Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Old May 3, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: United Platinum
Domestic flights just get the PP seat, otherwise it's the normal Economy service/food/etc. I flew SFO-IAD earlier in the week on a 777-200 with PP in row 21, and while the seat was quite nice I still brought my own sandwich.

Overall, I was very pleased with the seat. It's not a lie-flat, of course, but I found it very similar to domestic first class seats on the 737 in terms of leg room, comfort, etc. A tad narrower, but still much better than even the best normal Economy seats.

And you won't get the seat "taken away" unless the airframe switches to one that doesn't have the same seats. My SFO-IAD flight had two such switches in 24 hours. I don't know how common it is for LAX but definitely pay attention to the seat map in the last 72 hours.

Bob

Last edited by bpratt; May 3, 2019 at 11:12 am Reason: added info
Old May 3, 2019, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mauld
I'm doing a quick MR ($291 r/t) next week EWR-LAX, outbound on a 787-10 and was able to get 21 J in PP. As Gold, I was able to easily select the PP seat at no extra cost, does that mean it "may be taken away from me" to upgrade a higher level passenger prior to my flight ? And assuming I do get to keep it, will I be served breakfast or should I bring my own? (My return is on a 752 - 10D)
There is no PP service on domestic flights, those seats are just consider E+. Standard E+ service on EWR-LAX includes a "hot" meal.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Premium Plus on 787-10 domestic routes

Was unable to find info on this elsewhere so thought I'd start a new thread. Apologies if it has been discussed.

1K member. I had a flight LAX > EWR booked in Q class. I was on the phone at booking with an agent who was helping assign a seat for me and mentioned I could only be in rows 30+ since rows 20, 21 and 22 were PP. All good, had her put me in row 30 and also apply an RPU while we were at it.

When I checked in for the flight, I noticed I could put myself in a number of open seats in rows 20-22, so I did. First time sitting in PP - it was nice! Nothing special on the domestic leg though in terms of amenities. Two questions

1) why was I blocked from selecting the PP rows at booking and then allowed at T-24?
2) this didn't use my RPU, right?
Old May 5, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by itslmf
Was unable to find info on this elsewhere so thought I'd start a new thread. Apologies if it has been discussed.

1K member. I had a flight LAX > EWR booked in Q class......

1) why was I blocked from selecting the PP rows at booking and then allowed at T-24?
2) this didn't use my RPU, right?
PP seats on the 787-10 are handled as just E+ seats on domestic flights including on premium transcon routes such as EWR-LAX.

Any passenger with E+ access can select those seats, you should have been able to select those seats at any time as a 1K -- as a Gold, I have had no trouble making those selections, which I have done multiple times. You got bad info from the agent (faux 1K agent) and if you had gone online, you would have been able to select Rows 20, 21 & 22 on the 787-10s for EWR-LAX.

The RPU is for access the lie-flat seats and has not been used.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PP seats on the 787-10 are handled as just E+ seats on domestic flights including on premuimtranscon routes such as EWR-LAX.
Any passenger will E+ access can select those seats ,you such have been abe to select those seats at any time as an 1K -- as a Gold, I have had no trouble making those selections, which I have done multiple times.
thank you! i thought so but then wondered why she wouldn't let me get one at booking..?
Old May 6, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by itslmf
thank you! i thought so but then wondered why she wouldn't let me get one at booking..?
Ticket agents have been known to make up rules that don't exist.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:28 pm

Browsing this thread has been illuminating. I haven't really had any interest in trying PE from any US airline, especially not when AC offers such an excellent one and usually better connections from DCA. I wish UA the best in its endeavors.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by copperred
Browsing this thread has been illuminating. I haven't really had any interest in trying PE from any US airline, especially not when AC offers such an excellent one and usually better connections from DCA. I wish UA the best in its endeavors.
All of the US3's PE hard products are (with the exception of the leg rests) identical. Same seat. I just booked a trip, and ended up with AA in PE, fare was about $100 cheaper/seat, and the "domestic" legs were on A321s in E+, while UA was trying to jam us into a 777 in E+ one way, and I am not riding on that plane.

And on another trip I skipped out on UA and went with AF PE, better service, and was actually cheaper.

At this point, I am agnostic, I am just not flying on any 10x 777s and try to avoid the 7-narrow-7 on long domestic routes.
Silver Fox and copperred like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
All of the US3's PE hard products are (with the exception of the leg rests) identical. Same seat. I just booked a trip, and ended up with AA in PE, fare was about $100 cheaper/seat, and the "domestic" legs were on A321s in E+, while UA was trying to jam us into a 777 in E+ one way, and I am not riding on that plane.

And on another trip I skipped out on UA and went with AF PE, better service, and was actually cheaper.

At this point, I am agnostic, I am just not flying on any 10x 777s and try to avoid the 7-narrow-7 on long domestic routes.
I really like the AF product, but I avoid AF like the plague. Too many impromtu work stoppages.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Smile

Originally Posted by bpratt
Domestic flights just get the PP seat, otherwise it's the normal Economy service/food/etc. I flew SFO-IAD earlier in the week on a 777-200 with PP in row 21, and while the seat was quite nice I still brought my own sandwich.

Overall, I was very pleased with the seat. It's not a lie-flat, of course, but I found it very similar to domestic first class seats on the 737 in terms of leg room, comfort, etc. A tad narrower, but still much better than even the best normal Economy seats.

And you won't get the seat "taken away" unless the airframe switches to one that doesn't have the same seats. My SFO-IAD flight had two such switches in 24 hours. I don't know how common it is for LAX but definitely pay attention to the seat map in the last 72 hours.

Bob
I am on UA902 NRT-HNL 777-200 E+ 24 May. (Red eye) booked with miles.

What are the chances that I will get a PP cabin on the aircraft?
Any idea?
Thx in advance.

I want to arrive in HNL in shape as I will be boarding the ANA Turtle return inaugural flight to NRT a couple of hours later. I will take my own food and will skip the meal for more convenience.

Old May 7, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by CDG1

Any idea?
Thx in advance.

I want to arrive in HNL in shape as I will be boarding the ANA Turtle return inaugural flight to NRT a couple of hours later. I will take my own food and will skip the meal for more convenience.

As you know, can ever make any promises, but that’s not a standard route with premium plus. I guess the chances are pretty slim that it would end up on a route like that given that it’s not between a hub.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
I really like the AF product, but I avoid AF like the plague. Too many impromtu work stoppages.
I just flew AF SFO-CDG RT and it was awful. The food was borderline inedible (and they ran out of 2/4 options by the time they got to me on the return). The service was perfunctory at best. The cabins were very tired (though the seat was okay). I would have rather flown UA. I won't be flying them again. And while I know the two of you are talking about PE, that seat gets uniformly horrible reviews.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Diamond
Originally Posted by hscottm

As you know, can ever make any promises, but that’s not a standard route with premium plus. I guess the chances are pretty slim that it would end up on a route like that given that it’s not between a hub.
Current flight in route from NRT to HNL, is a refurbished 777-200, which has Premium Plus. Majority of the 777's flowing through NRT are refurbished. The Dreamliner routes (DEN, and LAX), are the ones which will definitely not have Premium Plus. Other outlier being the GUM flights, which is currently only served via 737-800's from NRT.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by CDG1

Any idea?
Thx in advance.)
The 3-class 772s are being retrofitted, about 2/3s have been converted and today's flight is the new configuration
You will start having a better idea about 2 days out but not for sure until you board.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:07 am

TBH I've never found much utility in foot/leg rests but they're apparently something people enjoy. For me it's about a little more space, a little more service and a little less other people.

AC's PE I've enjoyed a great deal and their pre-clearance process makes my home airport (DCA) an easy sell, especially after UA stripped so many flights out of IAD. Well that and terminal C/D is the most depressing hell hole and i will avoid it as much as possible. For example I'll fly SK this summer out of IAD in PE and know what I'm getting.

Reviewing UA's fit of seats on some aircraft remains a bit of a challenge for me. I don't think E+ was ever worth the money, but it beat the alternative. The naming convention UA is using though is hard on my head.
Silver Fox likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.