Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K Status as a US Government Flyer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Get an affiliated credit card that waives the PQD. Easy, peasy. Did it for years while flying on government fares. Well worth it.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Get an affiliated credit card that waives the PQD. .....
Does not work for 1K. No credit card PQD waivers for 1K -- just Plat or lower.
brp1264 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does not work for 1K. No credit card PQD waivers for 1K -- just Plat or lower.
The other reason it won't work is that for government travel, we are required to use our government travel card. Using a personal card is the quickest route to an audit and administrative action.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
What's the point of being 1K on United if you don't plan to fly United? Why not just achieve *G and then bail?
RPU and GPU

Plus the majority of my travel is domestic, so I still fly them a ton, just international is done on other airlines.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by halls120
The other reason it won't work is that for government travel, we are required to use our government travel card. Using a personal card is the quickest route to an audit and administrative action.
No one said you had to use the card to purchase plane tickets. The PQD waiver works (up through Plat) regardless of who is buying the ticket, as long as you have $25,000 of annual spend on the card.
Miggles and drewguy like this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by threeoh
No one said you had to use the card to purchase plane tickets. The PQD waiver works (up through Plat) regardless of who is buying the ticket, as long as you have $25,000 of annual spend on the card.
True, but someone upthread didn't draw that distinction, and I've had employees get into trouble for using their branded card to get extra miles.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by therossinator
At least on United, the government desk is more than happy to take the value of the ticket that SATO purchased you and apply that (plus the fare difference out of your pocket), for a ticket in J under the same locator but they caution that you will have to pay a change fee should you need to adjust your ticket. If you need to change your ticket and you're not able to pay that change fee, you are absolutely screwed. The government desk are the only agents within UA that are cable of adjusting a government issued ticket like this.
News to me . . . how does one reach the government desk?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
News to me . . . how does one reach the government desk?
Here is the number on my sticknote: 1866 350 5995.
Happy travel.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Also, if leave in conjunction with official travel (LICWO), one may not use their GTCC or book one of the City Pairs fares.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann
Also, if leave in conjunction with official travel (LICWO), one may not use their GTCC or book one of the City Pairs fares.
That's an overly broad statement, I think you can still use city pairs and your travel card for expenses during the official work portion. And there may be a lot of more restrictive agency-specific rules. For example, in my case, if I go on official travel, and take a couple days of leave during that trip, I would still book my round-trip flight from home to destination as a govt city pair. I can't however, use city pairs for a personal side trip or travel card for hotel expenses during the leave days.
Miggles and drewguy like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
That's an overly broad statement, I think you can still use city pairs and your travel card for expenses during the official work portion. And there may be a lot of more restrictive agency-specific rules. For example, in my case, if I go on official travel, and take a couple days of leave during that trip, I would still book my round-trip flight from home to destination as a govt city pair. I can't however, use city pairs for a personal side trip or travel card for hotel expenses during the leave days.
Yeah, my understanding is that so long as the routing would be the same, adding leave in conjunction with official travel doesn't disqualify use of gov't fares. Of course, you're on your own for lodging, etc. It's only if you take a different routing, or add flights, that you have to pay on your own.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One of the biggest risks in broad discussions of government travel is that there are GSA rules which may apply to all who do not have a specific exemption. Then there are others which are agency-by-agency or even decision-unit-by-decision unit. One can have a giant debate about all of this, but that isn't really helpful for practical travel purposes.

Always best to check the rules as they exist for you. Never good to show a print out from an anonymous internet board to your agency's IG.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
One of the biggest risks in broad discussions of government travel is that there are GSA rules which may apply to all who do not have a specific exemption. Then there are others which are agency-by-agency or even decision-unit-by-decision unit. One can have a giant debate about all of this, but that isn't really helpful for practical travel purposes.

Always best to check the rules as they exist for you. Never good to show a print out from an anonymous internet board to your agency's IG.
That is true - to be clear, my references have been to the Federal Travel Rule (FTR). Of course, agencies may have more restrictive policies (but they can't be less restrictive, except where FTR may authorize deviations).
Old Nov 9, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Dear OP. I am an employee at an FFRDC so I am subject to many of the same rules (without access to the M class fares.. I some times get them if NSF, NASA or DOE is direct booking for me).

1) Don't abuse it. 1K is not worth getting fired or worse. This is the taxpayers money.
2) some times a bargain buyup comes along. not a checked in buy up (no extra PQM there).
3) The one year I made 1K it was due to two personal trips to Australia... I ended up doing a 1K MR to make up the PQD..
4) I would not do that again. I do better on UGs this year as a gold hitting checked in upgrade offers. GPUs are almost only useful if you can fund inventory to allow it to clear on booking. And given GSA rules (personal days before etc) that's hard to wrangle.. read the threads.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
GPUs are almost only useful if you can fund inventory to allow it to clear on booking.
Or if you're using your GPUs for personal travel, which wouldn't be subject to the same restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.