Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I fly SBA to SLC about 40 times per year. I have liked AAs schedule until now and had found far fewer delays due to weather using that routing.
For SBA-SLC, UA has 2½ routing options (connections via SFO and LAX being the practical options and via DEN the not so much). SFO's dependability is highly variable. LAX only has two nonstops to SLC, and I presume the only realistic outbound option from SBA via LAX for your is the 5:50 am departure. Not ideal. Even still, despite some travel times reaching 6 hours, UA offers more scheduling flexibility.
2. For maintaining status I’ve got a PQD question. I do have the United Club Card. I understand there is a PQD waiver with $25k spend. What status level does that work for? If not the higher levels, does it credit a certain PQD amount towards the higher levels(like AAs Silver Aviator Card does)?

$25K spend on the Explorer card gets you UA Platinum (equivalent of AA Plat Pro) and NO HIGHER. You can only attain 1K through UA (016) ticket spend + BIS miles/segments. You'll need to fly more than 40 SBA-SLC roundtrips to qualify for 1K, or otherwise add a transcon trip or two to reach 100,000 BIS miles.

For you, I personally would be inclined to stay with AA. However, it doesn't hurt to try out UA's schedule during the rainy season (although this winter is shaping out to be a real dud, which would mean good reliability for SFO) and see how it works out. Good luck.
PVDProf likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
For SBA-SLC, UA has 2½ routing options (connections via SFO and LAX being the practical options and via DEN the not so much). SFO's dependability is highly variable. LAX only has two nonstops to SLC, and I presume the only realistic outbound option from SBA via LAX for your is the 5:50 am departure. Not ideal. Even still, despite some travel times reaching 6 hours, UA offers more scheduling flexibility.
$25K spend on the Explorer card gets you UA Platinum (equivalent of AA Plat Pro) and NO HIGHER. You can only attain 1K through UA (016) ticket spend + BIS miles/segments. You'll need to fly more than 40 SBA-SLC roundtrips to qualify for 1K, or otherwise add a transcon trip or two to reach 100,000 BIS miles.

For you, I personally would be inclined to stay with AA. However, it doesn't hurt to try out UA's schedule during the rainy season (although this winter is shaping out to be a real dud, which would mean good reliability for SFO) and see how it works out. Good luck.
I occasionally fly United although more a few years back when didn’t have as high of a status through AA. United’s options are pretty good for when I travel that route. I realize I’d need more than the SBA to SLC routing to get to 1K, I do some transcons once or twice and Europe once at least and the occasional mileage run if needed. Nothing’s ideal from SBA and I’m fully aware of SFOs unreliability, been cancelled a fair amount and ended up on AA through PHX anyway a few times(or LAX). Too bad as the Centurion lounge is sure better than anything else I typically get.

Probably stupid to change but after having three cancelled flights in a row in Oahu, missing three days work, and getting 15k miles compensation from them as plat pro(cusp of EXP) just doesn’t sit right with me.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
... after having three cancelled flights in a row in Oahu, missing three days work, and getting 15k miles compensation from them as plat pro(cusp of EXP) just doesn’t sit right with me.
Ouch. That'll make me switch, too. And too bad that DL isn't an option. It would have been a no-brainer.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
$25K spend on the Explorer card gets you UA Platinum (equivalent of AA Plat Pro) and NO HIGHER. You can only attain 1K through UA (016) ticket spend + BIS miles/segments. You'll need to fly more than 40 SBA-SLC roundtrips to qualify for 1K, or otherwise add a transcon trip or two to reach 100,000 BIS miles
Good points there. And note that for 1K the PQD spend requirement for next year’s qualification is going up to $15,000 from $12,000. UA has seen a huge increase in the number of 1Ks recently, likely due to the cheap-ish non-refundable P fares on domestic F and long haul J. So they need to cut the numbers by raising the threshold (and cutting the P fare PQM bonus to 150% from 200%).

I’m making 1K comfortably this year, but I’m not so sure about next year. I’ll probably be okay. But factor in those new requirements.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:40 am

The grass is always greener on the other side. Both AA and UA are bottom of the barrel.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I’d fly whoever has the best schedule for you. I tried to make DL work for me last year from SFO and had a couple disastrous experiences.
SFHokie likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
There's no where to "go to" anymore. It's late 2018 and the remaining consolidated airlines have you grabbing your ankles as cash is king and all airline's FFP's are a mere shell of their past. The old days are gone, moving to another will yield nothing positive.
The grass is now browner at every airline.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Better yet: become a free agent where you fly whichever airlines gives you the best schedule for the best price. I find myself enjoying free agency after years of being loyal to AA.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
@Jonesdds I think you're going to have similar issues with UA, so maybe fly with them a couple times and form your own conclusions. I tend to fly a couple UA flights throughout the year and they're generally the same as AA. I do find that UA tends to be more consistent in soft product where AA is more of a mixed bag (I still can't figure out why it's 50-50 chance whether if I'll get a pre-departure beverage in the first class cabin on AA).
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
I’d fly whoever has the best schedule for you. I tried to make DL work for me last year from SFO and had a couple disastrous experiences.
That's sort of why I am still with UA. They go where I need to and I am LT Gold so that keeps pulling me back a bit. But the recent AS merger with new routes and schedules has made them more attractive to me now.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
@Jonesdds(I still can't figure out why it's 50-50 chance whether if I'll get a pre-departure beverage in the first class cabin on AA).
I was 0/2 on UA/UX SEA-IAH-CHS today. Nothing at all for PDB either segment with the first mainline and second on Mesa. They are all consistently inconsistent.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Will be EXP with AA but I’ve really soured to AA lately. Too many mechanical issues, poor customer service, and they’ve messed with the times of the ideal routes I take too much. Maybe United will be no different but I feel I may need to try.

I fly SBA to SLC about 40 times per year. I have liked AAs schedule until now and had found far fewer delays due to weather using that routing. Unfortunately mechanical delays have got in the way lately. When I compare pricing, United seems it would save me some bucks. My problem is having top tier status on any airline is hard to just throw away.

Ive got a few questions for now:

1. I did some kind of promo status challenge few years ago before deciding to go with AA. Would United do a status match for me? Or a challenge at least? I was thinking summer or early fall, would this timing potentially get me status through 2020? Could I match to 1K?

2. For maintaining status I’ve got a PQD question. I do have the United Club Card. I understand there is a PQD waiver with $25k spend. What status level does that work for? If not the higher levels, does it credit a certain PQD amount towards the higher levels(like AAs Silver Aviator Card does)?

thanks in advance

I just got my 'Thank You' for being a Mileage Plus member for 27 years message! I've flown UA from when they served caviar and Dom through Summer from Hell, 9/11, bankruptcy and botched CO merger. I don't fly American much but I can agree with others that United is finally on an upswing. In the end, if the carrier flies the routes you need, and UA is a contender, I wouldn't have many qualms making the switch. Happy travels!

Adam
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:10 am

Ouch. That'll make me switch, too. And too bad that DL isn't an option. It would have been a no-brainer.

DL is not always a great choice either.

1. Their fares are consistently higher in many markets. While a fairly good airline, they charge a premium for their product.
2. They have less seats for premium customers. Less economy Comfort and less first class seats. they also monetize them more heavily.
3. They do not treat traveling companions well. The upgrades and what not are limited to one person. So if you travel with a family or multiple friends you sit in economy dis-comfort.

I switched from DL to UA because of point 3 and schedule alone. Other than that they were a fine airline, and I still fly them enough to keep status in case they work again.

In this case i would stay with the devil I know. Switching was a pain and really the differences between airlines are so minor that barring ULCC choices they are essentially the same.
enviroian likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by leonidas
The grass is always greener on the other side. Both AA and UA are bottom of the barrel.
Both might be, but UA is, IMHO, part of a much better alliance (Star) than AA (One World). And definitely better than Sky(Loosing)Team!!!

I also think that MileagePlus is a much better FF program than AA's and DL's, but then again, being GS so many years definitely creates a strong bias!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I enjoy UA overall and Star Alliance rocks. DL is over-rated unless you love TV screens, I cant stand DL. Skyteam is a joke and DL is the worst airline for premium anything for International Travel.

The big downside to UA is the upgrades. I travel only on near Full fare E tickets and have zero upgrades as a 1K on flights over 2 hours. I only travel mid week though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.