Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Sorry, could either of you link or quote that post? I can't find it either.
Originally Posted by EWR764
I second that... still can't find it.
Is this what you're looking for?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-premium-plus-menu/

Extracted from above article:
"... United’s providing our first glimpse ... in the form of an email to in-flight crew members......United also provided some instructions to flight attendants, along with tips from crew members who participated in a test flight. Some notable details include:
  • Menus (like the one above) will be placed at each seat
  • Pre-departure water may be served in a blue cup, time permitting
  • Almonds will be served alongside a choice of beverage after takeoff
  • The main meal will include a choice of two entrees, plus a salad, bread, ice cream and a cookie
  • Beer, wine (187ml bottles — about two glasses) and spirits will be available free of charge
  • Entrees and salads may arrive with a lid (it may not be removed, as it is in business class)
  • Meal orders will not be prioritized based on status
  • A customer may choose a standard economy meal instead, if they prefer
  • The pre-arrival meal will include a choice of two entrees as well, plus various side dishes, a biscotti and croissant
..."
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jmastron
I flew a 15 hour flight in Premier Plus on a 777-300ER yesterday, and some observations...
I enjoyed the flight and would seek out PP again. I wouldn't take a middle seat in PP over an aisle in E+, and an aisle in E+ with an empty seat next to it (in a row with raisable armrests) might be slightly better than a PP seat with or without an empty -- but since there's no guarantee it will remain empty I'd choose the PP seat.
I completely agree with this assessment. E+ aisle is better than a middle PP. Just sat in middle PP FRA-SFO and wished I had stayed in my E+ aisle.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Trip report: UA #888 SFO-PEK in PP

I just got finished with my first PP flight on United. All-in-all I'd say my experience was much better than TPGs trip report that was posted last week. The seat was nice, the extra seat width was way better than E+ and Y for such a long trip. Legroom in row 20 is fantastic. The experience felt a bit more premium than regular economy but definitely not business class "lite". I'd be hesitant to use a GPU on this experience unless there's a good chance I'd also wind up in Business (ie, mostly empty flight in premium cabins). I'd probably not pay more than $20-25/flight hour for the seat on top of what a regular economy ticket costs.
Boarding
  • Very busy, FAs were a bit disorganized
  • Blanket, slippers, pillow, menu, and biz class headphones + business class amenities kit waiting on the seats
  • Small bottle of water (251ml, 8.5oz) handed out/placed on center console

Seat 20G
  • Feels tight during boarding with people constantly bumping you
  • Ample leg room to cross legs w/o touching the bulkhead (I'm about 6' tall)
  • Nice sized pouch that can hold a small laptop or tablet plus section for magazines
  • Rows 21 and 22 have half as much legroom
  • Plenty of overhead bin space for all PP pax
  • Comfortable seat for the most part.

Food and beverage
  • Appetizer was package of almonds 0.63oz/18
  • Wine and cocktails served in blue plastic cups for all drink service, except dinner as the tray has a domestic USA F wine glass on it
  • Main meal
    • Buffalo chicken Mac and cheese was slightly spicy, definitely cheesy. The chicken seemed a bit weird with the spices added to it (seemed more Italian than anything)
    • Salad and dressing were satisfying
    • Roll needed to be heated on top of foil wrapped main dish (maybe that's why the foil is left on the meal?!)
    • Cookie was good but tasted sweet, sugary
    • Sorbet for dessert (didn't try)
  • Sandwiches were not tried (wasn't hungry)
  • Breakfast choice was the eggs or cereal. Regular economy had a different choice of scrambled eggs or French toast
    • The scrambled eggs Benedict were .. Interesting. Good to see a change from the usual omlette, but I wouldn't say it was something I'd choose again (unless cereal is the only other option)
  • All meals served on Polaris-like plates and bowls
Service
  • Drinks & nuts at 25 mins after departure
  • Trash about 10 mins after
  • Meal delivered 55 mins into flight, cleaned up 20-25 mins after serving
  • FA named Emerald was quite nice and chatted me up about Beijing for a little while
  • Dessert about 10 mins after clean-up
  • Halfway through flight, sandwiches and another drink service was given.
  • At least 4 times water was offered
  • Breakfast and drinks served 90 mins before scheduled landing
  • Landing cards handed out before landing for all pax
Editing to include food pics.

Last edited by SFHokie; Apr 8, 2019 at 5:50 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:06 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SFHokie
I just got finished with my first PP flight on United.
Was the cabin served by F/As from J or from Y? I swear I read someplace that it would be served by J, but can't find that anyplace now. One of the TPG bloggers said he was served by a Y F/A and just trying to see if that is consistent.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Was the cabin served by F/As from J or from Y? I swear I read someplace that it would be served by J, but can't find that anyplace now. One of the TPG bloggers said he was served by a Y F/A and just trying to see if that is consistent.
I posted upthread that when I was in PP during pre-PP service, someone asked the FA and was told J class FAs were to serve PP. apparently the FA was incorrect based on reports.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: United Premier Plat
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Seat 20G.
Thanks a lot for your review! What was your experience with IFE? Was the pull out screen still bigger than the E+ BH ones? Did it interfere with your seat comfort at all? Anything else you've noticed?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by wanderluststruck
Thanks a lot for your review! What was your experience with IFE? Was the pull out screen still bigger than the E+ BH ones? Did it interfere with your seat comfort at all? Anything else you've noticed?
The bulkhead IFE is a few inches smaller than ones attached to the back of your seat, but is still larger than economy.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by vaguba
The bulkhead IFE is a few inches smaller than ones attached to the back of your seat, but is still larger than economy.
yeah, I saw that they were about 2 inches smaller on the TPG review. Was trying to see if sitting in BH for extra room was justifiable for smaller IFE screen on my upcoming PP exp
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:08 pm

yeah, I saw that they were about 2 inches smaller on the TPG review. Was trying to see if sitting in BH for extra room was justifiable for smaller IFE screen on my upcoming PP exp
If you choose BH, choose AB or KL because of the massive legroom>screen size. Legroom in DEFG is also massive but turns into a walkway between the two aisles. Super annoying.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:22 pm

I did it with absolutely no regrets. The amount of legroom for row 20 is insane.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by 1984SW
FAs were from Y, not J. Which helped add to some confusion over what means in PP would be served as they're different than in Y.

It's bigger than I expected. I didn't pay close attention to the seat back IFE for rows 21 and 22 so I cannot directly compare.

The screen wasn't an issue when it was stored. The amount of space used up by it around my ankles bothered me for all of 0.05% of the trip.

It was very responsive to touch and easy to use. Very similar to the 787 IFE. My own single plug headphones could be used instead of a dual prong one. Though some acrobatics need to be performed to get the plug into the hole as it's way behind your elbow in the compartment with the electrical outlet.

I do like how the headphones cord does not cross in front of my body or my seat as this makes it easier for getting up and walking around or having someone trying to get our who's seated next to you if you've got the aisle seat.

Speaking of which, I should so say the bulkhead rows had enough room for the middle seat to get up and walk around without having me to do anything with the IFE screen if it was fully deployed.ots of leg room!
wpcoe and narvik like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by vaguba
I did it with absolutely no regrets. The amount of legroom for row 20 is insane.
Totally agree with this suggestion! Except you do run the risk of bassenettes needing to go there...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:06 am

Y'all have convinced me - I will keep my 20A seat!!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:38 am

Any issue with queuing up for the restrooms when sitting in Row 20? currently have 21A/B for EWR/FRA for a June trip. 20A/B are still available. But I hate people standing with their butts in my face or staring at me.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by InfrequentFlyer2018
Any issue with queuing up for the restrooms when sitting in Row 20? currently have 21A/B for EWR/FRA for a June trip. 20A/B are still available. But I hate people standing with their butts in my face or staring at me.
Which aircraft are you talking about? The 781 is the only one with lavs in front of row 20, and those are J lavs, separated by a curtain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.