Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:35 am

yes, the 787-10
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SFHokie

• Service
  • Drinks & nuts at 25 mins after departure
  • Trash about 10 mins after
  • Meal delivered 55 mins into flight, cleaned up 20-25 mins after serving
  • FA named Emerald was quite nice and chatted me up about Beijing for a little while
  • Dessert about 10 mins after clean-up
  • Halfway through flight, sandwiches and another drink service was given.
  • At least 4 times water was offered
  • Breakfast and drinks served 90 mins before scheduled landing
  • Landing cards handed out before landing for all pax
I was laughing to myself as I read this because I rarely get this level of service in Polaris on my frequent flights to Japan. I often have to get up and go to the galley to get drink refills!
BlueSky72 and MrGood like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I was laughing to myself as I read this because I rarely get this level of service in Polaris on my frequent flights to Japan. I often have to get up and go to the galley to get drink refills!
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I seem to get pretty decent service regardless of the cabin I'm in. But yeah, the doors seem to be less frequent drink refills in J after the lights go out.

​​
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Any thoughts of ANA Premium Economy vs. United Premium Plus? Right now they are equally convenient and similarly priced... I enjoyed ANA premium economy in the past (nice alcohol selection, nice lounges, fine legroom in the bulkhead :P) But the 1.5x PQM might be convincing enough to switch to United?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by under2100
Is this what you're looking for?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-premium-plus-menu/

Extracted from above article:
"... United’s providing our first glimpse ... in the form of an email to in-flight crew members......United also provided some instructions to flight attendants, along with tips from crew members who participated in a test flight. Some notable details include:
  • Menus (like the one above) will be placed at each seat
  • Pre-departure water may be served in a blue cup, time permitting
  • Almonds will be served alongside a choice of beverage after takeoff
  • The main meal will include a choice of two entrees, plus a salad, bread, ice cream and a cookie
  • Beer, wine (187ml bottles — about two glasses) and spirits will be available free of charge
  • Entrees and salads may arrive with a lid (it may not be removed, as it is in business class)
  • Meal orders will not be prioritized based on status
  • A customer may choose a standard economy meal instead, if they prefer
  • The pre-arrival meal will include a choice of two entrees as well, plus various side dishes, a biscotti and croissant
..."
YES!!!! Thanks for finding it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by wanderluststruck
Thanks a lot for your review! What was your experience with IFE? Was the pull out screen still bigger than the E+ BH ones? Did it interfere with your seat comfort at all? Anything else you've noticed?
The pullup screen in bulkhead is quite generous and I had no issue watching two movies on it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:35 am

My return PP flight; service already suffering . . .

ORIGINAL ITINERARY: UA56 CDG-EWR 10 April PP

So I'm eating dinner the night before my AM flight from Paris back to EWR (PP flight #2 for me) and I get the dreaded text that my aircraft has changed. Of course, this means that I have now been dumped from PP to E+. Not happy.

After some time on the line with UA, I managed to get them to route me CDG-FRA-EWR on a PP equipped 787. I was first relegated to the center bulkhead seat 20E but managed to switch eventually to 20C.

NEW ITINERARY: UA961 FRA-EWR 10 April PP

So it's only been a week or so since I flew on Day 1, and already service has been "Unitedized".

I can work off the FA guidelines list (that was finally found, thanks) to make my points:

Menus (like the one above) will be placed at each seat CHECK
  • Pre-departure water may be served in a blue cup, time permitting WE HAD A GROUND DELAY WITH SECURITY ISSUES. THERE WAS PLENTY OF TIME TO PASS AROUND WATER. NOBODY MADE AN EFFORT.
  • Almonds will be served alongside a choice of beverage after takeoff DIDN'T GET BEVERAGE SERVICE. EVERYTHING WAS DUMPED ON US ALL AT ONCE. WE WERE ONLY DELAYED AROUND 45 MIN SO THERE WAS NO REASON TO DO THIS. OH, AND THEY NEVER GAVE US NUTS, EVEN WHEN THEY DUMPED EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE
The main meal will include a choice of two entrees, plus a salad, bread, ice cream and a cookie EVEN THE ICE CREAM WAS SERVED AT THIS POINT. NO COOKIE BUT THE POLARIS CHOCOLATE BOX INSTEAD.
  • Beer, wine (187ml bottles — about two glasses) and spirits will be available free of charge NOTE THAT IF YOU ASK FOR WHITE OR RED WINE, THEY WILL LIKELY GRAB THE FULL BOTTLE THAT THEY ALSO USE FOR Y. YOU WILL HAVE TO ASK FOR THE PREMIUM HALF BOTTLES. BUT THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A TON OF THOSE.
  • Entrees and salads may arrive with a lid (it may not be removed, as it is in business class) SALAD HAD IT'S PLASTIC LID ON (LAST FLIGHT REMOVED). ENTREE HAD THE FOIL, OF COURSE (AND THEN YOU HAVE TO CAREFULLY TAKE IT OFF, NOT LET IT DRIP ON YOU, CRUMBLE IT UP, FIND A PLACE ON AN ALREADY PACKED TRAY TO STASH IT.

As for the meal, I actually enjoyed the mushroom stuffed chicken breast. It was substantial and satisfying.

The arrival meal was a poor version of Ellio's pizza:

So who is in charge on UA flights? Are the FA's automatically allowed to freeform service? Shouldn't the Purser be in charge of some quality control?

This seems like a fundamental problem for UA in all premium classes. The design is great but execution always suffers/deteriorates.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why are you shouting?
rmannion, JHake10, SFHokie and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
It’s also in that wish washy language in the guidance: “water MAY be served...., unless time prohibits”
Why not say: “Water to be served pre-departure, unless time prohibits”
Same general meaning but more prescriptive so FAs less likely to totally disregard when they feel like it.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BlueSky72
It’s also in that wish washy language in the guidance: “water MAY be served...., unless time prohibits”
Why not say: “Water to be served pre-departure, unless time prohibits”
Same general meaning but more prescriptive so FAs less likely to totally disregard when they feel like it.
Asking the Y FAs to provide extra service in P+ is a near-guaranteed fail. UA is understaffing its flights to provide any kind of service in Y beyond the bare essentials. If flying P+, reduce expectations accordingly. It's really just about the seat and extra space. Plus I think you get a nicer pillow and blanket
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why are you shouting?
I stopped reading tbh.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I just noticed that the GPU I applied to my "R" fare (purchased Premium Plus seat) to move from PP to J was never returned to my account after the upgrade failed. Anyone else notice this?

I sent an email to United and am waiting to hear back from what they have to say.

Also of interest, I remember my itinerary saying "(PZ) class requested" (I think that was the message) up until I checked-in for the flight instead of "Upgrade requested". It looked like a lot of people were getting upgraded into business class the week leading up to the flight -- or they were buying last minute business fares in droves at $4000 a piece -- yet I never made it higher on the upgrade list than #4 (on an "R" fare, which is higher than all Y fares but less than "O" and "A" fares). Sad times.

Hopefully 1K Voice can fix this for me easily.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
I stopped reading tbh.
No you didn't
elitefreak, SFHokie and cuthroat like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by SFHokie
It looked like a lot of people were getting upgraded into business class the week leading up to the flight
Did you see PN opening in bunches of 1 or 2? That's what they do when they're clearing GS off the waitlist.

And large numbers of last minute J sales are not uncommon. The corporate customers are not paying full price.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why are you shouting?
Please . . I was trying to differentiate the handbook from my comments.
cuthroat likes this.

Last edited by elitefreak; Apr 12, 2019 at 9:18 pm Reason: edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.