Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations. Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx

"Contracted partner" appears to refer to non *A partners and those flights will need to be on a UA ticket to qualify.
*A partner flights also qualify even if not on a UA ticket.

"Admittance to United Club locations is permitted only at the departure and arrival airports for United, Star Alliance or a contracted partner operated flights" appears to mean that passengers are only permitted to access the United Club at the airport(s) at which their same-day flight either arrives or departs.

This requirement also applies to guest(s).

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This thread has had two parallel discussions, which will become even more confusing as the new UC access policy is implemented, so the original thread has been split into two separate threads.

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) will be for the discussion of if UA should offer an exception to the new UC access policy (only with same day BP with UA or partners) for Lifetime United Club members.

This thread will continue as the discussion thread for the base policy and issues in its implementation. But please discuss the lifetime membership concerns in the other thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Related thread Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
Print Wikipost

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Nope. I think there will be quite a fuss when (if?) this policy goes into effect. Possibly even media attention.
You mean like FT media or real media? There is no way that the real media cares unless there is a class action lawsuit or something.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You mean like FT media or real media? There is no way that the real media cares unless there is a class action lawsuit or something.
Nothing happened when the same-day boarding pass requirement went into effect a few years ago (and the gate pass benefit was quietly terminated). That set the stage for this change and was probably more impactful because it was basically telling lifetime members who bought a membership under the assumption that they could go to the club whenever they wanted that now they now couldn't. I'm sure further restrictions will follow. And none of them really have an impact on the crowding--they just annoy a small subset of paid members like me that post on FT.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Nothing happened when the same-day boarding pass requirement went into effect a few years ago (and the gate pass benefit was quietly terminated). That set the stage for this change and was probably more impactful because it was basically telling lifetime members who bought a membership under the assumption that they could go to the club whenever they wanted that now they now couldn't. I'm sure further restrictions will follow. And none of them really have an impact on the crowding--they just annoy a small subset of paid members like me that post on FT.
Except that the percentage of lifetime members who used the clubs when they did not have a same-day ticket on any airline was akin to a rounding error - and access when not flying on any airline was probably not factored into the equation when deciding to purchase a lifetime membership.

This change affects far more lifetime members, and far more often -- especially those who are based in non-hub stations with UC's. One could make a very real argument that United sold us one product, and (beginning on November 1) will be delivering a different product. The fact that they gave members a full year's notice is also telling: "When you buy this product, this is exactly what you're getting -- and you are not getting in if you are flying on an airline which is not UA or a partner." That's not what they sold me.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
...That's not what they sold me.
What they sold had T&Cs allowing them to change access requirements anytime they wanted.
Not nice they did, but the airlines have always written the T&Cs in their favor.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
This should be interesting. I have an up coming trip on 016 stock and EI metal.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
This should be interesting. I have an up coming trip on 016 stock and EI metal.
You should be fine -- EI as a partner on 016 ticket stock. for Nov 1 or later flights
will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
What they sold had T&Cs allowing them to change access requirements anytime they wanted.
Not nice they did, but the airlines have always written the T&Cs in their favor.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've lost count how many times people/companies quit UA on FT ranging from BULK tickets, no more JFK, loss of MileagePlus lifetime benefits, Dynamic awards, Silverwings, Dao incident, etc...The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side but at the rate UA has been printing money, they won't miss anyone over this issue.
Both sadly true, repeating my comments up-thread as a "lifetime" Silver Wings member and legacy UA "Million Mile Flyer."
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
So what happens if you, as a member, are flying on united but the guest is not? Does that mean the guest cannot come in?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:35 pm

Good question.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by manually
So what happens if you, as a member, are flying on united but the guest is not? Does that mean the guest cannot come in?
If guesting as a *G, the rules requires the guest is departing on an *A flight.

If guesting as a UC member, there is no written requirement (presently) for the guest to produce any BP.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

If guesting as a UC member, there is no written requirement (presently) for the guest to produce any BP.
It may not be an easily found written requirement presently but all of my [official] guests have had their boarding passes scanned after mine (based on the sequence it appears that there's some kind of "association" going on) but after Nov 1 the rules are clear, IMO

Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star AllianceTM or a contracted partner operated flight for entry into all United Club locations.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ges/rules.html

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some unofficial flexibility, e.g. if its your home airport and the agents know/don't detest you/its not a regular occurrence -- but officially guests will need a UA/*A/contracted partner BP
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Do what I do. I drink as much booze as I can at the clubs...
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Making max use of the ability to enter UCs when flying OALs while it lasts. Figure I might as well let UA know how often I'm cheating on them
Originally Posted by Mikey
Seems like a no-brainer decision versus losing a lot of business from disgruntled members.
That is probably not a warranted assumption. I'd expect UA has run the numbers and concluded this change will be a net positive from an income perspective.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

perhaps true yet my wife has been requested to show her BP at least twice in the past 9 months when traveling with me.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Collierkr
perhaps true yet my wife has been requested to show her BP at least twice in the past 9 months when traveling with me.
They absolutely will not let anyone in to the HKG UC without seeing a departing BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.