Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by findark
They are playing a very dangerous game with PE and paid J contract traffic, and I think that's one of the reasons they are keeping the PE cabins small.
In spite of the the excellent economy and healthy stock market, corporations still must continue to increase their profitability and/or revenues in order to increase their share price. Cutting costs is an excellent way to increase profitability in an environment of slower revenue growth. One of the places where you could save a bunch of money is with corporate travel, and paying for P+ instead of J would have a large effect on the travel budget.

My previous statement was imprecise and conveyed the wrong premise since I don't believe that UA wants this result. However, I think that corporate bean-counters may exploit the proliferation of premium economy by saying that the increased comfort of the P+ product allows them to still provide acceptable premium seating for their employees at a lower cost.

Call me "paranoid" but I don't think this bodes well for corporate road warriors.
nomad420 and twomonger like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Feb 21, 2019 at 4:22 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:20 am

You're absolutely right, however I believe there are still a lot of companies that, in a strong economy, will retain a J policy if they want to retain talent. That said, I can see my employer increasing the J limit from >6hr international to maybe 8 or 9hr.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
You're absolutely right, however I believe there are still a lot of companies that, in a strong economy, will retain a J policy if they want to retain talent. That said, I can see my employer increasing the J limit from >6hr international to maybe 8 or 9hr.
Ours ditched it years ago which is one reason why most people don't give a toss any longer. The ones that leave never look back.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And not making it too nice. Nothing I've read makes me think I'll be satisfied settling for PE over J.
And this is the key point. There's a world of difference between J and PE but not much between PE and Y. PE appeals to leisure travelers who can afford a little more comfort (very often retirees) .
Silver Fox and twomonger like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
However, somehow we all managed back in the day with big cushy chairs.
This seat isn't nearly as good as the barcalounger was. It's narrower, firmer, and most importantly has an inferior leg/footrest and less recline.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
APE appeals to leisure travelers who can afford a little more comfort (very often retirees)
That is so true. My very frugal mother will splurge for PE, but never J (though she could certainly afford J). Some view "business class" as self-indulgent, while "economy" still sounds like a bargain.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This seat isn't nearly as good as the barcalounger was. It's narrower, firmer, and most importantly has an inferior leg/footrest and less recline.
That's absolutely true, but it is fundamentally still a chair

And this is the key point. There's a world of difference between J and PE but not much between PE and Y.
I continue to be amazed by this opinion. To me, the difference in seat width is huge and is the difference between active discomfort from having zero personal space for 9+ hours, rubbing shoulders with a stranger, and at least having a decent chair to sit in. Paying the crazy-small (at the moment) +$200 or +$300 that UA is charging on most routes would be a no-brainer for me, although I'm usually trying to buy J.

But YMMV.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I continue to be amazed by this opinion. To me, the difference in seat width is huge and is the difference between active discomfort from having zero personal space for 9+ hours, rubbing shoulders with a stranger, and at least having a decent chair to sit in. Paying the crazy-small (at the moment) +$200 or +$300 that UA is charging on most routes would be a no-brainer for me, although I'm usually trying to buy J.

But YMMV.
As findark stated the big difference for me is the lie-flat option in Polaris/J seating. Most people who may have to work the next day would prefer this for really anything much over 6 hrs. This is why some people are pushing back against there travel offices saying PE isn't enough for say a SFO-SIN run when you have to work upon arrival. I know it has been posted that some companies give employees a rest day after long 8+ hour flights but we can debate which way works best for you all day.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:54 pm

I had an equipment swap on UA808 Feb 24 and was able to switch to a PP seat (I was actually rebooked into one but didn’t realize it as I was making the seat change). Will it stick or should I expect to get the boot back into E+?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rmannion
I had an equipment swap on UA808 Feb 24 and was able to switch to a PP seat (I was actually rebooked into one but didn’t realize it as I was making the seat change). Will it stick or should I expect to get the boot back into E+?
No restrictions of PP seat access until 31 March 2019 and then only routes where PP is being sold (which does not include CPU routes)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
And this is the key point. There's a world of difference between J and PE but not much between PE and Y. PE appeals to leisure travelers who can afford a little more comfort (very often retirees) .
Over the past 3 month I've flown a number of transpacs and transcons in most classes (United Eco, ANA PE, United Domestic First, OZ Business, ANA First) and maybe I'm just too easy to please but the biggest jump in my mind in terms of comfort was from Eco to PE. Not being jammed into my neighbors, being able to naturally sit with my long legs, and being able to work comfortably on my computer are probably about 70% of the enjoyment of non-E. Looking at the rest of the year I'll definitely be happy with the PE and not stress about finding good fares for business... The United fares and product look quite good for my routes!
Mike Jacoubowsky and halls120 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
Over the past 3 month I've flown a number of transpacs and transcons in most classes (United Eco, ANA PE, United Domestic First, OZ Business, ANA First) and maybe I'm just too easy to please but the biggest jump in my mind in terms of comfort was from Eco to PE. Not being jammed into my neighbors, being able to naturally sit with my long legs, and being able to work comfortably on my computer are probably about 70% of the enjoyment of non-E. Looking at the rest of the year I'll definitely be happy with the PE and not stress about finding good fares for business... The United fares and product look quite good for my routes!
Given your comments maybe I am being to quick to dump on this product, especially since I have yet to experience it. That for the comment, sounds like you have tried a few seating options; I am sure I will eventually get to try the PE product.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

But YMMV.
The more passengers have that opinion, the better for me. I have flown many times in the BA Premium Economy seat and I expect that I will enjoy it as much on United when they will finally allow me to purchase Premium Plus from and to ORD. At least, I will not have to panic anymore that my upgrade to Polaris Business does not clear.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
You are indeed lucky. For my upcoming NRT trips, I am seeing differentials of $600- to $900- for P+ over Q. I find the P+ seats just as uncomfortable as the domestic slimline F seats.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Paying the crazy-small (at the moment) +$200 or +$300 that UA is charging on most routes would be a no-brainer for me, although I'm usually trying to buy J.
Helping my mom pick a TATL and the UA R fare is only $400 higher (RT) than the cheapest economy. Talk about a no brainer. That's what E+ seats would cost. Also GPU eligible with some chance of cleaing (ahead of all the 1Ks on Ws).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Helping my mom pick a TATL and the UA R fare is only $400 higher (RT) than the cheapest economy. Talk about a no brainer. That's what E+ seats would cost. Also GPU eligible with some chance of cleaing (ahead of all the 1Ks on Ws).
An excellent strategy, especially as R earns 150% PQM. For 1Ks too, this has an appeal. For example, SFO-FRA in April. R is $500 more than T, but only $50 more than W. So book R, get on the upgrade WL, at worst you have a PE seat.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.