Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DirectTV Cost: What flight time do they use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass

I flew on UA 739 this past Saturday on a 737-900. I purchased DirecTV on the flight. I was expecting the cost to be $5.99 since the flight was under 2 hours, but I looked and my card was charged $7.99. How do they determine the 2 hour cutoff?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When you say "under 2 hours", was that the gate to gate time or the air time?

Which UA739 ? MCO-DEN or DEN-PHX?

My guess is the cutoff is based on gate to gate since the viewing time is possible once you have boarded and until you disembark.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When you say "under 2 hours", was that the gate to gate time or the air time?

Which UA739 ? MCO-DEN or DEN-PHX?

My guess is the cutoff is based on gate to gate since the viewing time is possible once you have boarded and until you disembark.
DEN-PHX.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swiftaw
DEN-PHX.
Appears the scheduled block time last Saturday was 1:54 but a few spot checks show days with block times of over 2 hours ( 2:08, 2:14, ...) so UA may be using an annual average time as they do for meals.

I have never paid for DirecTV -- does the bill come from UA or DirecTV? If UA, I would file for a refund and document your schedule times (1:54)

-- There is a DirecTV option at www.united.com/refunds

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2018 at 1:31 am Reason: www.united.com/refunds
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I sent an email to Customer Service (before I saw your refunds link) and they wrote back saying they would refund the entire amount (I hadn't asked for that, I was just querying the price).
jsloan and LordHamster like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I sent an email to Customer Service (before I saw your refunds link) and they wrote back saying they would refund the entire amount (I hadn't asked for that, I was just querying the price).
You may well be the only person who has ever swiped a credit card to watch the direct TV. They didn't know how to handle it.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LordHamster
You may well be the only person who has ever swiped a credit card to watch the direct TV. They didn't know how to handle it.
Quite possibly. Normally I wouldn't either, but I wanted to watch a specific sporting event.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:38 am

Doesn't it say in Hemispheres or somewhere that the charge is based on something like "Boarding Pass Travel Time"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.