Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Helping my mom pick a TATL and the UA R fare is only $400 higher (RT) than the cheapest economy. Talk about a no brainer. That's what E+ seats would cost. Also GPU eligible with some chance of cleaing (ahead of all the 1Ks on Ws).
I'm starting to see differential R fares across the Atlantic.. honestly I'm rather surprised since LH and AC had been happily selling PE at a much higher price point for years so I'm not sure why UA felt the need to upset the applecart. Not complaining, mind you
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
I'm starting to see differential R fares across the Atlantic.. honestly I'm rather surprised since LH and AC had been happily selling PE at a much higher price point for years so I'm not sure why UA felt the need to upset the applecart. Not complaining, mind you
Maybe the teaser introductory price.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Premium Plus seat pitch and width

What is the seat pitch and width on these seats? How does that compare to Economy Plus?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by jh6000
What is the seat pitch and width on these seats? How does that compare to Economy Plus?
You can find the dimensions for the seats in each class of service for the entire fleet on the United Website. Just click on the plane type for the information.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
While specs can be all over the place, they are roughly comparable to domestic recliner F on a 717 or 767 (2-2-2). A bit narrower than 2-2 F on a 737, but a huge difference from Economy (which is what E+ is).
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Another difference is recline -- typically 6" for PP, 3-4" for E+ and 2-3" for E- (note some economy seats have 0" recline if in front of a exit row)
UA domestic F is 5-6" recline
atword likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Thanks for the responses

John H
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While specs can be all over the place, they are roughly comparable to domestic recliner F on a 717 or 767 (2-2-2). A bit narrower than 2-2 F on a 737, but a huge difference from Economy (which is what E+ is).
Minor notice: UA does not operate the 717 or any 767 in domestic F-class.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Shots of 22J on ship #1004 from UA2006 EWR-SFO on 2019-02-22. This is the aisle seat right before the end partition for the Premium Plus section:

Here are the footy things that rotate down - I assume to be used when the seat is reclined during flight to prop your feet:

Here's the footy thing stowed for the 22L seat:

Kept negatively interacting with the armrest/seat tray lid on the left armrest:

Here's the gap between the seat and the rear P+ partition:

Not a great fan of the position of seat bracket for the two seats in front - for me there wasn't an easy way to extend my legs straight forward without interacting with the bracket:

Part of the problem is the underseat clearance - there basically isn't any:

And, when I deployed the footy thing and used it, even with the seat reclined, it felt like my knees were up in my face - and I'm only 6'2".

Screen with screen controls below the right side armrest and the two silver/aluminum buttons are the recline and leg rest deploy controls:

Aisles are tight as UA is wont to do on all aircraft going forward:

There's a fair size difference between the overhead bins in the middle section versus the outer ones. They're even smaller than the center ones for the 777's:

Didn't get a chance to see what mood lighting was like in P+ since the GA came in with my upgrade into 8L (which turned into 6L because the two women in 6L and 7L decided at boarding to choose to sit in 7L and 8L respectively...). Anyway, it was what it was.

Still haven't had a chance to sit in a P+ seat for a flight yet...

David
747FC and kaffir76 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
@DELee Thanks for the pictures and commentary. Is the seat bracket that impinged on foot space an issue on all non-bulkhead seats?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DELee;30818276
Here are the footy things that rotate down - I assume to be used when the seat is reclined during flight to prop your feet:

Here's the footy thing stowed for the 22L seat:

Kept negatively interacting with the armrest/seat tray lid on the left armrest:

[img
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.flyertalk.com-vbulletin/1500x2000/20190222_171719_33c600e86932b24ed5561a7b9043ade73c 4baa38.jpg

Here's the gap between the seat and the rear P+ partition:

Not a great fan of the position of seat bracket for the two seats in front - for me there wasn't an easy way to extend my legs straight forward without interacting with the bracket:

Part of the problem is the underseat clearance - there basically isn't any:

And, when I deployed the footy thing and used it, even with the seat reclined, it felt like my knees were up in my face - and I'm only 6'2".
David
I am 6' 2" as well and found it very difficult to get my legs in a comfortable position. I also knocked my shins on the footrests repeatedly during my flights because I found the footrest left me in a cramped position when extended.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 25, 2019 at 12:43 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I am 6' 2" as well and found it very difficult to get my legs in a comfortable position. I also knocked my shins on the footrests repeatedly during my flights because I found the footrest left me in a cramped position when extended.
Any idea how the bulkhead footrests work?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 747FC
I didn't get to sit in any bulkhead seats, so no personal experience. However, based on what I could see, they extend from underneath the seat and thus, bulkheads would likely be a better place to sit for tall people because they wouldn't be in your way and hitting your shins.
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm starting to see differential R fares across the Atlantic..
For example, RHX87NCT/PYUP.

Pricing these things is a big headache. They don't play well with the Lufthansa fares.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
They are attached to the legrests. You can flip them down so they're perpendicular to the legrests, which itself can be angled... maybe 30 degrees or so? By pressing a button, you can push the footrests down (think of it as extending the length of the legrests).

IMO not being shoulder to shoulder with your neighbor makes a massive difference over E+ (I'm short and normal-sized). Though I didn't get any sleep on a TPAC, I didn't feel utterly defeated at the end of the flight.

The IFE UI got a major overhaul. It's really sleek and responsive. The screens are large, and the seats came with headphones that seemed to have some passive noise reduction by virtue of them cupping the ears a bit.

The crew on my flight today (UA808) were really giddy over the new seats, and were eager to try out some of special procedures on them (like collapsing the armrests or removing the seat cover), and pointing out to passengers the location of the charging ports, etc.

A common theme I'm seeing in the few times I've rode in that cabin is that it's not obvious enough how to use the seat controls - seat position, popping out the tray table, or releasing the bulkhead IFE monitors (the button is TINY!).
747FC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.