Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reflections on a EWR-LAX in C on a 777

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
And do I recall that PS flights had a dedicated crew roster? Seemed I saw a lot of the same FAs between JFK and SFO. They took great pride in working those flights and looked phenomenal. Men had their top button done and their tie all the way up for the whole flight. Women were in heels and skirts, instead of poorly tailored pants and clogs as soon as the door closed. The whole thing actually felt it was worth the price you paid. When was the last time anyone thought that???
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Colin
it puts UA at a competitive disadvantage for everyone buying J & traveling from LA to Manhattan.
for these passengers, the LAX & JFK AA Flagships lounges are so much better than United Clubs.
lounge quality is not immaterial when considering getting to these airports a bit early to account for the possible hellish traffic at either end.

perhaps UA is fine with the revenue from people needing EWR and locked-in elite.
for me, i pick UA only if cheaper.
well UNited is upgrading the United Clubs, so they will be good enough for the trascon flights.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
And do I recall that PS flights had a dedicated crew roster? Seemed I saw a lot of the same FAs between JFK and SFO. They took great pride in working those flights and looked phenomenal. Men had their top button done and their tie all the way up for the whole flight. Women were in heels and skirts, instead of poorly tailored pants and clogs as soon as the door closed. The whole thing actually felt it was worth the price you paid. When was the last time anyone thought that???
It was dedicated because it was solely staffed with JFK-based crew. Without any international flights, the senior FAs would choose to fly on the transcon instead of multi-legs out of LGA. Furthermore, they used to staff the flight with 6 flight attendants instead of 5 today, so the service level was much higher.

Once the flights were moved to EWR, they started staffing the flights out of both LAX and SFO base, as well as s-CO FAs from various bases for those 16 seats 757 in rotation (had a Houston-based crew once, which felt really out of place). In addition, with the base move to EWR, the former JFK flight attendants once again have international options instead of solely on transcon flights.
wxguy likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:48 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
It was dedicated because it was solely staffed with JFK-based crew. Without any international flights, the senior FAs would choose to fly on the transcon instead of multi-legs out of LGA. Furthermore, they used to staff the flight with 6 flight attendants instead of 5 today, so the service level was much higher..
+1 to this. I had some of the best crews of my travel career LAX <> JFK which I used to do monthly. Several of them still recognize me when I run into them today (mostly on INTL flights) which they opted for when JFK unwound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.