FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Air Wisconsin (United Express Carrier) Flight Attendants Authorize Strike (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1939942-air-wisconsin-united-express-carrier-flight-attendants-authorize-strike.html)

ual744777sta Nov 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Air Wisconsin (United Express Carrier) Flight Attendants Authorize Strike

United Express Flight Attendants Authorize a Strike

Washington, D.C. (November 8, 2018) — Air Wisconsin Flight Attendants, represented by the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA), today voted 99 percent to authorize a strike. Air Wisconsin provides regional air service for United Airlines.

For more details click here. I'm not an expert but it looks like this is just forcing everyone to the table. But the AFA is implementing CHAOS which could lead to delays on United Express flights operated by Air Wisconsin.

rch4u Nov 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Could lead to EVEN more delays ... Air Wisconsin’s operational performance is atrocious.

fumje Nov 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Does this mean fewer CR2's on the schedule for the time being?

^ ^

mellon Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 30416507)
Could lead to EVEN more delays ... Air Wisconsin’s operational performance is atrocious.

actually a strike might improve the delays, because I cant imagine they could get worse.

ord1027 Nov 10, 2018 10:37 pm

I have some holiday travel booked on them and was wondering if I need to make contingency plans?

Travelling from ORD-GSP on 12/22

fastair Nov 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by ord1027 (Post 30417067)
I have some holiday travel booked on them and was wondering if I need to make contingency plans?

Travelling from ORD-GSP on 12/22

no, the railway labor act makes striking in covered industries in the US fairly difficult to do and it takes months (or years) to get to that point. An empasse must be declared (usually by a mediator) then a month cool off period, and only then, if none including 2 separate govt branches step in, can a strike occur. And IMHO, a strike by air Wisconsin would have a strong probability of unemploying 100% of their employees, something I doubt they’d want to happen

Lampsaw Nov 11, 2018 10:42 am

United Express dba Air Wisconsin Chaos Strike?

Hi all,
Slightly confused air traveler here. I just read that united express dba air Wisconsin is in process of doing a “ chaos” flight attendant strike, basically showing or not showing for a flight.

Im taking a crj175 ( Skywest) from GEG-SFO early December, will I be affected by this?

How many different regional airlines fly as United Express?
thanks

mduell Nov 11, 2018 11:52 am

Skywest is not Air Wisconsin, so no.

LarryJ Nov 11, 2018 12:43 pm

FWIW, it is Air Wisconsin dba United Express, not the other way around.

Under the Railway Labor Act, a work group can not engage in a job action, and an airline can not impose work rules or engage in a lock-out, until the NMB declares an impasse and a 30-day cooling off period expires. The strike vote comes many months, often a year or more, prior to it reaching this point. The strike vote, while a required part of the RLA process, is done now to be used as leverage in continuing negotiations.

mduell Nov 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 30418592)
Under the Railway Labor Act, a work group can not engage in a job action, and an airline can not impose work rules or engage in a lock-out, until the NMB declares an impasse and a 30-day cooling off period expires.

Which CHAOS cleverly avoids.

LarryJ Nov 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 30418637)

CHAOS is only a legal work action when the parties have been released into self help. If they tried it now the airline would get a quick injunction to stop it.

fastair Nov 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 30418637)

It does NOT. A "wildcat" strike is just as illegal as an all out strike. Any job action that can be attributed to a labor action would quickly get quashed by the feds with sever penalties. Putting a trademark or a copyright on a term doesn't make the application of that term in an unlawful way suddenly lawful.