Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
Updated waiver as of >14 Nov. 2018: Note added cities and extended dates:
  • Burbank, CA (BUR)
  • Los Angeles, CA (LAX)​
  • Sacramento, CA (SMF)
  • San Francisco, CA (SFO)
  • Santa Rosa, CA (STS)
​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s):

November 9, 2018 - November 23, 2018​
Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before December 2, 2018, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​​​

Earlier waivers for this incident:

older waiver
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver California Wildfires 9-23 November 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just changed from SFO-YVR-Asia with the long-haul on AC in business to the direct SFO-Asia United Polaris for a flight on Monday without any issues. (First leg was UA, 016 ticket)

The UA flight was wide open which might have had something to do with them agreeing to it so easily (not only J9, but also I9 and PZ9 - and that's after my change), but the original connection was only about 90 minutes in YVR, so there was at least some chance of a misconnect due to the conditions.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, MR Gold, HH Gold, GE
We are scheduled to fly YYZ-SFO-HKG on Wednesday with a 2.5 hour connection. I’m looking to change the YYZ leg to Tuesday evening and overnight in SFO rather than risk missing our flight to HKG. The first leg is on AC and not only are we on two separate reservations, one is an award ticket. Under the waiver, will we be able to switch the AC leg to another AC flight or must we change to UA metal for to get to SFO? The options that I see on UA metal leave YYZ earlier than some of the AC options, and a later flight would work best for us.

Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by eakcats
The first leg is on AC and not only are we on two separate reservations, one is an award ticket. Under the waiver, will we be able to switch the AC leg to another AC flight or must we change to UA metal for to get to SFO? The options that I see on UA metal leave YYZ earlier than some of the AC options, and a later flight would work best for us.
Is the first leg a UA ticket, or a AC ticket?

If it's AC, then you need to talk to AC to see what can be done.

If it's a UA ticket, then yes, I would suspect it can be changed - best bet is to simply call and ask.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ms_go
Thanks! I saw that today's 9 am ORD-SFO flight (same as ours for Sunday) was going to be delayed by almost 3 hours due to SFO ATC, so I called this morning and got us switched to the 6 am flight. We now have five hours between flights, which is okay - we can check out the Polaris lounge. Right now, our 115 is showing as coming from KIX, arriving that morning.
let us know how it all turns. Out. You lost the lie-flat seats, but better to be at SFO!

The weather here is glorious. I’m on the deck in the sun with a soothing beverage.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:27 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Was helping a family member make a change under the WX waiver and was told the waiver only applied for tickets booked before November 9th (this ticket was booked last week).

Reviewed the UA TA page and did not note any reference to “...booked on or before” but rather the standard (?) verbiage of “...travel on or before...”.

Question I have is 1. are there more constraints to the WX waiver then UA published, 2. if so, how does one check them, 3. if not was it just a rouge agent and best thing to do is HUCA?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by milepig
let us know how it all turns. Out. You lost the lie-flat seats, but better to be at SFO!

The weather here is glorious. I’m on the deck in the sun with a soothing beverage.
We are at the Polaris lounge at SFO. The 6 am flight arrived 35 minutes early. Our original 9 am flight (which was a 739 - the 8 am was on the 777) departed an hour late due to SFO ATC. Assuming it's not delayed further, we probably would have made it, but it would have been tight and stressful - although I feel bad stressing about vacation given what's happening here. Looking forward to the weather. It snowed in Chicago yesterday.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Was helping a family member make a change under the WX waiver and was told the waiver only applied for tickets booked before November 9th (this ticket was booked last week).
Standard that booking after the travel waiver was posted are not included
However, in the case of the California fires waiver, it was first 9-11, then 9-13 then 9-16 and now 9-23.

At the time of booking was the date cover by the waiver? If not you can push that angle.

If they did book in the waiver period, it gets tricky as the agent may suspect an attempt to use the waiver to get a better flight otherwise not available. However a HUCA might work in that case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.