Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
So I sat in row 20 on the 772 on NRT-IAD a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts:

- seat is fairly comfortable, and the extra legroom is nice
- legrest was good, and at least on the bulkhead, does come out from under your own seat. I think there one of the controls on the side was supposed to open up the footrest part, but it didn't seem to work - I had to flip open and closed manually with my foot (which worked fine).
- I did notice the screen seemed to be smaller in row 20 than 21/22. Apparently I'm not the only one. I'd guess this is because it gets stowed under the armrest, and there's only so much room if it's to fit there. Definitely confusing on how to actually release the screen to raise it, there's a small button you have to push (or pull...can't remember) and its definitely not obvious, and only marked with a colored dot (IIRC). Plus no indication you are to push and pull - so not intuitive. Also, while my screen worked fine, my daughters next to me, the touch screen didn't work so had to use the remote - my wife next to her did have the touch screen working, but seemed to be finicky.
- table is the armrest, of course, but there is also a button needed to get it to lift out initially, then you have to pull out the rest of the way. Also a bit confusing. The button you need to pull to get it out has a picture of a fork and knife on it.
- There did appear to be the ability to have a bassinet there

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have chosen a bulkhead, but it was the only place to get 3 seats next to each other. Interestingly enough, despite being full for the day prior to check in, we ended up leaving with 8 empty PP seats. Not sure what happened, and turns out we could have had 3 seats in row 22 by the end. Only 5 were upgraded, so couldn't have been only that...maybe a couple of missed connections of SDCs out.

All in all, was a comfortable flight, and definitely more so than 3-4-3 in regular E+. That said, I don't typically have the budget to book PE, so probably won't have much of an opportunity to try it out again anytime soon.
Thanks for your detailed feedback! ^

With the monitor stowed in the armrest, does this result in a slightly narrower seat width?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not sure if this is the right forum, but.... I am looking to purchase tix EWR-LAX over the summer, and there are two daily 787-10 flights. Can I book regular economy and choose a Premium Plus seat for no additional charge as a 1K? If so, can I do this for my family as well on my ticket?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gold23
Not sure if this is the right forum, but.... I am looking to purchase tix EWR-LAX over the summer, and there are two daily 787-10 flights. Can I book regular economy and choose a Premium Plus seat for no additional charge as a 1K? If so, can I do this for my family as well on my ticket?
Yes and Yes. I'm only a Gold, but just purchased LAX-EWR on this aircraft for Feb flight, and was able to snag a PP seat.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by tstauck
Yes and Yes. I'm only a Gold, but just purchased LAX-EWR on this aircraft for Feb flight, and was able to snag a PP seat.
Awesome. Many thanks.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gold23
Yes, however the caveat is that if they swap the equipment to 752 then you have no recourse since you only paid for Y. It's a good bet to see the PE seat if you book within 3 months though.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
[Forgive me if I’m in the wrong thread, but I couldn’t find one dedicated to pricing of Premium Plus seats. Please feel free to move.]

​I was pricing ​​​​​​UA J between BOS and Europe in August 2019, pleasantly surprised to see sub-$3K r/t Polaris fares commonplace. I noticed that our return UA flight BCN>EWR would be on a 787-10 and therefore also offered PY, so I figured I’d choose that on the way back, save a few hundred bucks.

Except PY was actually almost $100 more expensive than Polaris.

Is it perhaps the married EWR>BOS segment in B that’s jacking up he price? Or have they not yet loaded any discount PY fares on some routes, even when there are abundant deep discount Polaris seats?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Except PY was actually almost $100 more expensive than Polaris.

Is it perhaps the married EWR>BOS segment in B that’s jacking up he price? Or have they not yet loaded any discount PY fares on some routes, even when there are abundant deep discount Polaris seats?
Fares just do that.. there is no R space on your flights so it prices into A, and Business is just quite cheap at the moment.

(I had pulled BCN-EWR fares for some reason, ignore..)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:27 am

I've noticed this as well. Most PE TATL flights I've searched over the summer have come in at/near/more than the price for business. I had been hoping that they'd slot nicely in the middle, but so far no dice.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:41 pm

Ua pe sfo-hkg?

I have not flown United for a long time but noticed a not unattractive PE fare to HKG recently; what is UA's PE like? In terms ot the seat, meals etc? Is it worth the fare difference between Y and PE?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2019 at 6:57 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by puchong
I have not flown United for a long time but noticed a not unattractive PE fare to HKG recently; what is UA's PE like? In terms ot the seat, meals etc? Is it worth the fare difference between Y and PE?
You should give the actual fare difference between Y and PE for your fellow FTers to be able to comment about it.

I think that the real Premium Plus service will start at the end of March 2019 so there's no information yet about the meals.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2019 at 6:57 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Back on Ship #1001 for the third time, this time in an aisle seat in Premium Plus (22D).

A few updates:

The audio sound problem for movies has been resolved - you can now use your own headphone instead of the airline provided ones.

The seat I sat in previously (21E) already had an issue with the tray table. So double check all seat features before take off.

Remember the hard to reach phone and power plug behind the seat? I discovered that you can flip the armrest cover, and making the plugs easily accessible.

Last edited by PTahCha; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:54 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by puchong
PP service starts March 30, but I happened to fly the hard product SFO-HKG yesterday. Overall much more comfortable than E+, but quite quirky. First meal was, “ rice or fried rice” meaning no protein. The mid flight sandwich resembled the legendary Continental Turkey Bombs, but without mustard. Eggs at breakfast were lovely. The crew did I think three full beverage services, and seemed to have plenty of white (but not red) wine. My big gripe is that the audio jack was exceptionally hard to access, I.e. I had to get on my knees with a flashlight to find it. Also the screen interface was hard to use, and this might be my paranoia but I swear there is something that looks like a passenger facing camera at the bottom of the screen.

I’d pay a little more for PE Vs E+...but look forward to seeing the soft product launch. For what it is worth, the screen set expectations that it will Include discounted UC day passes, expanded baggage allowance etc-still how many people who will pay for PE don’t have status or a credit card granting similar benefits on international flights?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Premium Plus passengers also get a Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and blanket and noise-reducing headphones. On board, customers seated in United Premium Plus will receive an elevated dining experience with complimentary alcoholic beverages as well as custom dinnerware with flatware and a cloth napkin.
On top of the domestic First-like seat dimensions, I think as long as the above quoted amenities are offered, PP'll be a more than suitable product for a) those fortunate enough to not be in the back as well as b) those not fortunate enough to be in PL!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
LAX-EWR today on the 787-10, seat 20D, first row aisle. Plenty of room

Will report back on other items after the flight.

Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Looks like I will be quite lonely on the inaugural EWR-CDG March 30 . . .

FlyingHighlander and ajGoes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.