Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did I get upgraded to Polaris J?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
Hugh, that has been my experience. The IT related to this process must be very wonky. Recently, some friends and I traveled SFO > HKG and were on the Upgrade Standby List for Polaris using miles prior to boarding. We cleared at the gate, the upgrade was processed by the gate agent. Boarding pass in hand for Polaris J, check mark appeared next to names on the app. Refreshed once on the plane to see how many total people were upgraded and it showed Full/Full, check marks had gone away, and it appeared that my friends and I (as well as everyone else who was upgraded) were back on the Upgrade Standby List even though we were seated comfortably in our J seats. I guess maybe United feels that too much transparency allows for people to try and game the system, or place themselves in the best position to be upgraded, as opposed to just buying Polaris (or any other premium cabin) outright.

Happy flying!
A little transparency is a useful thing....perhaps to game the system, but I'm not sure how that would help...but if they're going to have an upgrade program at all, what's the harm is letting us see how many got upgraded and how many didn't. And more importantly, it might provide some protection against shenanigans if it showed who was filling the seats, as it used to do. Now, we only now they were filled, but by who? Even if I was upgraded, how do I know that the other seats were properly allotted?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
Hugh, that has been my experience. The IT related to this process must be very wonky. Recently, some friends and I traveled SFO > HKG and were on the Upgrade Standby List for Polaris using miles prior to boarding. We cleared at the gate, the upgrade was processed by the gate agent. Boarding pass in hand for Polaris J, check mark appeared next to names on the app. Refreshed once on the plane to see how many total people were upgraded and it showed Full/Full, check marks had gone away, and it appeared that my friends and I (as well as everyone else who was upgraded) were back on the Upgrade Standby List even though we were seated comfortably in our J seats. I guess maybe United feels that too much transparency allows for people to try and game the system, or place themselves in the best position to be upgraded, as opposed to just buying Polaris (or any other premium cabin) outright.

Happy flying!
I think buyups would not show as "upgraded" on the upgrade list. That is why it often goes from 5 unbooked to totally full with no change in the upgrade waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.