Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Middle seat or aisle, next to toilet, what would you choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

UA944, B777, I noticed that just 2 options are available: Empty middle seat in the middle section of plane or last row, aisle, next to toilet. What should I choose?
I mean, the toilet smell would last for seconds, but sitting between 2 people will last 9 hours...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Any aisle beats any middle seat on any flight.

But, that is subjective. You may find being disturbed worse than being uncomfortable.
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

I'd say the choice depends on your personal sensitivity to odors. Nobody can tell you what that is, and there is no "right" or "wrong" about it.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you Efrem. I will give some more info about my preferences:
- I dont think I'll be bothered from the flushing sounds of the toilet because I will watch movies on a very high volume
- I dont think I'll be served dinner last because I have a special meal request which is being served first in many airlines, but I dont know if UA does it, too
- I will go to toilet at least twice
It scares me more to sit between 2 people than sitting aisle next to toilet. What are your experiences having a middle seat?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would take the aisle next to the toilet
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Okan Tas
What are your experiences having a middle seat?
If you have a specific question I'd be glad to answer it, but this is a bit too broad. With nearly 4 million miles in just the two frequent flyer programs listed in the profile under my name, I've spent more time in middle seats than many people have spent at work in their entire careers so far - even though it's not my preference. Surely you don't want me to recount all of it?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
When is this flight? UA does block some seats for operations reasons and releases them for selection at check-in. It also has Economy Plus seats that some people try to gamble and get assigned to. I’d personally select one of those two seats and keep checking as the day of flight approaches.

Currently UA944 is an early afternoon departure which means more people will be awake during this flight Which means more frequent use of the lav. Just something to consider.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:17 pm Reason: Correct UY to UA
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
When is this flight? UA does block some seats for operations reasons and releases them for selection at check-in. It also has Economy Plus seats that some people try to gamble and get assigned to. I’d personally select one of those two seats and keep checking as the day of flight approaches. ...

Yeah but I think I'd have to pay for the Plus seats in advance, right? Or is there an offical "click and gamble" button?

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Currently UA944 is an early afternoon departure which means more people will be awake during this flight Which means more frequent use of the lav. Just something to consider.
Very interesting, never thought of time of flight and frequency of lav. Yes you're right, it departs at approx. 2 pm.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2018 at 11:31 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
By not selecting the seat you take the gamble of being assigned to any open economy seat with a possibility of being put in an E+ seat. It’s a poor gambling my mind. Myself I just don’t do middle seats because I am too big and don’t want to take up the shoulder space of my guests. If I am in the window or aisle I can lean or contort myself to at least make it comfortable enough for all involved.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My two cents, I'd take the aisle seat.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm fairly certain that, at check-in, you'll have a few more to choose from!
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving this to the United Forum so others may also benefit from the discussion.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Aisle
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Aisle
+1
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only thing I dislike about that particular aisle seat is being face to butt if there's a line up of people waiting for the lav.
(I've had that seat and when the after dinner line up happened, I just stood up, went to the end of the line and returned to my seat when the line was gone.)
Also on the plane I was on, the last row seats didn't recline, but the row in front of us sure did.
Given your choice, unlike most here, I'd give consideration to taking the middle. I'm thin, so unless I get squeezed by my seatmates, middle ain't that big a deal to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.