Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joachimm
What 14 hour flight is only +$100 for PE? EWR-NRT is generally at least +$500 and up to +$1,500 RT

Edit: didn't realize E+ is so expensive to NRT! About +$400 RT so yeah, worth an extra $100 for PE if you can find it.
IAD-TPE via SFO was barely more than $100 for R vs. S when I flew it earlier this year.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by exerda
IAD-TPE via SFO was barely more than $100 for R vs. S when I flew it earlier this year.
I think those days are over, on the SFO-TPE route.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Just saw a TPAC itinerary where Premium Plus R is cheaper than a W fare: $1,100 vs $1,309.
Is this a good deal or likely a price error? I've seen threads where people reported great prices in PP.

I'm thinking if I should book this even though PZ=0 because R will mean greater waitlist priority and I'll spend 60 plus points vs 80 in W.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by leoo
Just saw a TPAC itinerary where Premium Plus R is cheaper than a W fare: $1,100 vs $1,309.
Is this a good deal or likely a price error? I've seen threads where people reported great prices in PP.

I'm thinking if I should book this even though PZ=0 because R will mean greater waitlist priority and I'll spend 60 plus points vs 80 in W.
I'm struggling to see why you would hesitate for even a second on spending $209 less for a better seat and lower potential upgrade cost?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
I'm struggling to see why you would hesitate for even a second on spending $209 less for a better seat and lower potential upgrade cost?
I didn't explain it very well, my choice was between booking R vs not booking it. The main idea of this trip is to use 2 GPUs / 60 plus points after Dec 4.
Already booked it but I'm just curious if this is great deal or a price error. R price lower than W doesn't make sense.

Last edited by leoo; Nov 16, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Just booked a Euro trip to Vienna for Jan. R was less than W also.. RT for only $1200 in R.
leoo likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
United's PE was definitely better than ANAs. The ANA cabin was only half full, and there were two Economy lavs right in front (good and bad), but the seats were pretty hard and the seating seemed a bit more cramped. Plus the usual, for me at least, hot cabin temps that all ANA flights seem to have. I usually like ANA food, quite a bit, but it was really bad last night. The western meal was a weird fish stew.

I thought that on United PE you could grab snacks during the flight a la carte, but it was just the standard economy service of a mid-flight small sandwich. We did get the snack basket once. Breakfast in PE was pretty bad; as reported previously, that huevos rancheros eggs benedict thing was completely foul. Luckily they brought everyone some pancakes with the fruit topping and a chicken sausage from economy, and those things are quite good.

I would probably pay a $100-150 more for PE on an IAD to Europe run. From IAD on a TPAC, I would value it several hundred bucks more than that. I got off the plane after 14.5 hours and felt fine. In 10-wide economy, I don't think I would, and that's worth some money to me.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
We probably should start a PP meal thread or expand on of the exiting thread but for now, here is the menu from a recent EWR-BRU flight
cesco.g and 8MiHi like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: UA Plat | *G
Originally Posted by catocony
I would probably pay a $100-150 more for PE on an IAD to Europe run. From IAD on a TPAC, I would value it several hundred bucks more than that. I got off the plane after 14.5 hours and felt fine. In 10-wide economy, I don't think I would, and that's worth some money to me.
I recently flew EWR-NRT in P+ and I felt relatively fine after the 14 hours. Definitely worth the extra few hundred dollars over 3-4-3 economy. The service is similar to domestic F though I agree the foil being left on is undesirable. The biggest difference maker for me was the leg rest and the much wider seat. I sat bulkhead row and thought it seemed much roomier than the other rows. Biggest perk is that unlike most bulkhead rows, no one waits for the lav in your space! (At least on 777-300)
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I just received a nice pre Christmas gift from UA. On waking to a dreaded flight update e-mail my 31f was now 20b. I had carefully picked out a cheap seat in the back and was prepared for that. I discovered (for once) that b in econ isn't bad news. The new AC was a Polarised v5 with premium plus. I found a new, relatively comfortable seat with a 2-4-2 format in a mini cabin. I think that UA might have a winner here, if it doesn't price it out of value.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:55 am

I just booked my first PP ticket using miles, simply because it cost less than economy.

Heres my issue though.
The wiki says "Free E+ access on connecting flights without PP seating (and booked in B fare class)"

However, on my connecting flight (LAX to FAT) all the seat options were at an additional fee, except for the very last row.

My tickets show:
Duration: 6h 13m
United Premium Plus (ON)
Breakfast

and then

Duration: 1h 7m
United Economy (YN)

Is this a mistake or is this policy?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I just booked my first PP ticket using miles, simply because it cost less than economy.

Heres my issue though.
The wiki says "Free E+ access on connecting flights without PP seating (and booked in B fare class)" ...
As an award booking you will not be in B nor use the appropriate B fares rules that allow E+ access

... United Economy (YN) ...

It is not clear what the rule is for award tickets but worth a call to press the point.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: united

Heres my issue though.
The wiki says "Free E+ access on connecting flights without PP seating (and booked in B fare class)"

However, on my connecting flight (LAX to FAT) all the seat options were at an additional fee, except for the very last row.

My tickets show:
Duration: 6h 13m
United Premium Plus (ON)
Breakfast

and then

Duration: 1h 7m
United Economy (YN)

I would assume the flight to FAT (one of the greatest airport abbreviations, by the way) is on one of those cute little RJ's without a lot of E+ seating.

But nothing wrong with calling United and asking if there's any E+ available.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I would assume the flight to FAT (one of the greatest airport abbreviations, by the way) is on one of those cute little RJ's without a lot of E+ seating.

But nothing wrong with calling United and asking if there's any E+ available.
Yeah it's a tad on the small size compared with my 787-10 connecting flight.

This is what the seat map shows.

$24 for the one economy plus seat (bulkhead).

$15 for anything not in the back 2 rows (which is where I selected0
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: united
Yeah it's a tad on the small size compared with my 787-10 connecting flight.

This is what the seat map shows.

$24 for the one economy plus seat (bulkhead).

$15 for anything not in the back 2 rows (which is where I selected0
Yeah, there's only 4 Y+ seats on that plane. My reading of UA's rules is that your PP ticket entitles you to one of them, so I would call United and ask a reservations agent to give it to you

You aren't, however, entitled to pre-select the "preferred" seats, which are just normal-pitch Y seats reserved for elite FF's and corporate customers, though you can ask to get one from the gate agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.