Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Ad Confuses Shanghai & Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Having taken a look through photos of Anji, other than a few mislabeled ones, I'm pretty confident that the ad was not shot there.
I agree.
The sides of the pathway from the UA ad are quite unique, and the only ones I could find that look like that are attributed to Kyoto.
blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_76ae9ab10101m146.html - Translator

Is it possible that the advertising company and/or the production company lied to UA about where the footage was taken?
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:57 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

Does Kyoto have exclusive claim to a bamboo garden?
yes.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
I agree.
The sides of the pathway from the UA ad are quite unique, and the only ones I could find that look like that are attributed to Kyoto.

Is it possible that the advertising company and/or the production company lied to UA about where the footage was taken?
Sure - the marketing company could've taken liberty with the location - but your picture doesn't look like the United picture.....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Having taken a look through photos of Anji, other than a few mislabeled ones, I'm pretty confident that the ad was not shot there.
Yeah. The railings certainly appear to be from Kyoto, although it appears the path may have been "filled in" with something so that the lower railing/restraint is buried.

I am guessing it's stock footage with an overlay that the marketing company mislabeled. That, or it 's a really good Chinese knockoff of Japan.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Sure - the marketing company could've taken liberty with the location - but your picture doesn't look like the United picture.....
(bolding mine)

To me it does. There's another one below.
Looks almost identical IMO, especially considering they may have doctored it some, and it wasn't taken at the EXACT same spot.
Maybe they asked Anji for permission to film there and were denied and Kyoto agreed?

Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:12 pm

Dunno, but if you do a search for "Arashiyama Bamboo Grove" you turn up a ton of pictures like this, which looks, lighting and coloring aside, remarkably similar to the UA ad.

Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Dunno, but if you do a search for "Arashiyama Bamboo Grove" you turn up a ton of pictures like this, which looks, lighting and coloring aside, remarkably similar to the UA ad.
Your picture looks closer - and the UA photo may well be in Japan, or even likely. The UA pic does have a very rough around the edges on the path which none of the Japan photos have which seem very well maintained.....
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Your picture looks closer - and the UA photo may well be in Japan, or even likely. The UA pic does have a very rough around the edges on the path which none of the Japan photos have which seem very well maintained.....
I'll be persuaded when someone posts a picture of a Chinese bamboo grove that looks remotely similar. Haven't found one yet . . .
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
At first look it really seemed similar to me, he could be standing in front of the red marker. They would have needed to fill up the path with sand though, and why should they have done this?

Also the path in the background appears to be continuing to the left in the video, while there only appears to be a small "turnout" at Arashiyama. Could be the perspective though. Also they would have needed to cut one tree (at least out of the video).

But I tend to believe, that it really is this one. Searched through thousand of chinese photos now, and did not find any similar "hedge" behind the fence in any of these.

Same perspective on Google Street View:
https://www.google.de/maps/@35.01710...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by delpiero223; Nov 5, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Ad company’s, movie producers, they all use alternative sites for everything. UA didn’t screw up, it’s a advertisement and nothing else. If this is what your going to hold over UA’s head, well, you have bigger problems.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Folks - For all of you questioning the single vs. double rails at Arashiyama, the reality is there are multiple sections / side paths with different surface materials (stone, sand, steps) and railings (single, double, high, low). Most of the photos online are of the most iconic main section, but I was there last year and saw various deviations.

The Anji forest, on the other hand, looks totally different. United (or its outside agency) is lying when they say that they "have confirmed that the bamboo forest pictured on our recent ad is indeed in Shanghai." It is not.

As to whether it matters is another question.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:20 pm

Folks - For all of you questioning the single vs. double rails at Arashiyama, the reality is there are multiple sections / side paths with different surface materials (stone, sand, steps) and railings (single, double, high, low). Most of the photos online are of the most iconic main section, but I was there last year and saw various deviations.

The Anji forest, on the other hand, looks totally different. United (or its outside agency) is lying when they say that they "have confirmed that the bamboo forest pictured on our recent ad is indeed in Shanghai." It is not.

As to whether it matters is another question.
Looks like someone will have to volunteer flying to Osaka, find the exact GPS coordinates + direction and take a photo to clear up all doubt. United could should sponsor the flight for clarifcation purposes though.

Too bad, Street View coverage is from 2010 and only covers two of the paths.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:50 am

Ok, so there's an article citing Flyertalk now

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....s-japan-china/
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
there are tons of "bamboo gardens" in Shanghai.

Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
there are tons of "bamboo gardens" in Shanghai.

So why NOT film it there then?
capedreamer and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.