FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1940155-premium-plus-premium-economy-seats-experience.html)

lhrsfo Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 30428199)
And this is the problem with adding more Economy classes; it inherently breeds confusion.
Customers are going to be invariably disappointed unless it is crystal-clear what they are buying. We now have BE, E, E+ and P+. To an infrequent flyer, that is too many choices, and they are further confused by the benefits/limitations of each class.

My opinion is that this experiment will fail.

I don't see why this should breed any more confusion than UA does calling Business Class "Polaris", or any of the other silly marketing names. All the search engines are quite clear - there are four classes for travel: First, Business, Premium Economy and Economy. Not all classes are offered on all flights and pretty well everyone knows this. I would agree that airlines splitting out their offering within a class (E+, regular E and Basic E) is confusing but that's got nothing to do with PE which is a separate class.

And I very much doubt that the "experiment" will fail - in fact, it's not really an experiment at all since it's been in operation at many major airlines for many years and they've, by and large, been expanding the number of seats in the PE cabin. Furthermore, whilst originally, all the offerings were widely varied, nowadays there seems to be a consensus forming as to what is expected.

zombietooth Nov 14, 2018 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 30428294)
Furthermore, whilst originally, all the offerings were widely varied, nowadays there seems to be a consensus forming as to what is expected.

That "consensus" would likely not include UA's inferior soft product. As a frequent Polaris flyer, I find that the food and service are poor, and inferior to most of the Asian carriers.
I can't imagine UA spending more to improve them, so I don't see UA rising to the level of the Asian carriers' PE.

dinoscool3 Nov 14, 2018 7:08 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 30428396)
That "consensus" would likely not include UA's inferior soft product. As a frequent Polaris flyer, I find that the food and service are poor, and inferior to most of the Asian carriers.
I can't imagine UA spending more to improve them, so I don't see UA rising to the level of the Asian carriers' PE.

PE is a whole different animal though, doesn’t seem to follow the normal “Asian is best.” In my limited experience, AC has the best PE out of LH, AC, and SQ. SQ was better than LH but only barely thanks to a superior hard product. The soft product is the same as Y except you can Book the Cook.

Imstevek Nov 14, 2018 7:50 am

From what I’ve seen on UA, and flown on others (LH, BR, NH, SQ, JL) United has most of it right so far. LH 359’s have no divider and there’s no difference in the cabin experience - louder, feels more crowded. The seat looks nearly the same as the NH set up, which is most comfortable along w BR.

I’m consistently blown away by the negativity here. Especially by those who haven’t flown it, or haven’t been in PE. What a country!

Aussienarelle Nov 14, 2018 8:21 am

And this is the problem with adding more Economy classes; it inherently breeds confusion.
Customers are going to be invariably disappointed unless it is crystal-clear what they are buying. We now have BE, E, E+ and P+. To an infrequent flyer, that is too many choices, and they are further confused by the benefits/limitations of each class.

I disagree. I think there was more confusion with E+ as many infrequent flyers are aware of PE and thought that was what they were buying with E+. Now there is true PE (or in UA parlance P+) on UA much easier for folks.

As it relates to BE the UA website is very clear about what you are buying. I do not buy through third party websites so cannot speak to that causing confusion.

I love NZ PE and the former TK PE. Obviously J (or Polaris in UA parlance) is preferable for long haul red eyes but a true PE seat for a long haul red eye suits me well for the price. I have previously canceled UA E+ when it was obvious the UG would not occur and flew NZ PE to Australia (last Christmas being the most recent example).

I forsee a great demand for P+ on long haul flights if priced correctly.

zombietooth Nov 14, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 30428607)
From what I’ve seen on UA, and flown on others (LH, BR, NH, SQ, JL) United has most of it right so far. LH 359’s have no divider and there’s no difference in the cabin experience - louder, feels more crowded. The seat looks nearly the same as the NH set up, which is most comfortable along w BR.

I’m consistently blown away by the negativity here. Especially by those who haven’t flown it, or haven’t been in PE. What a country!

If you're referring to me, I have flown the UA PE twice. I find the seat uncomfortable but equal to NH's. I like BR's overall product the best.

P+ is not worth over twice what E+ costs to me. YMMV.
I am really agnostic here. I only speak about that which I have experienced, and I am not a UA hater. I am biased towards UA because I only need 200K to get lifetime 1K, so I do give them the benefit of the doubt most of the time.

Kacee Nov 14, 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 30428697)
P+ is not worth over twice what E+ costs to me.

The value will really depend on the pricing. It needs to be closer to Y than to J to make sense. With BR, for example, it's only a nominal increase over Y (and upgradeable with miles if you buy the K fare).

If UA prices anywhere close to a W, it will be a very good value to those waitlisting GPUs who have to fly on a specific day.

I really don't see much of a negative here from the passenger's perspective. More options = better, though yes, there's always the possibility for confusion among those who do not take the time to educate themselves.

cesco.g Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Today's announcements of the 6 TATL destination for the 787-10 mentions:

"Tickets will be available for purchase on Dec. 3, for travel beginning March 30"

Could be the launch date for selling PE fares ... ? ....

GoSh4rks Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Any additional data points on how the 77w seat assignments are handled? I saw one anecdote in the 77w thread that it was reserved to 1k and GS. I have 5 seats (myself and 4 no-status) right now in 20-22, but would much rather have the other 4 seats be in 39 if the seats are going to be shuffled and restricted to 1k/GS.

trooper Nov 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 30428685)
I disagree. I think there was more confusion with E+ as many infrequent flyers are aware of PE and thought that was what they were buying with E+. Now there is true PE (or in UA parlance P+) on UA much easier for folks.

As it relates to BE the UA website is very clear about what you are buying. I do not buy through third party websites so cannot speak to that causing confusion.

I love NZ PE and the former TK PE. Obviously J (or Polaris in UA parlance) is preferable for long haul red eyes but a true PE seat for a long haul red eye suits me well for the price. I have previously canceled UA E+ when it was obvious the UG would not occur and flew NZ PE to Australia (last Christmas being the most recent example).

I forsee a great demand for P+ on long haul flights if priced correctly.

I too am a fan of NZ PE....Sure, I always put in for UG to J, but if that does NOT clear...well..you still have a pretty decent seat/package.. Interesting that you mention TK because they have actually abandoned PE.... yet NZ has INCREASED the number of seats in that class..... I think its here to stay myself..... and if UA is competitive in price on the TRANSPACS with NZ..yeah..I'll give it a go!

dilanesp Nov 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 30428277)
Pardon me for not knowing this, but does BA have 4 economy classes?

UA is already marketing E+ as, "more comfort and greater legroom". Customers have learned that and paid for E+ subscriptions or up charges. Now, they will be marketing an "even better economy plus" and I just don't think that its going to catch-on, especially since it's going to cost double.

I fly on my own dime and would likely never buy this product-but I know how uncomfortable the new seats are.

There is a significant market for this.

Premium Economy serves the market that used to fly international Y- the upper middle class. The reason for its existence is that there is now a cattle class offering cut-rate 10-across transoceanic service for the working and middle-middle classes who couldn't fly to Europe or Asia at all back in the old days.

These upper middle class flyers cannot afford to fly J at $4500+ roundtrip. But they want decent service.

FlyingHighlander Nov 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 30430856)
These upper middle class flyers cannot afford to fly J at $4500+ roundtrip. But they want decent service.

Nailed it. These days I'm fortunate enough to not even consider Economy for international flights. I'll happily pay around 2.5x the Economy price for PE. Mainly for legroom/space. Anything else such as better food sweetens the deal. Paying 3-8x over Economy for J is part of out reach, and part just not where I want my money going.

spin88 Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30423326)
SAS, for example. There is a divider in the middle, but wide open on two sides. Legrooms are absolutely amazing.

I was just on the SAS A340 and I think it had deviders on both sides. I agree, leg rest worked very well. Food was the Y food, but on China, and with champaign and snacks. But I found the SAS food to be much better than what UA gives in domestic First. I happily ate what SAS served, would not say that about UA's food...

Originally Posted by hughw (Post 30426155)
These seats look pretty uncomfortable...also surprised that they're not in "shells" like Air France and some others.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/busine...d-your-dollar/

The seat is standard, same seat that DL and AA are using. Not the best PE seat out there, but a major step up from 10x Y :eek:

The "confusion" with E+ appears to be Delta specific. They really ought to be sued for allowing their C+ product to be listed as PE on 3rd party cites. Its just fraud. Delta itself, as does UA, makes clear what you are getting, but Delta messes up iwith third party cites (e.g. Kayak). PE is here to stay, and has been arround for at least 15 years. I took BR PE way back in 2001ish on the old "combi" 744. I think that was my first PE flight. Then took AF and VS the following year. I was also a good option when a case/client would not pay for J....

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 30430856)
There is a significant market for this.

Premium Economy serves the market that used to fly international Y- the upper middle class. The reason for its existence is that there is now a cattle class offering cut-rate 10-across transoceanic service for the working and middle-middle classes who couldn't fly to Europe or Asia at all back in the old days.

+1. And I might add that there is a substantial market for this for overseas businesses for whom a J ticket for travel is not going to cut it, or for trips (especially TATL) that are in the 7-8-9 hour range where company policies may not allow J. I have probably taken 20+ business trips in PE, all where a client/case would not support J travel, usually at the last minute. The airlines that got those $1500-2500 fares were far better off with that $$$ and I with a better seat.

lightbulbs Nov 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30428238)
Why should it? I have flown Premium Economy on BA since the early 2000's and it still exists.

For me, it's not too soon that UA puts a Premium Economy. I'm not in the lucky position that my employer pays Business Class for my international long hauls so I have to pay the difference between the Economy fare and the Business Class fare (or upgrade with instruments or take a TOD but those are never guaranteed to be available). I'd rather pay the difference between the Economy fare and the Premium Economy fare as from my experience flying on BA, I know that I arrive in good shape at my destination when I fly Premium Economy.

The rebranding of old world First to new world business and old world business to new world PE has a bit to do with trying to make sure business passengers buy what’s called business class. With larger business class cabins that are all lie flat there is a case to be made that business travelers need to be able to sleep on long hauls so they arrive and can work. The main business risk of PE is not that some portion of Y passengers won’t pay a premium for Y, but that eventually businesses who would otherwise buy J buy PE instead because it is offered. One could imagine corporate travel policies eventually being modified to only allow PE for daytime flights or flights in between 6-9 hours which would cannibalize J revenue. Part of reducing the risk of that is rebranding it Business and PE instead of the old-school First and Business.

Aussienarelle Nov 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 30427116)
Looks like I will be giving a review after my flight on Thursday (SFO-LHR), unless the UG comes through...fingers crossed (on the UG), but I am currently in the window bulkhead seat.

So I am #6 on the UG list with two seats available.

Does anyone know the amenities that are provided in P+?

1. Earphones?
2. Alcohol?
3. Pillow?
4. Blanket?

Thank you.