Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coltonatx

The reason I keep the UA membership is to access the lounge when I fly WN domestically as they offer more non-stop destinations than any other carrier out of AUS or when I fly a *A partner back from Europe, but connecting in EWR, IAH, ORD, IAD.
That is precisely the type of flier they want to keep out - you are making the business case.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm already on the fence about renewing UC membership next year, and this is definitely a push in the "no" direction.

The new rule makes much more sense for DL, since they give SkyClub membership to DMs as a choice benefit option. With UA, everyone - including 1K and GS - is paying for UC membership.
Not everyone pays. Some have it bundled with their Chase cards, or in my case, an unpublished benefit for the JPM Reserve card.

I rarely use UC when flying WN as there are no UCs at OAK, BUR, SLC, MDW, etc. and not terribly convenient at LAX, LAS, etc. And not convenient for AS @sfo. So maybe this is a plus if it frees up space in the club, but I'd bet the effect will be minimal at hubs.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not everyone pays. Some have it bundled with their Chase cards, or in my case, an unpublished benefit for the JPM Reserve card.
The UC membership is the primary benefit of the Club card (ever notice its name?), which has an annual fee of $450. It's like buying a club membership at a slight discount.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
I have no idea how aggressive UA intends to be with this; I just thought I should point out that it's a specific violation of the contract of carriage.
IIRC there were reports of them going after pax who had done it only once, but that was for the Polaris Lounge (bought refundable J ticket to use the PL). The lounge agent would get a notification if someone in the lounge canceled their flight.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
That is precisely the type of flier they want to keep out - you are making the business case.
They want to keep out the members that cough up $550 a year and visit every now and then instead of those who use is ALL the time... it makes no sense

I have no idea how aggressive UA intends to be with this; I just thought I should point out that it's a specific violation of the contract of carriage.

So, you're paying $25 or more for each club entry? I wonder if you'd be getting your money's worth even if they hadn't changed the access rules.

I love AUS. The best part of the airport is that I can get from my car to the gate in 20 minutes. I'm not a member, so I only get lounge access when I'm on an international itinerary, but I still don't think I've ever spent more than 15 minutes in the AUS UC.

Not easily, as allowing access to *G members is part of the *A agreement.
I work nearby the airport; it isn't convenient for me to go home and drive back to the airport. So I generally, head to the airport and relax before my flight. The lounge made sense to instead of staying at work additional time or being in the main terminal.

Additionally, I can bring in my spouse when we travel together. That's $59 * 2 = $118 per visit.

Another instance is when I fly OS VIE-IAD-AUS. No UA lounge access on arrival at IAD unless I have my UA membership.

I will use the benefit as my membership just renewed; although, I do believe the number of paid members will thin out after Nov 1.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2019 at 11:56 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 23, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
The UC membership is the primary benefit of the Club card (ever notice its name?), which has an annual fee of $450. It's like buying a club membership at a slight discount.
The AF for my JPMR card is $150 after travel credits (similar to CSR). For that price I’m happy to keep UC even with the mediocre clubs and new restrictions.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I work nearby the airport; it isn't convenient for me to go home and drive back to the airport. So I generally, head to the airport and relax before my flight. The lounge made sense to instead of staying at work additional time or being in the main terminal.
Fair enough.

UA wants you to fly UA, even when WN has a nonstop option. Personally, I think I've flown WN twice since I moved back to Austin in 2012. The inability to reserve an extra-legroom seat is a dealbreaker for me. Still, you were wondering why they'd rather have a membership from somebody who visits regularly instead of a couple of times a year, and the answer is that the clubs aren't really a profit center for the airlines. They're trying to get you to fly more, and, specifically, to fly UA more. Anyway, you'll now have a choice to make -- connect on UA and use your club benefits, or fly nonstop on WN and wait in the terminal or at work.

Additionally, I can bring in my spouse when we travel together. That's $59 * 2 = $118 per visit.
It isn't, though. For $118, you could buy anything on the menu at any of the restaurants downstairs. Heck, you could even get a whole brisket to-go and still have money left over for a meal. I understand that UA sells one-time passes for $59, but that doesn't mean that they're worth $59. The street value of the passes -- check eBay -- is about $20-25. And I suspect that if you were asked to pay $118 to enter the club, you'd decline.

I will use the benefit as my membership just renewed; although, I do believe the number of paid members will thin out after Nov 1.
I imagine that their biggest target is probably one-time pass users who aren't flying UA, but, yes, there will certainly be a drop in memberships.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Ditto. If Shuttle by United still existed I would have the option to fly United between LAX and OAK, but they are long gone. However this change is a scam regardless of whether United serves a particular market.

The crux of the issue is that restricting entry was not contemplated by any airline 20 to 40 years ago when they sold these lifetime memberships. Nor was it contemplated by the buyers of these memberships. Closing of clubs or shutdown of the airline were, however, real possibilities contemplated by both parties.

In recent years airlines caused overcrowding by handing out club passes like Halloween candy. The airlines decided to solve the problem they had created by, in part, cheating lifetime members out of a paid-in-advance benefit. Delta recognized and reversed its error. UA and AA still say "We took your money, but what have you done for us lately?"

There's a difference between what's legal and what's right. UA and AA may win a legal battle on this issue but they can never argue that changing their bargain long after the transaction is right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsW9MlYu31g
getting rid of free day passes would be a great thing to decrease overcrowding
Old May 23, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
getting rid of free day passes would be a great thing to decrease overcrowding
I don't know how true that is -- given that they are a limited and exhaustible resource (IIRC, you only get 2/year and they expire within the year), and encourage more judicious use of the clubs. I can't imagine they pose a credible overcrowding source -- though if they were made non-transferable that would certainly reduce some uses.

That's contrasted to the current UC memberships (annual and lifetime) where the use is essentially unlimited at present and you have every motivation to use the club as often as possible. I know there are times I've popped into a club for a 15-20 minute visit that I certainly wouldn't have done if either I was paying the day use fee or had some limited number of chits to exchange for admission.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
... I know there are times I've popped into a club for a 15-20 minute visit that I certainly wouldn't have done if either I was paying the day use fee or had some limited number of chits to exchange for admission.
I've popped in for 5 minutes r less at times ... that's one of the reasons I bought my membership lo these many years ago.

Last edited by Xyzzy; May 28, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I was spending $5-10K per year on UA.

Now it is zero, all because of this policy change.

Last edited by nachosdelux; May 28, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
My annual fee came due and I just cancelled the card after four years. It's funny, because I've hardly stepped foot in a club this year just because my travel has been down, which makes me precisely the customer they'd want to retain.

I'd have coughed up the annual fee if I knew I could still somewhat be a free agent (as needed) and still have the (few) perks that come with visiting a club, but reducing the benefit substantially while leaving the card's annual fee the same is an unpleasant move on United's part.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mikey
And yet they expect me to fly them for access to the club.
It honestly probably never occurred to the people who designed the clubs that anyone would ever use them when they weren’t flying their airline. If it had, they’d have made this rule from the beginning.

Of course I'm going to choose Alaska rather than spend another five to six hours traveling on UA.
You’ve just made UA’s business case for them.

So yet again, after November I will be penalized by United for not using United when United is terribly inconvenient for many of the places that I go lately.
I have flown between Seattle and Austin quite a few times.

I have never flown the Alaska or Delta non-stop flights.

For me, I’m happy to connect in order to get free E+ and the chance to upgrade. For you, UA is asking you to connect in order to access the club. They can’t connect every pair of cities with nonstop flights, and you don’t live in a UA hub; it stands to reason that UA will often be less convenient than AS for a Seattle-based passenger. They offer enticements — lower fares, premier benefits, club access, etc. — to try to make up for their disadvantage from a schedule perspective.

You’re certainly welcome to fly Alaska, and as a lifetime UC member, I don’t blame you for being upset, but this shouldn’t really be a surprise. The United Club isn’t likely to be a profitable enterprise on its own, especially when they offer lifetime membership. It’s a loss leader, designed to get you to purchase more UA flights.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:02 am

It honestly probably never occurred to the people who designed the clubs that anyone would ever use them when they weren’t flying their airline. If it had, they’d have made this rule from the beginning.
I'm not sure this is true. They even bent over backwards to create gate passes for club access for non-flying members once passing security required a boarding pass.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
I'm not sure this is true. They even bent over backwards to create gate passes for club access for non-flying members once passing security required a boarding pass.
Sure, but how many non-flying members did they really have? That number has to be dwarfed by the number of OAL passengers.

Besides, both statements could be true: they could have originally envisioned the clubs as passenger-only, then decided to allow gate passes when somebody complained and they realized that people were using the clubs in situations they hadn’t originally envisioned.

I should probably withdraw the statement, though. It’d be more correct to say that they probably never envisioned anyone would use the clubs when they weren’t flying with that airline, and just leave it at that. There wasn’t much of a need for a rule of any kind until crowding started to become an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.