Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:35 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Start of formal service 30 March 2019
Initially, only on Polaris marketed flights and select aircraft (777s and 787-10s are the initial aircraft being retrofitted)
When not a Polaris marketed flight, Premium Plus seats will be considered E+

Premium Plus package
  • Wider seats (than Economy), more leg space (than E+), more recline (than E+), leg rest
  • Saks Fifth Ave bedding
  • Larger entertainment screens and noise reduction headset
  • Customers seated in United® Premium Plus will receive an elevated dining experience with Complimentary alcoholic beverages as well as custom dinnerware with flatware and a cloth napkin.
  • Premier Access® to help you get on your way faster"
  • Two free standard checked bags so you can pack more
  • Discounted United Club access for a better travel experience
  • Reserved overhead bin space for your carry-on bag
  • Earn 150% Premier qualifying miles and 1.5 Premier qualifying segments when you purchase a fare in United® Premium Plus.
  • Free E+ access on connecting flights without PP seating (and booked in B fare class)

Originally Posted by under2100 View Post
The Points Guy -- United Details Menu, Service Ahead of Premium Plus Launch

Extracted from the above article:
"... United’s providing our first glimpse ... in the form of an email to in-flight crew members......United also provided some instructions to flight attendants, along with tips from crew members who participated in a test flight. Some notable details include:
  • Menus (like the one above) will be placed at each seat
  • Pre-departure water may be served in a blue cup, time permitting
  • Almonds will be served alongside a choice of beverage after takeoff
  • The main meal will include a choice of two entrees, plus a salad, bread, ice cream and a cookie
  • Beer, wine (187ml bottles — about two glasses) and spirits will be available free of charge
  • Entrees and salads may arrive with a lid (it may not be removed, as it is in business class)
  • Meal orders will not be prioritized based on status
  • A customer may choose a standard economy meal instead, if they prefer
  • The pre-arrival meal will include a choice of two entrees as well, plus various side dishes, a biscotti and croissant
...
How is the PremuimPlus section treated on domestic flights or routes not offering PP fares?
If the route is not a formal PP route (with PP fares), the PP section is treated as additional E+ seats. The service levels / amenities will be standard E+ service. There is no access priority based on status, anyone with E+ access can select the PP seats for no additional costs.

Related thread: How does GPU/ Mileage Upgrade waitlist for business work with PremiumPlus?
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 19, 1:59 pm
  #676  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA 1K 2MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
Posts: 3,080
Originally Posted by larryw View Post
I have read reviews saying that the aisle armrest in premium plus can be lowered, but I have flown in these seats twice and couldn't find a way to do so. Has anyone been able to lower it? As someone with mobility issues, I found the high, rigid armrests made getting in and out of the seat really painful, especially when the seat in front is lowered. I also found the seat controls really hard to reach, and there don't seem to be any instructions for using them. As others have mentioned, the seat cushions are really uncomfortable, and for a large person such as myself you need to recline your seat almost completely to use the tray table. The extra width is great, but overall my experience was underwhelming.
Did you ask FA for help?
There is a button on the armrest that you need to push or pull. I do not recall exact location of this button. Someone else can chime in.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Jul 26, 19, 2:01 pm
  #677  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 6,870
Originally Posted by mcrw00 View Post
When 787-10s are used on domestic transcons, are the Premium Plus seats sold and serviced the same as Economy Plus?
Yes 100% -- I took advantage of this for upcoming RDU - EWR - LAX SYD flight.

My upgrade cleared on LAX - SYD but wasn't confident on EWR - LAX. They were selling PP as E+ and better yet the PP aisle was the same price as the regular C+ aisle (or within a couple bucks). My gmail isn't working to check receipt but believe I paid $125 or so for the PP seat which seemed worth it as a hedge if the upgrade doesn't clear (which I'm not counting on)
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jul 28, 19, 12:02 pm
  #678  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by larryw View Post
I have read reviews saying that the aisle armrest in premium plus can be lowered, but I have flown in these seats twice and couldn't find a way to do so. Has anyone been able to lower it? As someone with mobility issues, I found the high, rigid armrests made getting in and out of the seat really painful, especially when the seat in front is lowered. I also found the seat controls really hard to reach, and there don't seem to be any instructions for using them. As others have mentioned, the seat cushions are really uncomfortable, and for a large person such as myself you need to recline your seat almost completely to use the tray table. The extra width is great, but overall my experience was underwhelming.
It's been a long time since I last flew in premium plus. If there's not a button, then it might just be one of those where you might have to lift/pull the armrest upward a bit then push it down. I could very well be wrong as i was in the seat once and it's been months since.
qplazm1982 is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 9:22 am
  #679  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BOS (South End)
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Posts: 882
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Short answer: yes. Premium Plus is not offered as a distinct class of service in the domestic market (yet).

Even international, if Premium Plus isn't being sold as a separate class of service, the seats are considered E+. The only routes selling PP currently are the slate of markets announced in late 2018. As more 767s and 777s have re-entered the fleet with PP seats, they are appearing on lots more flights than just those in the release, but that won't be for long. I would expect UA to roll out a bunch of new PP markets for the IATA winter schedule, starting in late October.
Indeed as my upcoming EWR-LHR flight on September 21 (763 J heavy) is now marketing PP as a ticket option and I got bumped back to true E+ after being able to select the PP for free three weeks ago. Called up the fare desk out of curiosity to see what the buy up would be and was able to upgrade to PP for $62. Original fare basis was in S - agent said really "good deal" so I took it. The return is currently $350 so bailed on that option - bulkhead in row 31A should be fine. Check your itineraries for seat changes though!
EWR764 and Aussienarelle like this.
Sterndogg is offline  
Old Jul 29, 19, 2:03 pm
  #680  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 102
Had my first Premium Plus experience last week on a 777-300 from Newark to Tel Aviv and return. It was a mixed bag. First the pros - the seat was excellent and I was able to sleep about half the flight, the food was a definite upgrade from economy nicely served and nice sized portions, the amenities were also a nice upgrade with a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket, pillow and a nice amenity kit. The cabin was quiet as there was no reason for anyone except the flight attendants to pass through it and they rarely did. Now the bad - the service was strictly economy with absolutely no effort made to make the passengers in that cabin feel the least bit special. I was not expecting Polaris service - but I was expecting more then economy. On the EWR > TLV segment menus were passed out, pre-takeoff drinks were not offered, the almonds and drinks were not served before the meal and desert was never served. Flight attendants picked up the used trays promptly and were not seen until the pre-landing meal was served. The TLV > EWR leg was pretty much the same. Menus were not handed out, pre-takeoff drinks were not offered and almonds and drinks were not served before the meal. Bottom line - the seat was great and on a 10+ hour flight that's the most important thing. The hard product is almost identical to Premium Economy on American, but the service and personal touch American offers was not duplicated by United. After my experience on American I had high hopes for United - but I was underwhelmed. The service is still pretty new so perhaps they are working out the kinks.
eilat59 is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 11:03 pm
  #681  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,343
Is PP/Premium Economy worth 30K miles upgrade? I'm traveling with my two parents SFO-HKG-SFO and since I am Silver, it is unlikely any decent or any at all Economy Plus seats will be left a check in. I'd just use my miles to upgrade everyone and probably just do the PP, PP+$600 waitlist to Polaris. I'm sure the upgrade to Polaris will not happen. Might as well burn miles that I never use before our impending devaluation...
CApreppie is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 11:11 pm
  #682  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,303
Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
Is PP/Premium Economy worth 30K miles upgrade? I'm traveling with my two parents SFO-HKG-SFO and since I am Silver, it is unlikely any decent or any at all Economy Plus seats will be left a check in. I'd just use my miles to upgrade everyone and probably just do the PP, PP+$600 waitlist to Polaris. I'm sure the upgrade to Polaris will not happen. Might as well burn miles that I never use before our impending devaluation...
"Worth it" is a personal value judgment.
What is the cash price difference?
What are the miles worth to you?
Is there RN space today?

I have purchased PP at $200-$250 each way for West Coast - Europe. Europe is running cheaper for Asia presently for PP. Have done a number of transcons in the seat and the comfort difference is noticeable (even over economy seats of 3-5 years ago.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 8, 19, 11:33 pm
  #683  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,343
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
"Worth it" is a personal value judgment.
What is the cash price difference?
What are the miles worth to you?
Is there RN space today?

I have purchased PP at $200-$250 each way for West Coast - Europe. Europe is running cheaper for Asia presently for PP. Have done a number of transcons in the seat and the comfort difference is noticeable (even over economy seats of 3-5 years ago.
The buy up in the seat map is like $650. Since I don't do anything with the miles I suppose not much really. As long as I get 2 cents a mile out of them I'm content for the low number of miles. There is RN space HKG-SFO return, but not on the outbound SFO-HKG.

Thanks for your thoughts on the seats. Now that they have made the 777 10 across in economy, it really is a sardine can in the back.
Silver Fox likes this.
CApreppie is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:48 am
  #684  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CLE
Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Posts: 1,031
Any recent reports of people losing PP seat assignments on non-PP routes for cases other than swaps? Such as for higher-status pax? I'm trying to judge whether to stay in my current possibly PP seat, or move. There are plenty of E+ seats available, but I'd hate to end up in a middle. This is for MUC-IAD, which lately had PP-config 772s consistently.
gusd is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:43 am
  #685  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BOS (South End)
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Posts: 882
Originally Posted by gusd View Post
Any recent reports of people losing PP seat assignments on non-PP routes for cases other than swaps? Such as for higher-status pax? I'm trying to judge whether to stay in my current possibly PP seat, or move. There are plenty of E+ seats available, but I'd hate to end up in a middle. This is for MUC-IAD, which lately had PP-config 772s consistently.
I think you should be fine since it is "marketed" as an E+ seat and I haven't heard of people getting bumped from their seats unless equip swap but I'd monitor your itin just in case.
Sterndogg is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 12:55 pm
  #686  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 47,303
Originally Posted by gusd View Post
Any recent reports of people losing PP seat assignments on non-PP routes for cases other than swaps? Such as for higher-status pax? I'm trying to judge whether to stay in my current possibly PP seat, or move. There are plenty of E+ seats available, but I'd hate to end up in a middle. This is for MUC-IAD, which lately had PP-config 772s consistently.
Bumps for higher-status passengers in any cabin are essentially unicorn events -- exceptionally rare and very much against UA policy.

However, if the flight gets converted to PP offering flights, those that selected the PP seats as E+ are getting bumped back to what they paid for, E+.

Aircraft swaps and seating reshuffles are another matter,
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:00 pm
  #687  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CLE
Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Posts: 1,031
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Bumps for higher-status passengers in any cabin are essentially unicorn events -- exceptionally rare and very much against UA policy.

However, if the flight gets converted to PP offering flights, those that selected the PP seats as E+ are getting bumped back to what they paid for, E+.

Aircraft swaps and seating reshuffles are another matter,
Thanks. This is for next week, so I doubt MUC-IAD gets converted by then. Fingers crossed.
gusd is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:25 pm
  #688  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 174
I am booking an MCO-MUC flight for end of November to beginning of December.

I noted that thru ORD there were often PP seat aircraft available without upcharge. Looking at flight status, it seemed that 60-70% of the time that that is true. Seems similar for IAD, but I did not check as deeply.

So I went looking to see when and if United would start selling the MUC flights as PP. It appears that starting the first or so of January that 1) IAD will go to PP seats being purchase-able, 2) ORD will start using 767's, and ) IAH will stay with 767's.

So it smells like PP aircraft are still a E+ thing until the first of the year and then things get a little more fixed.

Continuing to dig on PP, for the first time I see a 767 with PP for sale on EWR-LHR. It is 2-2-2. I also see that E+ is now most of the two-seat seats of the 2-3-2 seating configuration down the back.

This PP thing is really rolling out everywhere.

edit: I now see Sterndogg's post above about the LHR route.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 9, 19 at 2:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
pretzlaff is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:35 pm
  #689  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 12,343
I've read a couple reviews on the full PP/PE service and those FAs should be instructed to remove the foil from the entrees of the meals before serving. Something so simple makes a huge difference. A better mid-flight snack would be nice too.
eilat59 likes this.
CApreppie is offline  
Old Aug 9, 19, 7:49 pm
  #690  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 3,453
Originally Posted by pretzlaff View Post
So I went looking to see when and if United would start selling the MUC flights as PP. It appears that starting the first or so of January that 1) IAD will go to PP seats being purchase-able, 2) ORD will start using 767's, and ) IAH will stay with 767's.
The way I'm looking at it it's going to be years before they start selling PP for ORD flights.........
StuckinITH is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread