Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
It’s really not economy class food. It’s domestic first class food.
Definitely. When compared to AA and BA, this is competitive. I am glad they did not take the LH approach of Y food on china.

Considering my last Polaris flight's food (merely OK), this is not some *huge* step down either from that, IMO of course.
MatthewLAX and MrGood like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:49 am

I hope you are right because a week ago the Y class menu was exactly like the one posted except the salad was regular and no dessert on the tray other than the ice cream given at the end of service. All else looks exactly the same.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by myperks

I hope you are right because a week ago the Y class menu was exactly like the one posted except the salad was regular and no dessert on the tray other than the ice cream given at the end of service. All else looks exactly the same.
Trust me!

Since when has United served chicken katsu in economy class?

Anyway, I have crew pictures of the meals...I wish I had permission to post them here.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM

A.k.a. Polaris Business Class food
airb330, findark and MrGood like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:46 am

Trust me!

Since when has United served chicken katsu in economy class?

Anyway, I have crew pictures of the meals...I wish I had permission to post them here.
never seen katsu in UA economy but the other menu with the chicken and ravioli choices are very familiar sights on the SFO-Europe flights (maybe slightly different sauces).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
never seen katsu in UA economy but the other menu with the chicken and ravioli choices are very familiar sights on the SFO-Europe flights (maybe slightly different sauces).
They are also virtually identical to premium t-con business class menu items. How many ways can you say "chicken or pasta?"
findark and maverickar15 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
The meal photo, linked to above, is a vast improvement over what UA offered in Y a few days ago TPE-SFO. Choices were pasta or pork and rice, which was mainly rice, and a smaller portion. There was a small salad, no salad dressing, and a small roll, with butter and no jam. Small ice cream. 11 hour flight. No chicken choice.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Red face

Originally Posted by Kacee
They are also virtually identical to premium t-con business class menu items. How many ways can you say "chicken or pasta?"
"Do you want chicken?"
"Do you want rice pilaf?"
"Do you want rice with chicken?"
"Do you want chicken with rice?"
"Do you want fried rice with chicken?"
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Today!

Flying in the PP seat today to BOM & excited - hopefully they use this flight to try out the real PP meals etc.
airb330 and SFHokie like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:08 pm

In my HKG-SFO reservation, there is a line "Enjoy the added benefits of United Premium Plus." $325. Clicking on the "Learn More" link takes me to the reservation summary.
The same thing happens when I click on an available PP seat (via the "change seat" link in my reservation). Hovering over an available seat displays "...Select to view upgrade options and pricing". Clicking on that takes me back to the reservation summary as well. No offer there.
Is that a bug? A fake upsell offer?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
In my HKG-SFO reservation, there is a line "Enjoy the added benefits of United Premium Plus." $325. Clicking on the "Learn More" link takes me to the reservation summary.
The same thing happens when I click on an available PP seat (via the "change seat" link in my reservation). Hovering over an available seat displays "...Select to view upgrade options and pricing". Clicking on that takes me back to the reservation summary as well. No offer there.
Is that a bug? A fake upsell offer?
Growing pains? first report of this type of offer.
Call and ask for Web Support, they "should" honor the offer.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
It looks like coach class (undrinkable) wine will be offered given the generic "white" and "red" wines listed on the menus. If so, that's highly disappointing.
I swear the amount of exaggeration in drink discussions here is amazing.

I see plenty of people drinking those "undrinkable" wines in international Y every time I fly. Which tells me they are probably drinkable. MANY cheap wines are.

If you want fine wine, there are literally hundreds of thousands of establishments worldwide that will sell it to you. On an airplane, in economy class (including PE), you are going to get cheap wine, which a lot of people who are not characters out of the movie "Sideways" enjoy just fine. It is not a crime against nature.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I swear the amount of exaggeration in drink discussions here is amazing.

I see plenty of people drinking those "undrinkable" wines in international Y every time I fly. Which tells me they are probably drinkable. MANY cheap wines are.

If you want fine wine, there are literally hundreds of thousands of establishments worldwide that will sell it to you. On an airplane, in economy class (including PE), you are going to get cheap wine, which a lot of people who are not characters out of the movie "Sideways" enjoy just fine. It is not a crime against nature.
This is what Delta serves in Premium Economy. It's still "cheap" wine but is usually drinkable, as are many wines indeed. For me, the wine in the minibottles is so bad, I won't drink it.

If anyone has even a small appreciation for wine, they won't enjoy the vast majority of the mini bottles that airlines serve. I enjoy wine with my meals and am simply expressing my hope that United includes full bottle service, with the pretense that there's a better chance of being served a better wine. Many foreign airlines offer bottled wine in coach, so this is really not hoping for that much.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:06 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
If the Premium Plus meals are going to be prepared and served by J F/As, how does that bode for service levels in J where a F/A was recently removed? There have been reports of service being rushed and disorganized already, with those F/As only serving J. Throw in Premium Plus to their workload and what will it be like?
Kannai likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Bottle wine in economy, PVG-SFO

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I enjoy wine with my meals and am simply expressing my hope that United includes full bottle service, with the pretense that there's a better chance of being served a better wine. Many foreign airlines offer bottled wine in coach, so this is really not hoping for that much.
I recently had full bottle wine served on some UA international routes in economy cabin, such as PVG-SFO. It was drinkable. That does not say much because I can tolerate some small-bottle wines, too. I just need to wash down the economy cabin meals served by UA.
Happy travel.
FlytheTail likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.