FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1940155-premium-plus-premium-economy-seats-experience.html)

mmthomps Apr 20, 2019 5:12 pm

I bought a PE ticket LAX-SFO-FRA for this summer, and put in for an upgrade. I happened to check united.com a few weeks (months?) later, and noted that because of changes in departure times for both LAX-SFO and SFO-FRA, they had rerouted me (through IAD?), on a flight without PE. I am not sure why, since the connection time was the same through SFO, just different arrival/departure times. I called United and told them I wanted my original flights and seats.. The agent fixed it all right then.

And within 24 hours I got an email saying I had been upgraded (to the new Polaris). Would you guess this had anything to do with the mess up with my original routing?

cesco.g Apr 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31020959)
LH and UA fares are the same TATL. They have a JV.

Maybe due to LH offering lower PE booking classes on flights in question ......

halls120 Apr 21, 2019 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31004104)

It's not a nonstop premium, it's a deep discounted SK fare that can only be sold on SK stock. You can't get that fare from UA no matter how stops you're willing to make :D

A nonstop isn’t worth $1100 per person, IMHO.

SFHokie Apr 22, 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 31016481)
This happened to me as well. Just called the 1K line to try to get it back, but was told by the agent that it looks like my upgrade "cleared" (most likely because I was booked into R to begin with. They told me to call MP service center tomorrow when they're open...

The email to 1K voice worked like a charm. I guess I gave them enough information that the GPU was redeposited quite quickly!

elitefreak Apr 23, 2019 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31020959)
LH and UA fares are the same TATL. They have a JV.

That's not at all what I've seen. LH is WAY cheaper.

YUL1941 Apr 24, 2019 8:29 am

Is there a big difference between the Premium Plus seat and the Economy Plus seat (with an empty middle seat) ?
I have an upcoming trip with the following flights: EWR-SFO (Business) and SFO-PVG (Economy Plus), but I could use the same-day change for the following flights instead: EWR-ORD (Economy) and ORD-PVG (Premium Plus seat). Would that be worth it to change to get the Premium Plus seat on the 14h flight to China?

Kacee Apr 24, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by YUL1941 (Post 31032463)
Is there a big difference between the Premium Plus seat and the Economy Plus seat (with an empty middle seat) ?

Not to be snarky, but why do you think you'll get an empty middle in E+?

findark Apr 24, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31032604)

Especially to PVG..

YUL1941 Apr 24, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31032604)

​​​​​​
It's more of an assumption than a guarantee, but on my last 4 trips to China this year with United I always got either an empty middle seat or even an entire row to myself in E+. Also, for my next trip this week, EconomyPlus is about 1/6 full. Maybe I'm just lucky !

Kmxu Apr 24, 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by YUL1941 (Post 31032683)
​​​​​​
It's more of an assumption than a guarantee, but on my last 4 trips to China this year with United I always got either an empty middle seat or even an entire row to myself in E+. Also, for my next trip this week, EconomyPlus is about 1/6 full. Maybe I'm just lucky !

I would do SDC to ORD-PVG in PP if the chance for an empty row of E+ were not good. The late SFO-PVG flight is less full than the earlier one unless you travel on weekends. Good luck.

Brucemcdou Apr 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by YUL1941 (Post 31032463)

For me, a seat that is almost 2 inches wider, with 3 more inches legroom, more recline, a larger IFE screen, with better headphones, better catering and a better cabin location is worth considering. Whether it is worth it for you on a particular flight depends on the cost difference and your budget, including who's paying. I would also compare the difference in cost between PP and Polaris to see if I could go all the way to a lay-flat seat. I have not flown United's PP product yet, but have flown AC PE on long (14 hour) flights to Asia (where I think the hard product is similar) and certainly find it miles better than economy on the same routing.

Also, for those of us who need to be careful to make certain status levels, the extra PQM can help for not that much more especially when I'm spending my own $$.

jsfrSE Apr 27, 2019 4:10 am

United 180 Premium Plus cabin

Hi,
i will be flying tomorrow for the first time In the Premium Plus cabin from Hong Kong to Newark
A few websites mentioned that there is complementary alcoholic beverages in this cabin.
Can anyone tell me if this include other beverages than just wine, for instance, scotch, gin or Champagne?
Thanks.

WineCountryUA Apr 27, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSE (Post 31041985)
...A few websites mentioned that there is complementary alcoholic beverages in this cabin.
Can anyone tell me if this include other beverages than just wine, for instance, scotch, gin or Champagne? ...

Found this note

Originally Posted by under2100 (Post 30975106)
The Points Guy -- United Details Menu, Service Ahead of Premium Plus Launch
Extracted from above article:
"... United’s providing our first glimpse ... in the form of an email to in-flight crew members......United also provided some instructions to flight attendants, along with tips from crew members who participated in a test flight. Some notable details include:
  • Beer, wine (187ml bottles — about two glasses) and spirits will be available free of charge

The full quote is in the original posting and the wiki

elitefreak Apr 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSE (Post 31041985)
Hi,
i will be flying tomorrow for the first time In the Premium Plus cabin from Hong Kong to Newark
A few websites mentioned that there is complementary alcoholic beverages in this cabin.
Can anyone tell me if this include other beverages than just wine, for instance, scotch, gin or Champagne?
Thanks.

Yes, the full bar from the cart. I had Buffalo Chase (twice) plus two glasses of wine. NOTE that you are also entitled to the half bottles of premium wine; they may try to pour your wine from the full bottle that Y gets. Ask for the half bottle premium instead.

mauld May 3, 2019 10:20 am

I'm doing a quick MR ($291 r/t) next week EWR-LAX, outbound on a 787-10 and was able to get 21 J in PP. As Gold, I was able to easily select the PP seat at no extra cost, does that mean it "may be taken away from me" to upgrade a higher level passenger prior to my flight ? And assuming I do get to keep it, will I be served breakfast or should I bring my own? (My return is on a 752 - 10D)