Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Updated waiver as of >14 Nov. 2018: Note added cities and extended dates:
  • Burbank, CA (BUR)
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​
  • Sacramento, CA (SMF)
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)
  • Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s):

November 9, 2018 - November 23, 2018​
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 2, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​​​

Earlier waivers for this incident:

older waiver
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:54 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I have been ex-SFO 3 times in the last 5 days and, while it is certainly smokey/fogey, I haven't caught a material flight delay yet. Sitting in the lounge waiting for an EWR flight as we speak which looks good on the inbound equipment time-wise so far. Would also note that the 757-200 is 100% booked while my SEA > SFO flight this AM was probably only 70% full (perhaps with people choosing other routing for connecting travel).
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:02 pm

Does anyone know how the waiver would (or wouldn't) apply for a flight connecting to a partner flight? i.e. SFO - LHR on UA and then LHR - FRA on LX? All on one PNR.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I was flying MEX SFO NRT on Monday. Sunday evening, I got a barrage of texts and an email about changing my flight. I almost did—trying that night—but couldn't find another flight that day with PZ space (I'd already used a GPU) so I decided to risk it. Both flights were showing as on time and the planes were already where they needed to be (must have been some scheduled maintenance at SFO for the 777 for that route). ... The long and the short of it is that in spite of all the warnings, both flights departed more or less on time and arrived 20 minutes or more early. 20 more minutes to enjoy that Polaris lounge!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
not exactly unexpected, but .bomb is being somewhat bizarre in terms of what it's allowing for changes.

i was ticketed OGG-SFO-EWR, K fare. i wanted to change flights, same routing. no dice, still got the $200 change fee.

for whatever reason, i tried OGG-SFO-IAD-BDL. no problem, $0 change fee even though my originally ticketed fare class was not available. sweet, closer to home. UA.com gave me the expected "error" change when attempting to ticket on the final rebooking screen, but my reservation was changed. all i had to do was to call in and have my ticket re-synced.

i then tried random cities for my final destination. i couldn't get anything international to work, but BOS, SRQ and MHT all worked.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Offers Funds, Bonus Miles and First Responder Assistance in Response to California Wildfires

Airline making direct cash donations to communities affected by wildfires while offering bonus miles for Crowdrise by GoFundMe donations and flights for first responders

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today reaffirmed its commitment to California and to lifting up communities in need by announcing $150,000 in direct donations to Ventura County Community Foundation and North Valley Community Foundation for their efforts in areas affected by the ongoing California wildfires, while launching a new Crowdrise by GoFundMe campaign to award up to five million bonus miles for individuals who make donations of $50 or more. All funds will go toward efforts to support affected communities in California. The airline also continues to work with the Governor's Office of Emergency Services and both community foundations with offers to fly first responders who need to get in or around California.

"United is deeply connected to the affected communities and with a profound sense of both sadness and duty during this difficult time, we are proud to offer our assistance," said Janet Lamkin, United's president for California. "We will continue to engage our generous customers, employees and MileagePlus members and work with local leadership to support all those affected by these devastating fires."

Donations to the Crowdrise by GoFundMe campaign support three relief partners: American Red Cross, Ventura County Community Foundation and North Valley Community Foundation. This commitment to American Red Cross is in addition to United's annual gift to the American Red Cross Annual Disaster Giving Program. Since the fires began, this annual funding has enabled the organization to mobilize its immediate response to support evacuees in emergency shelters and provide food, water and other needed services.

"Stepping forward during treacherous times is the sign of great leadership and, in this case, a great company," said Vanessa Bechtel, Executive Director of Ventura County Community Foundation. "With United's generous donation to support those impacted by the wildfires, Ventura County Community Foundation is able to provide direct financial support to help get our community back on its feet."

"The generosity of United helps provide shelter, food and hope, making a compassionate difference for people affected by the destructive wildfires in California," said Elizabeth Penniman, vice president, Communications at the American Red Cross.

"The outpouring of support is immense and amid the flames and smoke it is a ray of light. We are so grateful to United Airlines for immediately responding with care and support," said Alexa Benson-Valavanis, president and CEO of North Valley Community Foundation.

Today's announcement builds on United's continued commitment to California and recent campaigns to aid in response to wildfires and other disasters. Over the last 12 months, United has raised and donated more than $900,000 to help communities affected by the wildfires.

The airline is offering a travel waiver for customers ticketed on flights to, from or through Los Angeles International Airport, Hollywood Burbank Airport and San Francisco International Airport. Customers may reschedule their itineraries for travel through Nov. 25 with a one-time date or time change, and the airline will waive the change fees and any difference in fare for flights booked in the same cabin and same arrival/destination airports. United will continue to monitor conditions and will make updates and announcements on its Twitter handle @United and on united.com.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Looks like this waiver has been extended until Nov. 23 and includes SMF and STS now.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by slippahs
Looks like this waiver has been extended until Nov. 23 and includes SMF and STS now.
This looks more like passenger-oriented that have little to do with flight operations. The air quality has been very bad in the Central Valley.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 pm

Has anyone been able to get the agents to move the return flight for free, if the outbound falls within the waiver time frame but the return does not?

I've not had a problem doing that in the past if it's a reasonable request (e.g. move both outbound and return to 1 day earlier so the total duration of the trip stays the same) but not this time.

edit: The website let's you do this for free.

Last edited by sincx; Nov 16, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
Has anyone been able to get the agents to move the return flight for free, if the outbound falls within the waiver time frame but the return does not?...
Single ticket or separate tickets?
Is the change (new dates) still inside the waiver window?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
GPU upgraded flights need to change to flights with available PZ space, otherwise stuck in Y, right?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
GPU upgraded flights need to change to flights with available PZ space, otherwise stuck in Y, right?
I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer on that. The website definitely will dump you back in Y if you change. However, if you ask an agent, you may get one to do it for you. If so it will take some doing, though, so perhaps you want to wait for the weather re-accomodations are more settled.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA GS
Are award tickets eligible for the travel waiver? I just called United reservations to change a SFO/LAX award ticket (take an earlier flight on 11/23). The orginial award ticket was at 10k, and earlier flight requires 20k. The GS agent said it would take another 10k to make the change. I asked the agent "So the Travel Waiver does not apply to Award tickets?" She replied that this is correct.

Is the agent correct, or is this a HUCA situation.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ms_go
We are scheduled to fly from ORD to PPT on Sunday, with a two-hour connection at SFO (connection was originally three hours, but a schedule change somewhere along the way reduced it). So far, it looks like the ORD>SFO flights are mostly running on time, but this still makes me a little nervous, especially since UA doesn't fly to PPT every day. I know the waiver doesn't cover Sunday (yet), but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to switch to the first (6am) morning flight or the evening before, if and when possible. What would you do? Thanks!
We were in this exact situation on Tuesday. Both our flights were dead on time with no problems. I think they’ll get 115 out but check “where is this flight coming from” to see if the bird has arrived. In our case it was coming from PVG and overnighted at SFO.

I’d be more concerned about ORD-SFO. If you don’t mind the early flight you could change to the 6:00am, or even better go the night before but check hotels first, I hear they’re fairly full.

Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by PBAudit
Are award tickets eligible for the travel waiver? I just called United reservations to change a SFO/LAX award ticket (take an earlier flight on 11/23). The orginial award ticket was at 10k, and earlier flight requires 20k. The GS agent said it would take another 10k to make the change. I asked the agent "So the Travel Waiver does not apply to Award tickets?" She replied that this is correct.

Is the agent correct, or is this a HUCA situation.
HUCA. I have used travel waivers to change routing of award reservations (including LH segments) as recently as last summer. 99% sure the segments I switched to didn't have saver availability.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by milepig
We were in this exact situation on Tuesday. Both our flights were dead on time with no problems. I think they’ll get 115 out but check “where is this flight coming from” to see if the bird has arrived. In our case it was coming from PVG and overnighted at SFO.

I’d be more concerned about ORD-SFO. If you don’t mind the early flight you could change to the 6:00am, or even better go the night before but check hotels first, I hear they’re fairly full.
Thanks! I saw that today's 9 am ORD-SFO flight (same as ours for Sunday) was going to be delayed by almost 3 hours due to SFO ATC, so I called this morning and got us switched to the 6 am flight. We now have five hours between flights, which is okay - we can check out the Polaris lounge. Right now, our 115 is showing as coming from KIX, arriving that morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.