FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Reflections on a EWR-LAX in C on a 777 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1939674-reflections-ewr-lax-c-777-a.html)

zrs70 Nov 8, 2018 11:42 pm

Reflections on a EWR-LAX in C on a 777

I’m going to rehash what many other threads contain. I do this at the risk of it being merged, but here it goes anyway.

I flew EWR-LAX earlier this week. It was on a 777 in C, 2-4-2 layout. The seat was comfy. The food was good. The service was just fine. WIFI worked. Entertainment was better than normal. Flight was on time (early arrival), and the gate at LAX was vacant, so no waiting.

I thought about when PS service first came out. Such a stark difference:

1) No lie flat seats in C.
2) Worn down RCC.
3) Out of the way JFK airport.
4) Comparatively poor entertainment option
5) Really cumbersome charging ports

And yet....

And yet, those old PS flights were so much better.

Boarding was a breeze.
There was a feeling of ample space.
Service was refined and personalized.
JFK RCC agents were the best.
The whole concept was a separate entity. PS was dedicated to two routes. It made things special.
Upgrades.
The elusive double upgrade!

PVDtoDEL Nov 8, 2018 11:49 pm

I'm not so sure about "Compatatively poor entertainment option" - the loss of Channel 9 still stings...

EWR764 Nov 9, 2018 4:20 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 30410530)
I'm not so sure about "Compatatively poor entertainment option" - the loss of Channel 9 still stings...

It’s still there in F on the 77G.

Good luck finding a crew to turn it on, though.

MatthewLAX Nov 9, 2018 5:27 am

I certainly miss the JFK agents and the old 752 J and F seats (though not on overnight flights!).

But we have come full circle in a way. Remember when p.s. debuted meals were free in Economy Plus (the whole economy section was E+). Now meals are back and just like before.

I don't know...food was better before, but overall I'm pretty happy with the flights today.

UA_Flyer Nov 9, 2018 11:40 am

I have flown United for over 27 years. One thing that has been evolving over the years is the hard product is getting better with advancement in technology and innovation including the Lounges and airport facilities (with the exception of IAD, but we know that death, tax and IAD “temporary” terminals are pretty certain in life).

More people are flying over the years, so the “special feeling” of PS or international premium class is no long felt. Because the increase in air travel, services and soft products are no longer kept at the same level as before. For example, SQ is In the same boat. Great hard products but services and soft products have been cut back, although it is still a dam good airlines to fly and I still love flying them as much as I could.

In the “old days”, PS meals were great and there were two meals served. Now, the entree choices seem to be the same on every flight. JFK staffs were excellent and the Global First Lounge/ RCC was a nice and quiet lounge as compare to the EWR staffs and packed United Clubs.

I am fine with PS of today, the flatbed and IFE help to make the journey less stressful.

physioprof Nov 9, 2018 4:21 pm

As someone who flies the EWR-SNA route frequently on 737-700s, when I fly EWR-LAX/SFO I feel like I'm in the lap of extreme luxury!

LIH Nov 9, 2018 4:27 pm

JFK was only "out of the way" for a certain sub-set of people. I hate going to EWR. I get that it works for some people but I travel to New York roughly twice a month for the last 10 years and I only end up in-or-out of EWR in irrops or the occasional international continuation.

I agree with the balance of your note, however.

Phil Level Nov 10, 2018 7:51 am

From the past, Row 9
I'm not a huge fan of the 777 as the J seats have no storage.
I'm looking forward to trying the new 787-10 LAX-EWR-LAX. Have already booked a few segments in 2019 on that bird.

higher_flyer Nov 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 30412355)
I have flown United for over 27 years. One thing that has been evolving over the years is the hard product is getting better with advancement in technology and innovation including the Lounges and airport facilities (with the exception of IAD, but we know that death, tax and IAD “temporary” terminals are pretty certain in life).

Same here, 25 years on UA, and I would agree about the hard product evolution, with the major exception of Y. Everything about Y is less comfortable now than before. The "advancement in technology" has brought us seats that are more slim, more narrow, more cramped, and with less cushion and less recline. Even on PS flights, there is a consistent decline in Y hard product, "advanced" or not.

phkc070408 Nov 10, 2018 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by higher_flyer (Post 30416001)
Same here, 25 years on UA, and I would agree about the hard product evolution, with the major exception of Y. Everything about Y is less comfortable now than before. The "advancement in technology" has brought us seats that are more slim, more narrow, more cramped, and with less cushion and less recline. Even on PS flights, there is a consistent decline in Y hard product, "advanced" or not.

Agreed. When PS was in/out of SFO it was it's own animal with the 3 class planes where Y+ was the lowest you can go. While they didn't happen exactly at the same time, it seams that the changing of the cabin configuration from F/J/Y+ to J/Y+/Y was timed close enough with the relocation to EWR that they COULD have been related. As far as ps goes, I really only consider J to be ps now; Y+ and Y are just another standard route.

Interestingly, I flew EWR-SFO/LAX several times before the reclassification but haven't flown those routes since the rebranding due to changes in family and work situations. It's funny because my final t-con flight was a week before the rebranding. Fortunately I might have the chance to try it next year, and if nothing changes, I'm hoping to grab a J seat on the Polars 77J. Note that I am yet to try the Polaris Seats either due to the same work/family changes that pretty much haunted all of my flying.

keisari Nov 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 30410521)
The elusive double upgrade!

It was very sweet when it happened.

mellon Nov 10, 2018 9:30 pm

its a shame UA should bring back the "special" part of PS, I have to admit the newer layflat seats have made a huge difference and I have booked some 787-10 flights for next year, but I wish it was the service of the "old days"
We used to joke with our friends that PS,,,,,,,, actually stood for "Pretty Special".

Colin Nov 10, 2018 10:16 pm

why no polaris lounge access on nyc-lax/sfo trancons?
AA includes its intl J lounge.

phkc070408 Nov 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Because PS is not considered a Polaris Business flight. Polaris Business Class is only for international long haul flights. PS is simply "Business" Class." Note that you do get access to the United Club. While not a nice as the Polaris Lounge, it beats sitting at the gate.

On a more broad subject that is OT but has been mentioned before and was just mentioned in the previous post, A lot of people ask why [this] and [that] don't get access to the Polaris Lounge. Keep in mind that if UA allowed access to the Polaris Lounge for all of these odds and ends (PS, Hawaii, 1K, GS, any flight with Polaris Seats, 2 credit card passes per year, etc.), the Polaris Lounge would not be the treat that it is, but would be more like the United Club. It would be crowded, show more wear and tear, and as costs rise due to more use, cuts would be more financially benefitting to UA. The idea of the Polaris Lounge was to be exclusive and not for everyone. -- If everyone is special, than no one is special.

Colin Nov 11, 2018 11:45 am

it puts UA at a competitive disadvantage for everyone buying J & traveling from LA to Manhattan.
for these passengers, the LAX & JFK AA Flagships lounges are so much better than United Clubs.
lounge quality is not immaterial when considering getting to these airports a bit early to account for the possible hellish traffic at either end.

perhaps UA is fine with the revenue from people needing EWR and locked-in elite.
for me, i pick UA only if cheaper.