Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I just flew AC PE, which has dividers. I was in the bulkhead, but didn't mind it as the 789 has OH bins large enough to stack my suitcase and backpack. I've also flown LH PE without dividers. Much prefer having dividers.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just flew AA and there was no divider.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
On LH, it depends on the aircraft. Some have a fully separate section for PE and some do not. The 744s have several rows of Y in the same section as PE with no divider. I think that, when possible, they tried to keep the PE section in a separate section, but also didn't go our of their way to add dividers. It will be interesting to see if UA adds dividers to all of their planes. Having a divider that takes away an overhead bin is just plain stupid.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My impression with the PE seats on the 777 was that even though they were 2-4-2, with the comparatively large amount of space devoted to arm rests, tray tables and storage, it made the seats feel not much wider than a Y seat on many other a/c. The thigh support for a tall person, especially when reclining, was better than a standard economy and even some domestic F seats.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
My impression with the PE seats on the 777 was that even though they were 2-4-2, with the comparatively large amount of space devoted to arm rests, tray tables and storage, it made the seats feel not much wider than a Y seat on many other a/c.
The IPTE J seats on that aircraft in 2-4-2 are only 18.8" wide.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Two immediate thoughts on this.

First, why put a divider in at all? You lose the overhead bin, and you cut the leg room for the E+ seat immediately behind it. It's not at all uncommon to have a soft, or no, division between PE and E.
At most the divider should go up only to the bottom of the OHB. They could also take a page from ANA, which uses soft dividers for that little triangle portion that are attached to the bin (on the 787 at least), so close off the space when the bin is closed, but allow it to open.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I find the lack of toilets really annoying in PP/E+/E. There is no way that 4 are even close to enough. I never used to like to walk through to business/Polaris to use theirs but now I have no qualms about it if I need to go.
Yeah, it was bad enough before when they had just E/E+ that there were only 4 economy lavs especially for the long Asia flights. Now they've added a bunch of additional seats but the same lav ratio.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
These seats look pretty uncomfortable...also surprised that they're not in "shells" like Air France and some others.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/busine...d-your-dollar/
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just flew SFO-IAD and was able to snag a Premium+ seat right at boarding. Seat is comfy, didn't think it was too hard. The leg rest and foot rest are a bit awkward - not enough room to use both. Screen is nice and crisp and the touchscreen and remote are responsive. The placement of the headphone jack and power outlet are also a bit awkward. Have to contort yourself to use them. It's a nice seat for daytime flights at least - not sure how comfy it will be for sleeping.
Zip, narvik, Kmxu and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hughw
These seats look pretty uncomfortable...also surprised that they're not in "shells" like Air France and some others.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/busine...d-your-dollar/
Based on every review I've ever seen, it's a good thing UA did not copy the pretty much universally disliked AF PE seat.

While I haven't tried it yet (and actually hope not to), sounds like one of the better PE seats out there.
MatthewLAX and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by smxflyer
... not sure how comfy it will be for sleeping.
Looks like I will be giving a review after my flight on Thursday (SFO-LHR), unless the UG comes through...fingers crossed (on the UG), but I am currently in the window bulkhead seat.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:03 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tabby Dowling
I'm glad more airlines are doing actual areas for this. Never fly premium with Delta. I did one time thinking it'd be nice. Hell no. Me and my daughter were just in normal seats with more leg room. We didn't even get any of the perks that are supposed to come with premium. It was a waste of money. Make sure with any airline including United that you are 100% sure you're going to get premium seating and not just normal seats with more leg room.
Be careful what you’re booking/buying into. What you describe sounds like Delta’s Comfort Plus...Which, as far as the seat goes, is indeed just more legroom, much like United’s Economy Plus (neither of which is a separate cabin)...It is not marketed as nor is it in reality, a Premium Economy. They do have a comparable product to United’s Premium Plus being described here, and that’s Premium Select, which offers a wider seat and footrest in a separate cabin.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Be careful what you’re booking/buying into. What you describe sounds like Delta’s Comfort Plus...Which, as far as the seat goes, is indeed just more legroom, much like United’s Economy Plus (neither of which is a separate cabin)...It is not marketed as nor is it in reality, a Premium Economy. They do have a comparable product to United’s Premium Plus being described here, and that’s Premium Select, which offers a wider seat and footrest in a separate cabin.
And this is the problem with adding more Economy classes; it inherently breeds confusion.
Customers are going to be invariably disappointed unless it is crystal-clear what they are buying. We now have BE, E, E+ and P+. To an infrequent flyer, that is too many choices, and they are further confused by the benefits/limitations of each class.

My opinion is that this experiment will fail.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 14, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zombietooth
My opinion is that this experiment will fail.
Why should it? I have flown Premium Economy on BA since the early 2000's and it still exists.

For me, it's not too soon that UA puts a Premium Economy. I'm not in the lucky position that my employer pays Business Class for my international long hauls so I have to pay the difference between the Economy fare and the Business Class fare (or upgrade with instruments or take a TOD but those are never guaranteed to be available). I'd rather pay the difference between the Economy fare and the Premium Economy fare as from my experience flying on BA, I know that I arrive in good shape at my destination when I fly Premium Economy.
IntVic and k_jupiter like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Why should it? I have flown Premium Economy on BA since the early 2000's and it still exists.

For me, it's not too soon that UA puts a Premium Economy. I'm not in the lucky position that my employer pays Business Class for my international long hauls so I have to pay the difference between the Economy fare and the Business Class fare (or upgrade with instruments or take a TOD but those are never guaranteed to be available). I'd rather pay the difference between the Economy fare and the Premium Economy fare as from my experience flying on BA, I know that I arrive in good shape at my destination when I fly Premium Economy.
Pardon me for not knowing this, but does BA have 4 economy classes?

UA is already marketing E+ as, "more comfort and greater legroom". Customers have learned that and paid for E+ subscriptions or up charges. Now, they will be marketing an "even better economy plus" and I just don't think that its going to catch-on, especially since it's going to cost double.

I fly on my own dime and would likely never buy this product-but I know how uncomfortable the new seats are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.