Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How do you want an answer to "How bad are ..... ?" beyond what you know already -- PP has wider seats, more pitch and more recline, better food, .... what those mean to any one person is subjective. If you value a window higher than those, then that is what you should chose.

Or was this a rhetorical question?
No, I've never sat in one of them. I also have flown enough to know that you can only tell so much from width and pitch numbers (particularly pitch -- it seems only loosely correlated with legroom)

I get it though -- my question probably isn't specific enough. I guess I'm just nervous about using myself as a guinea pig on an 11 hr flight. Seems like a high risk kind of decision. First world problems, maybe, but I do not like economy.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by narvik
I thought the crew was amalgamated nowadays, and not dissociable between pmCO and pmUA any longer?
While they aren't identified as such anymore, when flying Long haul from a former CO hub (IAH and EWR) they are most likely from CO whereas ORD, IAD, and SFO are usually UA
Old May 13, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No, I've never sat in one of them. I also have flown enough to know that you can only tell so much from width and pitch numbers (particularly pitch -- it seems only loosely correlated with legroom)

I get it though -- my question probably isn't specific enough. I guess I'm just nervous about using myself as a guinea pig on an 11 hr flight. Seems like a high risk kind of decision. First world problems, maybe, but I do not like economy.
This is my ranking of PP vs. E+ seats, in the order of my most desired to least desired:

1) PP bulkhead window
2) PP bulkhead aisle
3) PP non-bulkhead window
4) PP non-bulkhead aisle
5) PP bulkhead middle
6) PP non-bulkhead middle
7) E+ non-bulkhead window
8) E+ non-bulkhead aisle
9) E+ bulkhead window
10) E+ bulkhead aisle
11) E+ bulkhead middle
12) E+ non-bulkhead middle

Yes, I have rated PP ahead of E+ in every single seat scenario, including middle over window/aisle. Comparative speaking, I have had better experience in PP bulkhead seating vs. PP non-bulkhead seating than E+ bulkhead seating vs. non-bulkhead seating, thus the higher ranking of PP bulkhead over PP non-bulkhead and E+ non-bulkhead over E+ buckhead.

Based on PP seat time of 787-10 (2-3-2), 772 (2-4-2),, and 77W (2-4-2).
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have not sat in the 10 across PP refitted E+. But judging from what I see, sardines is a word that kept coming to mind as I navigated myself through the very much narrower aisles. It looks absolutely appalling and I couldn't care less if all airlines are doing this, it is still appalling looking to me and I am expecting miserable experiences in my future. Hopefully I am massively wrong.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
So it seems UA finally introduces a real Premium Economy product with Premium Plus. I checked out their website and it looks quite decent. My question is does anyone have a timetable for retrofitting the fleet. I will fly Papeete - San Francisco in January 2020 on a 787-8 and bought an upgrade to E+. Any chance the 787-8 fleet will be retrofitted until then?
Old May 13, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
About the only comparison I'd be interested in (which UA is not flying) is a bulkhead or extra legroom Y seat versus a PE middle seat on a 350 where the carrier went with the sardine 2-4-2 PE layout.

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
So it seems UA finally introduces a real Premium Economy product with Premium Plus. I checked out their website and it looks quite decent. My question is does anyone have a timetable for retrofitting the fleet. I will fly Papeete - San Francisco in January 2020 on a 787-8 and bought an upgrade to E+. Any chance the 787-8 fleet will be retrofitted until then?
Zero chance. The 788s are at the end of the line for mods, and PPT is going to be near dead last for receiving premium hard products.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM

Disclaimer: I have flown United PP only as C+ on EWR-LAX-IAH on the 78J. The seats seem IDENTICAL to Delta's (even the horrible location of the headphone jack and USB). I HAVE flown that in the middle 2-4-2 on their 777 from MSP-HND. It's not bad, and DEFINITELY beats anything in standard economy. I base this on you are not touching anyone else. With a neck pillow, I slept well. To get up, I did need to bother the passenger in the aisle. However, if I was in a window in their Y+ layout, I would have had to bother 2 people. If you are on a 777 with PP from UA, it is a no-brainer. With the 10-abreast cattle car in back, I find any seat in that cabin unacceptably-narrow.
Silver Fox and VegasGambler like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most likely a stupid question, but...

UA 927 FRA-SFO in PP... reservation says "Meal: Not Offered on this flight". That can't be right, can it? 11.5 hr flight leaving FRA 5:25pm, arriving SFO 8pm
Old May 14, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Most likely a stupid question, but...

UA 927 FRA-SFO in PP... reservation says "Meal: Not Offered on this flight". That can't be right, can it? 11.5 hr flight leaving FRA 5:25pm, arriving SFO 8pm
You will have two meals served - one shortly after departure, and another before arrival. Also snacks mid-flight.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by mauld
Then maybe someone should alert the FA's, as I saw all of them using the card readers for anyone in E+ ordering beer, wine etc.

Its been 4 days now, and the charge has NOT appeared on my AMEX, so perhaps the situation was rectified.
Opp, spoke too soon. The $9.00 just showed up on my AMEX! Anyone know if I can still use those UA drink certs, I have tons of them, but they show an expiration date of 2013?
Old May 15, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mauld

Opp, spoke too soon. The $9.00 just showed up on my AMEX! Anyone know if I can still use those UA drink certs, I have tons of them, but they show an expiration date of 2013?

Yes, Are Expired/Undated UA/CO Beverage Vouchers Still Accepted on Flights?

But should be no need for SFO/LAX<>EWR or SFO<>BOS if in E+. If the FA is unfamiliar, just ask them to check with the other FAs. You just got an undertrained FA.

And, separately for 1Ks/GSs, they always get free drinks / food in all domestic flights
Old May 15, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: United
I just checked on flights from EWR to Dublin for this August. Regular Economy was something like $359 one-way; Premium Economy was literally 10 times that much. Any idea what's going on with that? Seems crazy.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Biggs
I just checked on flights from EWR to Dublin for this August. Regular Economy was something like $359 one-way; Premium Economy was literally 10 times that much. Any idea what's going on with that? Seems crazy.
If round trip it’s only double as much.
One way seems to book into full fare premium plus for Europe routings.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA generally does not offer discount one-way fares for TATL especially for premium cabins
Why are international OWs so expensive, such high fare classes?

You will need to be looking at LCCs.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, not sure what is making the one-way Y price so insanely low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.