Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Updated waiver as of >14 Nov. 2018: Note added cities and extended dates:
  • Burbank, CA (BUR)
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​
  • Sacramento, CA (SMF)
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)
  • Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s):

November 9, 2018 - November 23, 2018​
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 2, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​​​

Earlier waivers for this incident:

older waiver
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
ANZ would work but you can’t get to Auckland without going through SFO or LAX.
You can via IAH.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
You can via IAH.
I forgot about that. I think the timing didn’t work out. I need to recheck that.

OhThat would need to be Monday. There is no Tuesday IAH flight. May as well rebook to SFO on Monday evening or early Tuesday and take the nonstop from there.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I forgot about that. I think the timing didn’t work out. I need to recheck that.

OhThat would need to be Monday. There is no Tuesday IAH flight. May as well rebook to SFO on Monday evening or early Tuesday and take the nonstop from there.
or see if they'll change it and spend an extra day in Tahiti : )

oops, never mind...not worth the hassle of going thru AKL
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...ANZ would work but you can’t get to Auckland without going through SFO or LAX...
ANZ flies to AKL from IAH and HNL. Just sayin' you can get to AKL by various ways w/o going through SFO or LAX...
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
It's not as bad as yesterday (I can't actually smell the smoke inside, unless I've just gotten used to it) but I don't know if the visibility is good enough to prevent delays. That being said, it's really no different than normal poor visibility delays at SFO, and international flights are the least likely to be impacted. Planes can still take off and land, they just can't always use the second runway for parallel landings, hence delays, but it's mostly going to be short-haul flights.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I had an hour plus ATC delay getting into SFO yesterday because of smoke. I just called to take advantage of the travel waiver and moved an upcoming fight to an earlier time so allow for delay. Done without issue.......
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
SoCal is getting hit also.

I'm 15 minutes east of LAX and the smoke just rolled into my neighborhood. It was a nice sunny day. The air smells like a giant grill. I have friends in Thousand Oaks that have evacuated from their homes the last couple of days due to fire threat.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772

I'm 15 minutes east of LAX and the smoke just rolled into my neighborhood. It was a nice sunny day. The air smells like a giant grill. I have friends in Thousand Oaks that have evacuated from their homes the last couple of days due to fire threat.
Isn't LAX's runway layout more conducive to multiple simultaneous landings even with low visibility? Though I guess at some point the number of landings will end up getting cut back anyway.

Anyway, I wish the best for your friends (and really anyone else who has to evacuate due to the fires).
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

"Southern"???
Waiver is updated per your observation on UAs web sites.

David .
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772

Same here at the border of Beverly Hills and West Hollywood, about 15 miles from LAX. It was sunny and clear this morning, and now the air is thick, it smells like a barbecue outside, and I'm inside with a splitting headache and watery eyes. I'm so glad I'm not flying today.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:08 pm

Flying MNL-NRT-LAX-DEN on the 15th. If this draws out I would love to be on the NRT-DEN flight. My issue is I have to book an “illegal ticket” due to budget and the international legs are in business, the domestic are in economy. This has made things like SDC nearly impossible. You think I would have issues getting a NRT-DEN seat in business (if available), if the waiver is extended?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by shawnjeck
Flying MNL-NRT-LAX-DEN on the 15th. If this draws out I would love to be on the NRT-DEN flight. My issue is I have to book an “illegal ticket” due to budget and the international legs are in business, the domestic are in economy. This has made things like SDC nearly impossible. You think I would have issues getting a NRT-DEN seat in business (if available), if the waiver is extended?
Just realized I am on ANA NRT-LAX on a United ticket (016). Would a possible waiver still work?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Total ground stop at SFO until 10:30am PST today, with medium probability of extension: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_otherdis.jsp?advn=31&adv_date=11112018&facId=S FO/ZOA&title=CDM+GROUND+STOP&titleDate=11/11/18

My flight tonight is still on time but I wonder how true that's going to stay.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
ORD-SFO night before or the 6am flight would give a 5.5 hour layover.
Is SJC as affected? I would be a very short 1:15 connection via Uber, I think not. There is a SJC connection via IAH but for that we may just as well take the 6am nonstop to SFO.
Do this. Most likely SFO's GDP won't be issued before 4 am PST when you depart ORD. It should be on time.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Total ground stop at SFO until 10:30am PST today, with medium probability of extension: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=11/11/18
That GS was for departures from ZLA ZLC ZOA ZSE only until 1730Z (0930 PST).

It's been replaced by a GDP affecting all CONUS+Canada departures arriving SFO before 2359Z (4 pm PST), average delay 57 min: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=11/11/18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.