Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking paid Air Canada flights on United website is strange, not all are available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking paid Air Canada flights on United website is strange, not all are available

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jonsail
.....I am still unsure if, in the event that a Star Alliance flight is not showing on the United website, it is EVER possible to book that flight using United miles.
The award availability of an *A flight has nothing to do with the availability of that flight on UA as a paid flight. Not at all related.

I have seen flights available for award bookings but not available for paid bookings. UA is not a generic travel agency and decides selective which non-UA flights it makes available. Additionally other airlines can place restrictions on who can sell their flights ("plating: rules). Plating does not apply to award flights.

I have seen flights available for paid bookings but not available for award bookings. Partners decide which awards seats they have and if they are available to partners / UA.

The decision process is different in each case and is made by a different airline in each case.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
For what it is worth, on the Air Canada websites the earlier and later flights were selling for equal prices.
Price has nothing to do with award availability. You're trying to create an equivalency that simply doesn't exist.

I am still unsure if, in the event that a Star Alliance flight is not showing on the United website, it is EVER possible to book that flight using United miles.
Searching for award flights and searching for paid flights will give absolutely different results.

Paid flights will ONLY show United flights, United Codeshares, and potentially a very small number of other flights United has chosen to display (which for most routes will be zero).

Award flights will show ANY flight, for ANY Star Alliance or partner airline, that has seats available for AWARD bookings.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Try search for the specific flight on Google flight and see if you are allowed to book the flight via united.com. That's the work around.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by smxflyer
? You can easily buy AC coded flights through United.com, but I agree that is is often limited with respect to economy fares.
how will you do this? On a paid ticket? AC code all the way? The OP wants an itinerary on AC metal only with no UA segment ... if you want united.com to sell you this ... you need a UA codeshare. There used to be ways around this years ago, but I am not aware of a way to do this today.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
how will you do this? On a paid ticket? AC code all the way? The OP wants an itinerary on AC metal only with no UA segment ... if you want united.com to sell you this ... you need a UA codeshare. There used to be ways around this years ago, but I am not aware of a way to do this today.
It depends upon the route. On routes where no codeshares are offered -- for example, domestic Canadian routes -- you can easily book native AC codes. On routes where codeshares are available -- such as transborder routes, such as the OP's route -- you will get UA codes for flights that have them and likely will not get any results with native AC codes at all.

The behavior is similar with other partners -- it's not limited to AC. If codeshares make sense in the market, that's what UA will show you; if not, they'll show you everything they have available to sell.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It depends upon the route. On routes where no codeshares are offered -- for example, domestic Canadian routes -- you can easily book native AC codes. On routes where codeshares are available -- such as transborder routes, such as the OP's route -- you will get UA codes for flights that have them and likely will not get any results with native AC codes at all.

The behavior is similar with other partners -- it's not limited to AC. If codeshares make sense in the market, that's what UA will show you; if not, they'll show you everything they have available to sell.
right, that certainly works, like with a number of other airlines. Transborder, TPAC, TATL I don't know of any way to buy tickets that have AC code only on 016 ticket stock. It used to work and I wish UA would bring this back ... so if anyone knows a way ... happy to hear about it.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Not all flights are codeshare. For me from BWI, if I wanted, I could probably book an AC codeshare BWI-ORD-YVR, but if I try to search United for, say, BWI-TYO, only UA and ANA options will pop up, not BWI-YYZ-HND.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aresef
Not all flights are codeshare. For me from BWI, if I wanted, I could probably book an AC codeshare BWI-ORD-YVR, but if I try to search United for, say, BWI-TYO, only UA and ANA options will pop up, not BWI-YYZ-HND.
UA and AC don't have a JV for TPAC travel. Even if there happens to be a codeshare on the YYZ-HND flight, UA might not particularly want to sell it to you when there are UA/NH options available. (UA and NH do have a JV for TPAC).
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA and AC don't have a JV for TPAC travel. Even if there happens to be a codeshare on the YYZ-HND flight, UA might not particularly want to sell it to you when there are UA/NH options available. (UA and NH do have a JV for TPAC).
Right. The takeaway is that UA has a codeshare if it benefits UA to have a codeshare. Nobody lands at YYZ or YVR from a UA flight with the intention of connecting to another UA flight
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
right, that certainly works, like with a number of other airlines. Transborder, TPAC, TATL I don't know of any way to buy tickets that have AC code only on 016 ticket stock. It used to work and I wish UA would bring this back ... so if anyone knows a way ... happy to hear about it.
Any travel agent should be able to do this without problem - although you may need to have at least one of the legs on a UA flight number (codeshare is fine).

eg, in 2 weeks I'm flying SFO to PEK via YVR return. Initially I was on all AC. Changed the first leg to UA (in this case UA metal), and our travel agents were happy to ticket it on 016. Last time I did the same thing (to HKG that time) I picked the UA codeshare/AC metal SFO-YVR flight, and was again able to ticket on 016.

This presumes that AC allows the fares you're after to be ticketed on UA, but at least for their discount business fares they do always seem to allow this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Any travel agent should be able to do this without problem - although you may need to have at least one of the legs on a UA flight number (codeshare is fine).
Of course, even United.com will sell you that. The problem we are discussing is how to book AC coded flights with only AC codes on the ticket when you are on codeshare routes ... that just doesn't work on united.com anymore and TAs will get into a lot of trouble if they do that.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Of course, even United.com will sell you that. The problem we are discussing is how to book AC coded flights with only AC codes on the ticket when you are on codeshare routes ... that just doesn't work on united.com anymore and TAs will get into a lot of trouble if they do that.
ive definitely seen AC codes on domestic Canada portions of transborder itineraries, in fact, quite often. Something like ORD-YYC-YVR where the AC segment books as the AC flight number. The AC transborder flights do seem to book into The codeshare number always. For some reason, domestic Canada doesn’t most of the time, even though I know at least sone domestic Canada flights on many popular routes have a UA number.

A couple of ways to potentially solve this. One is with a google flights - search there, and it will often show the native operated flights, and allow you to book on United.com. Another is to book with the UA number online and call right away to see if they can change it to the native AC flight number. Not sure what the policy is on this currently, and haven’t tried it recently - but have had an agent do this maybe a couple of years ago on a UA-coded LH segment. You can always cancel within 24 hours if they won’t. You can also try just calling in - again, not recently but also probably a couple of years ago, I could only find the codeshare number online, so just called and booked directly through reservations who were happy to ticket on the native AC flight number. This itinerary also had a UA connection on it, so YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.