Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K Status as a US Government Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Dear OP. I am an employee at an FFRDC so I am subject to many of the same rules (without access to the M class fares.. I some times get them if NSF, NASA or DOE is direct booking for me).

1) Don't abuse it. 1K is not worth getting fired or worse. This is the taxpayers money.
2) some times a bargain buyup comes along. not a checked in buy up (no extra PQM there).
3) The one year I made 1K it was due to two personal trips to Australia... I ended up doing a 1K MR to make up the PQD..
4) I would not do that again. I do better on UGs this year as a gold hitting checked in upgrade offers. GPUs are almost only useful if you can fund inventory to allow it to clear on booking. And given GSA rules (personal days before etc) that's hard to wrangle.. read the threads.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Or if you're using your GPUs for personal travel, which wouldn't be subject to the same restrictions.
I have about the same experience as cyclogenesis but that comes on top of 20+ years as a govt traveler. I have absolutely used city pairs for official travel when I've had leave in conjunction but only for the official portion of the trip. Any personal portion has been done using personal reservations. The big problem I always had as a government traveler was that my heavy travel years that earned me Premier Executive would be followed by light travel years where the PE benefits vanished and then I'd have another heavy travel year as basic Premier.
My business travel each year would barely get me to Silver. I made 1K for the first time this year by adding 2 personal trips to Hawaii and personal trips to Thailand and London on top of an abnormal amount of business travel. With what I've seen on this board about RPUs and GPUs and my inability to apply them usefully for flights over an hour, I'd be happy to make Gold for access to G* lounges while traveling internationally and just looking for TOD upgrades.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann

Government travelers only fly J when upgraded or when they pay for the buy-up offered at check-in. Otherwise, they fly Y. Recall the huge scandal the recent EPA director was in in part as a result of flying J.
Really? I don't live in the US - surprises me there isn't a rule in place for international flights greater than a certain length (say 8 hours) requiring J class.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Really? I don't live in the US - surprises me there isn't a rule in place for international flights greater than a certain length (say 8 hours) requiring J class.
You are partially correct. The post on which you comment is wrong.

OPM travel regulations permit government travelers to fly in paid premium, e.g. J or F (if no J) when certain conditions are met. However, that is both permissive by the agency and decision unit within the agency as well as the agency's appropriation for travel expenses. Thus, an agency may restrict government-wide rules, but may not expand them. In addition, it must have available funds for the travel.

The specific comment in question is presumably from somebody at an agency which has chosen to restrict government-wide rules. The stories about various US senior officials travelling in paid F relate to the use or misuse of exemptions which are available to agencies with proper documentation. Not really relevant to the discussion here other than to point out that nothing invites scrutiny from an agency's internal auditors or IG faster than seemingly excessive travel costs. Not that one should forgo premium travel, but that one ought to assure that it is properly documented.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
You are partially correct. The post on which you comment is wrong.

OPM travel regulations permit government travelers to fly in paid premium, e.g. J or F (if no J) when certain conditions are met. However, that is both permissive by the agency and decision unit within the agency as well as the agency's appropriation for travel expenses. Thus, an agency may restrict government-wide rules, but may not expand them. In addition, it must have available funds for the travel.

The specific comment in question is presumably from somebody at an agency which has chosen to restrict government-wide rules. The stories about various US senior officials travelling in paid F relate to the use or misuse of exemptions which are available to agencies with proper documentation. Not really relevant to the discussion here other than to point out that nothing invites scrutiny from an agency's internal auditors or IG faster than seemingly excessive travel costs. Not that one should forgo premium travel, but that one ought to assure that it is properly documented.
Hope my experiences didn’t offend you.

I had a boss once who said that if anyone were to ask her for upgrade approval, she’d just management reassign them to a job without travel.

So, yes, there are provisions for business class travel if the travel is over 14 hours and there’s a medical reason for it. However, from a practical perspective, people don’t use these provisions.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hope my experiences didn’t offend you.

I had a boss once who said that if anyone were to ask her for upgrade approval, she’d just management reassign them to a job without travel.

So, yes, there are provisions for business class travel if the travel is over 14 hours and there’s a medical reason for it. However, from a practical perspective, people don’t use these provisions.
your boss was being a bit harsh. All she had to do is what I do. When people ask me for permission to travel on business class, I smile and say no, you can leave 24 hours earlier and catch up on your sleep when you arrive.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by jcamp028
Originally Posted by halls120
your boss was being a bit harsh. All she had to do is what I do. When people ask me for permission to travel on business class, I smile and say no, you can leave 24 hours earlier and catch up on your sleep when you arrive.
In my experience, this is what most units will do. Barring a mission-critical reason the dates of travel are non-negotiable, it's usually less expensive for the taxpayer for the traveler to go out a day or even two early than to travel in J.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Not to go far OT, but this is a bad analysis. Value means more than dollars to the taxpayer. An extra day of someone's time is not merely the hourly cost of their salary, but rather the loss of the person's contribution.

For any one employee on any one trip, it does not matter. But, the USG is a large place and if every 14+ hour trip results in an extra day of employee time, that has an impact at agencies where international travel is routine. If someone takes 12 such trips a year, that is 12 days of their value lost. That value is measured by more than salary.

While it's unfashionable to give a nod to government rules, this is one where bigger picture thinkers have thought about the issue and worker bees have not or don't care.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:32 pm

Mmm ... no, it's NOT bad analysis. The consideration of mission-critical reasons is an out that allows leadership to look at the big picture and the traveler to NOT take the extra day of travel when the situation warrants but IME it's rare that the extra day out of the office will have that much impact. It's far more common IME that someone overestimates their contribution as part of a rationalization to let them travel J or arrange the schedule for their convenience.

I've also seen the other extreme where someone purposely set international meetings to start on a Monday morning and then raised the issue that s/he couldn't be made to travel on a weekend so he'd have to travel on the preceding Wed or Thurs.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Mmm ... no, it's NOT bad analysis. The consideration of mission-critical reasons is an out that allows leadership to look at the big picture and the traveler to NOT take the extra day of travel when the situation warrants but IME it's rare that the extra day out of the office will have that much impact. It's far more common IME that someone overestimates their contribution as part of a rationalization to let them travel J or arrange the schedule for their convenience.

I've also seen the other extreme where someone purposely set international meetings to start on a Monday morning and then raised the issue that s/he couldn't be made to travel on a weekend so he'd have to travel on the preceding Wed or Thurs.
This. When I took over at one unit, I had one employee who would attend a 4 hour meeting halfway around the world and the take 4 days of leave, essentially getting the taxpayer to fund his vacation. He soon lateraled to another unit, and is still up to his same tricks. I found another employee habitually setting up witness interviews in another country on a Friday, giving him a free weekend with his girlfriend who lived there. We finally caught him canning the interview altogether, and yes, he moved on when we cracked down.

I’ve often joked with colleagues about a perfect retirement part time job - auditing government employee travel, with my only compensation a 10% cut of the value of the travel funds my audit recovers. It would be the easiest job I ever had.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This. When I took over at one unit, I had one employee who would attend a 4 hour meeting halfway around the world and the take 4 days of leave, essentially getting the taxpayer to fund his vacation.
We deal with that by only allowing leave days up to the number of business days of travel. Our policy on recovery days seems to be extra generous though - it's apparently on all trips, not just flights over a certain length. I've taken a couple personal days on short trips (like LA to the bay area, where it's normally same day return) where I tried to not get reimbursed and they reimbursed the days anyway.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

This. When I took over at one unit, I had one employee who would attend a 4 hour meeting halfway around the world and the take 4 days of leave, essentially getting the taxpayer to fund his vacation. He soon lateraled to another unit, and is still up to his same tricks. I found another employee habitually setting up witness interviews in another country on a Friday, giving him a free weekend with his girlfriend who lived there. We finally caught him canning the interview altogether, and yes, he moved on when we cracked down.

I’ve often joked with colleagues about a perfect retirement part time job - auditing government employee travel, with my only compensation a 10% cut of the value of the travel funds my audit recovers. It would be the easiest job I ever had.
A perfect example of how not to look at the issue. On both ends.

1. The employee who conducts witness interviews out of town on a Friday so he can spend the weekend with his GF is doing nothing wrong and is to be commended for improving his work-life balance at no cost to the taxpayer (presuming that Friday interviews are just as good as Thursday interviews and don't cost more). I could care less where someone spends off-duty hours.

2. The employee who traveled and then cancelled or never scheduled the interview was engaged in fraud and the fact that he "moved on" rather than being terminated or otherwise disciplined, if not referred for prosecution, is waste or abuse in and of itself on the part of the supervisors who knew of it and swept it under the rug.. That is where the IG can be most useful, not simply dinging individual government travelers because their taxi receipt ink is smudged.

As to "recovery" days and the like, this suggests over-staffing when it is a routine practice. If you can afford to have someone out of the office taking extra time off, perhaps it is better to cut the staffing and step up the class of travel a bit.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:22 am

2. The employee who traveled and then cancelled or never scheduled the interview was engaged in fraud and the fact that he "moved on" rather than being terminated or otherwise disciplined, if not referred for prosecution, is waste or abuse in and of itself on the part of the supervisors who knew of it and swept it under the rug.. That is where the IG can be most useful, not simply dinging individual government travelers because their taxi receipt ink is smudged.
LOL, the DOJ IG recently concluded that one Criminal Division supervisor lied during an investigation into his subordinate's sexual harassment. He's still employed, and no disciplinary action was taken.

I think it's charming how you think the IG has real power.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Doesn't such travel need supervisory approval? If so, why shouldn't the supervisor say "no"?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
1. The employee who conducts witness interviews out of town on a Friday so he can spend the weekend with his GF is doing nothing wrong and is to be commended for improving his work-life balance at no cost to the taxpayer (presuming that Friday interviews are just as good as Thursday interviews and don't cost more). I could care less where someone spends off-duty hours.
That's assuming the interview was necessary in the first place, and also assumes that it couldn't be conducted with others on Thursday, Wednesday, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

This thread has gone away off topic. The OP asked, " How do I achieve 1K status as a government flyer? ". While some discussion of government travel rules is to be expected, the recent discussions how to ask for paid premium travel and on mixing leisure and government has gotten far off the OP's query and are not UA related.

Let's return discussing how government travelers gain 1K on UA.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.