United Ad Confuses Shanghai & Kyoto

Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
United Ad Confuses Shanghai & Kyoto

Just came across this ad in my Instagram stories. (These are screenshots from a video; think you get the idea.)

narvik likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
It's from their Fall 2018 ad campaign, video is here:
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Kyoto has an airport?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Kyoto has an airport?
It's served by Itami.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid question - I guess this scenery is somehow famous near Kyoto and OP knows for sure it does not exist near Shanghai?

UA does not do ORD-KIX, right?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:05 am

I lived in Shanghai for 6 years. This could easily be a park in and around Shanghai. While the photo may have been taken in Kyoto, it certainly could be representative of Shanghai.
nancypants and jbeans like this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by username
Stupid question - I guess this scenery is somehow famous near Kyoto and OP knows for sure it does not exist near Shanghai?

Not a stupid question, but this is not just some random all-purpose "stock image" scenery for Asia. It's the famous Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, and given the complicated history between China and Japan, this would be something akin to captioning footage of the Taj Mahal with 'Pakistan'.

Will the majority of US audiences notice anything? Probably not, but it's such an easy mistake to avoid / fix, why make it?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:31 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by username

Not anymore UA did do ORD-KIX, flew it many times
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card

Does Kyoto have exclusive claim to a bamboo garden?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer

Obviously not, but this is one is quite iconic and is recognizable immediately as the only one that looks like that anywhere. It is absolutely the one in Kyoto.

Similarly, Niagara Falls has no exclusive claim to being a waterfall but one can certainly tell a picture of Niagara Falls instantly even if a photo caption tries to tell us it is Angel Falls.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Looking at the ad again, in which the other depicted cities are in their actual locations (or at least the sets look very realistic ), I suppose it's the laziness of the ad company to use a stock footage, or it was a last-minute change from Japan to Shanghai. I see how this can be irritating.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Obviously not, but this is one is quite iconic and is recognizable immediately as the only one that looks like that anywhere. It is absolutely the one in Kyoto.
I agree. The Arashiyama Bamboo Grove in Kyoto is pretty distinct. An image search for bamboo groves in Shanghai turns up examples, but nothing like Arashiyama. Heck, a bunch of the images in the Shanghai image search are of Arashiyama.

"Uniting the world...generally speaking."
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
I agree. The Arashiyama Bamboo Grove in Kyoto is pretty distinct. An image search for bamboo groves in Shanghai turns up examples, but nothing like Arashiyama. Heck, a bunch of the images in the Shanghai image search are of Arashiyama.
And that may be another part of their error in not knowing that the image used is incorrect.

David
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:22 am

This reminds me of one of the earliest UA ad campaigns when it had first acquired Pan Am's Asian routes back in the mid 80s. The ad featured a variety of masks, IIRC, and confused Japan with China. More than 30 years on, they are still confused...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
It does to the one depicted here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.