one someone's POV. Zach usually has good reports, so maybe he was a bit cranky himself 🤔 😎
It sounds like he got a classically bad EWR crew. The kind who should not be in service positions.
MatthewLAX and SkiPremier like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:28 am

Question about underseat storage alignment (apologies if this was answered already): I'm choosing between a side-aisle or center-aisle seat -- do either have seat tracks preventing a backpack from fitting without intruding somewhat on the next seat over's foot space (as the center-aisle seats in the 3-4-3 E/E+ do)?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: united
I read TPG's review of EWR-HKG in PP today and have a few take-aways from it and am looking forward to this experience on April 7 for myself to compare and contrast:
  1. If you're used to flying E- or E+, then this product is a big step up with extra space, fancier dishware and some glassware, amenities kit, and quite usable and serviceable blankets and pillows.
  2. If you're used to flying J, this product is going to suck as you'll feel like you missed an upgrade to the lie flat seat you oh so wish you actually had.
It seems a lot of TPG's review focused on the terrible service which does happen from time to time on all flights, not just United's. Personally I've had some really great service on my TPAC flights over the past 6-12 months and I'm mostly flying in E+, not J. Though I can understand the beef he has with the over cooked chicken. (I tried for a bad pun there and failed miserably ...) When the food is over cooked, regardless of the cabin you're in, then it's just a bad experience.

You should have chickened out on the beef pun.

(FWIW I agree with your perspective on Premium Economy.)
SFHokie likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It sounds like he got a classically bad EWR crew. The kind who should not be in service positions.
Not on transpacs anyway. sUA crews understand their clientele on these segments.

The upgraded blanket and pillow are a nice touch for UA. The Polaris Saks bedding is sublime. Hopefully the PP one is good.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by myperks

its a pop up personal entertainment screen bulk head with a screen on the wall for general flight map and safety demonstration since the pop up needs to be stowed for take off and landing.
this. Though I tried it in Jan when it was PP seats, but not service. In row 20.

The pullout screens, at least on the 772 I was in, look a little smaller than the screens on the back of the seats for the other PP rows, but I couldn’t say for 100% sure - it’s hard to tell if the border of the screen on the seat back might make it just look bigger.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
So... A question. I accepted a TOD upgrade offer to P+ today for 869 tomorrow; however, upon trying to select a seat, it appears that P+ is in fact sold out. I assume that its been overbooked, and should expect to be shunted back into E+ with a refund. That said... Opinions on chances of getting one of the many currently open J seats?

Funny enough, checking my flight status on desktop, it looks like they haven't quite worked out the bugs... it shows as "Polaris Business," while true Polaris is listed as "Polaris First."
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by JShLin
So... A question. I accepted a TOD upgrade offer to P+ today for 869 tomorrow; however, upon trying to select a seat, it appears that P+ is in fact sold out. I assume that its been overbooked, and should expect to be shunted back into E+ with a refund. That said... Opinions on chances of getting one of the many currently open J seats?
UA will op-up P+ pax to business to resolve the oversale of the P+ cabin. Op-ups will likely be based on status.

May I ask what the price of the upgrade was?
Kannai likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Please for the love of god don’t pay that much for these seats!!! Jeezus. I won’t even pay that much for upgrade to actual business. About $650 is my upper limit unless I am going to Australia.

They are better than E+ indeed. But only about $200-300 or so for a long haul flight. EDIT: I will pay more if spending 14+ hrs on a plane.

I am curious, what is it about these seats that got your $900???? Wow.

Originally Posted by JShLin

Funny enough, checking my flight status on desktop, it looks like they haven't quite worked out the bugs... it shows as "Polaris Business," while true Polaris is listed as "Polaris First."

Last edited by bballdad175; Apr 2, 2019 at 11:51 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
I paid 599, compared to a pre-check-in offer of 1209. I decided it was worth it for a near 15 hr flight. And I guess I'll wait until the gate tomorrow to see how the operational upgrades shake out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.