Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on this popular Streamers "Worst Traveling Experiance"?

Old Nov 8, 18, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold

I randomly came across this video on YouTube about a popular Twitch Streamer talking his worst traveling experience, it happened on United. I'm just curious on if this is something that others have seen happen, or was this some one off thing. And I just think it could also be nice to add what he could have done differently when handling this situation from Frequent Fliers on united. I haven't flown United since before the merger (I was also just a kid), so I don't know anything really about the current state. Video is like 13 minutes so I understand if you can't watch it all so I'll write what happened below.

Video is like 13 minutes so I understand if you can't watch it all so I'll write what happened below.
Basically he purchased 5 FC tickets for himself and his friend around 6 months before travel date, when checking in he and his wife had 'see agent' on their boarding passes, but his friends had their seat numbers. He approached the agent who told him to sit down and she would call him, she never did call him and when boarding they were informed that they had to change their seats to economy, they accepted it since it was a short flight and they didn't want to wait. When they arrived in Chicago they saw that their 2nd flight also had 'See Agent' on it, while their friends had the seat numbers on it. The agent said they had overbooked the flight and they would have to sit in economy, united offered them 2000 flight credit (I assume that like a voucher on Delta?) which they didn't want. Also which seemed weird to me was that he claimed their seats had been given to FF as an upgrade, maybe he misunderstood? They finally agreed to refund their flight and give them their friends seat and give their friends the flight credit instead.

Anyway that's the about it, I am curious on your thoughts on the matter. The video would be more informative then what I wrote. Thanks

p.s. I checked rules, didn't see anything against linking videos if I am mistaken I apologize.
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Even without bothering to watch the video, my thoughts would be.

He bought tickets five months out, so most likely deep discount P fares. depending on the route, if somebody was willing to pay full Y fare close in, it was most likely agreat deal more than he paid for his ticket. Of course, full fare Y entitles the holder to an automatic upgrade if a premier member of MP, so the flight becomes oversold in F. He was offered recompense for a downgrade which he refused.

If that was his worst ever travel experience, I doubt he has done a lot of travelling.
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Richym99 View Post
Of course, full fare Y entitles the holder to an automatic upgrade if a premier member of MP, so the flight becomes oversold in F.
That is not true. Instant upgrades are not guaranteed; they're on a space-available basis. Generally, UA will not oversell the F cabin, although there are occasional exceptions.

F oversells tend to come from one of four places places, roughly in order of occurrence: equipment swaps, air marshals, forced oversales to transport GS members / VIPs, and inoperative seats.
Miggles, LordHamster and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Richym99 View Post
Of course, full fare Y entitles the holder to an automatic upgrade if a premier member of MP, so the flight becomes oversold in F.
Just to reiterate jsloan's point, this is incorrect. 100% incorrect.

I've been involuntarily dg'ed once, and it's not much fun. It can happen on any airline, but the way it's handled matters. Doesn't sound like UA handled this one well.
LordHamster and Beltway2A like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
That is not true. Instant upgrades are not guaranteed; they're on a space-available basis. Generally, UA will not oversell the F cabin, although there are occasional exceptions.

F oversells tend to come from one of four places places, roughly in order of occurrence: equipment swaps, air marshals, forced oversales to transport GS members / VIPs, and inoperative seats.
I've been GS for a number of years, and have never been offered the option to purchase an F seat via forced oversale on a flight at F0. And I have asked GS agents, "Is there any way I can get on this flight in F?" Do you know something I don't?
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I've been GS for a number of years, and have never been offered the option to purchase an F seat via forced oversale on a flight at F0.
It happens from time to time.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It happens from time to time.
I'm reporting anecdotes, but from what I've seen, it's more common in IRROPs than it is when you're just trying to purchase a ticket.

I almost left it off of the list, but I've seen enough reports to make me believe it's a real thing, if an inconsistent one.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm reporting anecdotes, but from what I've seen, it's more common in IRROPs than it is when you're just trying to purchase a ticket.

I almost left it off of the list, but I've seen enough reports to make me believe it's a real thing, if an inconsistent one.
Yes it's been reported from both sides (bumper and bumpee).
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm reporting anecdotes but from what I've seen, it's more common in IRROPs than it is when you're just trying to purchase a ticket. ....
Irrops and likely a very limited group (as many GS have posted they have not been able to do this), perhaps Chairman's Circle types?

but let's return to the OP's issue and let GS benefits be handled in Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions [2018]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 18 at 6:02 pm Reason: let's get back on topic
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
It sounds like they checked in at the airport. Just another reason to check in at t-24. Of course, they could still have been bumped, but checking in earlier could have been the tie-breaker...

Also, he notes that his flight was late getting into ORD, so I'm wondering if the agent had already cleared upgraders into their seats for the ORD-XXX leg, assuming that they would misconnect.
jonathanbak likes this.

Last edited by tods27; Nov 8, 18 at 5:57 pm
Old Nov 9, 18, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G, Global Entry, Hertz PC
Dude, it sounds more like he had not had any attention for more than 3 nanoseconds, dude, and decided to promote himself again, dude.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Nov 9, 18, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, National Executive Elite, Hilton Diamond
I couldn't watch more than 30 seconds of this annoying idiot.

anywho, can anyone post a cliff notes of what happened?
Old Nov 9, 18, 7:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum
My guess is that there was an equipment change which resulted in the overbooking of the F cabin.
Goaguy likes this.
Old Nov 9, 18, 8:39 am

Nope, I'm not going to generate any more traffic for his YT channel...
Old Nov 9, 18, 8:46 am
LIH

Programs: UA 1K 1.2MM UC | SPG Plat | Hertz 5*PC
I've only run into outright oversold FC once in my 31 years of flying on United. It was an LAX > LIH flight and the UC agent was mortified that my wife had been bumped from her seat as the lowest status person in the cabin (she was a GM before I hit 1MM). They ended up having two no-shows due to late connections but the station manager who the UC agent brought in to talk to me basically said it was a mega-VIP and that it never should have happened.

I've never been bumped from first due to gauge change but you certainly see that happen a lot more often. Given that this kid had it happen to two people in his party it sounds much more like a gauge change. Hard to see UA intentionally overbooking FC by +2. Given that I'm sure he was a GM status wise they would be the right people to bump in that situation per the rules.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: