Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Old Jun 25, 2022, 7:28 am

Thank you so much for the fast reply!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by NewMom678
Thank you so much for the fast reply!
You can buy 4 seats in economy plus and achieve what you are looking for. The bulkhead rows have fixed seat dividers, so don't book those, but any other row of 4 in the center grouping will work for you.

In addition, you can buy a couple of these pillows to fill the floor space so that your child has a larger flat area:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28957738-post29.html

Buy it here:

https://1stclasskid.com/product/1st-...travel-pillow/
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jun 25, 2022 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:51 am

Award travel: Premium Plus TATL, but Economy in US

Using miles for Premium Plus BCN-IAD and can only choose Economy seats on the connection within the US. There are less Economy Plus seats available on the domestic segment than Premium Plus on TATL. If the Premium Plus class is eligible for Economy Plus domestically, is there a way to reserve that for some of our travelers and still stay on the same record?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stevehuff
Using miles for Premium Plus BCN-IAD and can only choose Economy seats on the connection within the US. There are less Economy Plus seats available on the domestic segment than Premium Plus on TATL. If the Premium Plus class is eligible for Economy Plus domestically, is there a way to reserve that for some of our travelers and still stay on the same record?
Unclear if that is still the policy (free E+ on PremPlus ticket). The statement has been removed from the website and others have reported the same experience -- unfortunately no one came back after calling UA.

If your issue is just a shortage of seats, I would expect no problem calling and getting what seats are available -- would think you should not have a problem online eithrr. E+ is not a ticket /fare / cabin change, it is a access issue.

Call and let's us know how it came out.
jsloan and CPS89 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Mostly just venting here, as the flight was not marketed as Polaris. If this is off topic, feel free to delete.

Was on LAX-ORD a few days ago on a 787-10. Boarded, sat in PP marked as E+. A few minutes after boarding myself and my neighbor were approached by two off duty attendants, we were in their seats. Check the app and they were right. At some point (probably after boarding as I usually look) we were moved into standard E+ seats.

It's just been annoyance after annoyance with UA the past few weeks for me.
nnn likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unclear if that is still the policy (free E+ on PremPlus ticket). The statement has been removed from the website and others have reported the same experience -- unfortunately no one came back after calling UA.
Data point - I booked Premium Plus transatlantic yesterday and my domestic UA connection allowed me to pick seats in Economy Plus (domestic leg booked in B-class), I have no UA status to grant me access to E+ otherwise.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CPS89
Mostly just venting here, as the flight was not marketed as Polaris. If this is off topic, feel free to delete.

Was on LAX-ORD a few days ago on a 787-10. Boarded, sat in PP marked as E+. A few minutes after boarding myself and my neighbor were approached by two off duty attendants, we were in their seats. Check the app and they were right. At some point (probably after boarding as I usually look) we were moved into standard E+ seats.

It's just been annoyance after annoyance with UA the past few weeks for me.
Were you moved prior to boarding or after boarding? What was your seat at check-in and on your BP?

Another good reason why to have a paper BP.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

If your issue is just a shortage of seats, I would expect no problem calling and getting what seats are available -- would think you should not have a problem online eithrr. E+ is not a ticket /fare / cabin change, it is a access issue.

Call and let's us know how it came out.
Called and learned Economy Plus is not provided with award travel. Did some test bookings and confirmed the same. It is only included on paid travel.
The rep was nice enough to move us to Preferred for free.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Were you moved prior to boarding or after boarding? What was your seat at check-in and on your BP?

Another good reason why to have a paper BP.
My seat was 9C when I last looked before boarding but became 15A when I was on the plane. Not sure I even had recourse with a paper BP, as PP is E+ on that flight.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPS89
My seat was 9C when I last looked before boarding but became 15A when I was on the plane. Not sure I even had recourse with a paper BP, as PP is E+ on that flight.
Seat assignments are never guaranteed. However, employees are generally* not allowed to boot other passengers out of a seat assignment because they'd prefer it. If you're certain that the people who took your seats were employees, I'd write to United to let them know -- something like, "FYI, I was on flight 1234 and I got removed from my preferred aisle seat after boarding and put back into a window seat. Although I realize that seat assignments are not guaranteed, I was very disappointed when I saw that I'd actually been re-seated to make room for United personnel."

That said, you're always going to be in better shape with a paper boarding pass, because you can show that you did have claim to that seat at one time. That's tougher to do with the electronic passes. If these people really were trying to pull a fast one, they may have been counting on you not being able to prove your point easily. (It's all in the computer, of course).

* Unless they've managed to negotiate it into their contracts. However, I find it hard to believe that UA would have specified a Premium Plus seat priority for flight attendants, especially if they really were off-duty (i.e, commuting, as opposed to deadheading).
SPN Lifer and CPS89 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:57 am

I had a flight cancellation and instead of flying HNL-NRT-SIN, I am now flying HNL-SFO-SIN. I managed to get an upgrade to E+ which now shows a seat upgrade possibility for the 16h flight from SFO-SIN to Premium Plus for $287/person. I remember checking upgrade options on my previous award flight and this seems like a good deal, but just wanted to see what others thought. Have never flown Premium Plus before.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:26 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

Originally Posted by goodtasting
I had a flight cancellation and instead of flying HNL-NRT-SIN, I am now flying HNL-SFO-SIN. I managed to get an upgrade to E+ which now shows a seat upgrade possibility for the 16h flight from SFO-SIN to Premium Plus for $287/person. I remember checking upgrade options on my previous award flight and this seems like a good deal, but just wanted to see what others thought. Have never flown Premium Plus before.
IMHO that is a good deal. It is a much wider seat, has more legroom and a legrest. I would take it without thinking twice, especially for the longest United flight.

So long
-Ralf
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:25 am

Now I have an option for a Premium Plus upgrade at $287/person which I'm mulling over in my head. It sounds like a good deal (never flown PP before) but not sure if I should jump on it.
For the SFO-SIN leg? Personally I would jump on that.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by fl1ger
Moin!

IMHO that is a good deal. It is a much wider seat, has more legroom and a legrest. I would take it without thinking twice, especially for the longest United flight.

So long
-Ralf
Thanks! In the end i decided to go for it so looking forward to the experience! ​​​​​​​I had a brain fart and didn't check how much the upgrade would have been if it were miles+copay so now I'm wondering how much that would have been but oh well haha.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Thanks! In the end i decided to go for it so looking forward to the experience! I had a brain fart and didn't check how much the upgrade would have been if it were miles+copay so now I'm wondering how much that would have been but oh well haha.
This should answer your question. Look for "From Economy to Premium Plus". Both business and economy upgrade awards are listed, flying Mainland US to South Asia (?).
Depending on your fare class upgrading from and the availability of upgrade space (big question), shouldn't be more than 30k miles, no copay. However, you made the right call IMO to buy up.

https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards
goodtasting likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.